The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 AM

Although I didn't buy it, I was pleasantly surprised during my recent guitar trial at my local shop,... the Guild D-125. Sounded much better than I had expected. If I had not had my heart and mind set on a Martin, that would have been a top contender for me
IG: @mikehasbourbonandguitars
Old 06-20-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
When I recently bought a Taylor GS Mini, I thought I was just buying an inexpensive travel guitar, but it's quite a bit more than that. To say it "punches above its weight" would be an understatement.
Yep, same here. I'm still amazed at how good it plays and sounds.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 06-20-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
Yep, same here. I'm still amazed at how good it plays and sounds.
Ah I played one of those for the first time at GC last week too and I loved that hog one and I am not a hog fan. I really want to try out the koa one now. I never really gave these a chance but after hearing so much about them I decided to try one and now I see what the fuss is all about.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 06-20-2019, 12:25 PM

A new Martin 000-18. I love 000/OM bodies, in particular 18 series, but the one I ordered online was a dud. Which is the risk you take ordering online. It did nothing for me, and I moved it pretty quickly.

It’s not always possible to play before you buy, and I’ve been fortunate to have had great luck. Even if I didn’t bond with the guitars, I’ve only been truly disappointed once.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:32 PM

Taylor 324.

First time I touched one I fell in love with the tone and playability. Two years later I finally bought one (Blackwood B/S). Three years after purchase and I'm still in love with it.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:33 PM

Guild OM-120. I was looking for a festival/campfire guitar and saw this on Craigslist. Advertised as good condition, it was basically mint/untouched. It's not just a good guitar for the money (and I got it at a fraction of the new price), it's a good guitar.
2021 Martin 000-28
2017 Guild OM-120
Old 06-20-2019, 12:33 PM

My biggest surprise was the purchase of a really beat-up classical guitar. I went to go check out another guitar (can't even remember what it was), and the guy had this ragged, dinged up, battle-scarred nylon string next to it. When I declined the other guitar, he offered to sell the classical for $75. Looked well built, sounded OK, even with ancient strings, so I took it home.

Closer inspection revealed solid palo escrito back and sides, solid cedar top. Headstock design suggested it was built by a Paracho luthier, Eusebio Huipe. I was later able to confirm this through an intermediary. New strings and some play-in time revealed a loud, crisp tone. Not really voiced for classical, but perfect for flamenco (which explained the divots near the soundhole).

Hand-built, all solid guitar for $75. Paracho guitars are variable (often excretable) in quality, but Eusebio counts as one of the better luthiers.

Second great suprise was a Hohner EBDG dreadnaught I picked up for $120. Solid spruce top, laminated Macasser ebony back and sides. Did not expect much, and it certainly has some cheesy appointments on it (plastic rosette, etc), but sounds and plays great. Not Martin HD-28 great, but MUCH more than you would expect from it for what it is.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
A new Martin 000-18. I love 000/OM bodies, in particular 18 series, but the one I ordered online was a dud. Which is the risk you take ordering online. It did nothing for me, and I moved it pretty quickly.

It’s not always possible to play before you buy, and I’ve been fortunate to have had great luck. Even if I didn’t bond with the guitars, I’ve only been truly disappointed once.
I think you meant to post this in this thread.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

In truth, about every guitar I've bought, that I kept.

* In 1975 - a '73 D35 wit a broken/fixed neck fracture.

* In 1999 my first Collings DS2h (which I've just sold ...sniff)

* In 2006, my '64 Harmony Monterey

* In2009 my '99 Dobro (once I'd had all the gibson manufacturing errors corrected and had a Bear cone fitted.

* In 2010 my 2008 Collings DS1

* In 2011 my 2007 Ds2h and my '64 D12-20

And so it goes.

Them that didn't surprise me (in a good way) have since left the building.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
When I recently bought a Taylor GS Mini, I thought I was just buying an inexpensive travel guitar, but it's quite a bit more than that. To say it "punches above its weight" would be an understatement.
Did you get the spruce top or the hog top version?
Old 06-20-2019, 01:08 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vognell View Post
Did you get the spruce top or the hog top version?
Mahogany
Old 06-20-2019, 01:13 PM

My used Waterloo WL-14 bought online from GC was a very pleasant surprise. I had been looking for a small Gibson for awhile without success; they were either boxy, had poor playability, or were exorbitantly priced, sometimes all the above. Looking at the GC listings, I decided to try my luck on their lone Waterloo since I already had two other great models. The WL-14 arrived and I was astounded; better than average condition, early two-digit serial number, great action and tone, and a very decent price.

My search for the elusive Gibson is over and I now have three great guitars that I never even knew about a couple of years ago. Guitar Center has a new friend now, probably my second pleasant surprise.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:28 PM

I took a chance on a basket-case 1932 Gibson L-4 roundhole archtop that was unplayable when I bought it, and looked as if it had not been played in years, but it was priced accordingly.

I had the neck reset and the center seam in the top repaired, a new bridge, and it is now a can't-put-it-down sweetheart.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 06-20-2019, 03:07 PM

My greatest surprise? A hand-made that I had been anxiously awaiting. Upon arrival, I opened it up, tuned it, and took a strum. Omigod, what a heavenly sound; it just boomed out and enveloped me.

It hasn't since.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

For me it's this one;

When I first saw it at GC I thought it was a 000-18. I was trying a 000rsg that I liked and I just wanted to hear how it compared to the better model. It weas the best thing I ever touched. Turned out to be a Custom Shop OM-18, 1 of 12 in the second order of 12 by Mandolin Bros, on Staten Island, 6 years ago. I'm so spoiled by this guitar, it's like nothing else that I will ever find in my comfort (price) range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion