The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Default The guitarist and not the guitar

Hello all,
I feel like I had an A-HA moment recently when I realized that what I'm looking for is not in a guitar, but in me. To be able to play beautifully in the way I envision and not try to find the most perfect guitar that is in the market. This relieves me of the energy drain of searching for the right instrument and puts my focus on my skills that would work on ANY instrument.

Do any of you have any thoughts about this topic?
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove

Last edited by highvibrational; 02-11-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvibrational View Post
Hello all,
I feel like I had an A-HA moment recently when I realized that what I'm looking for is not in a guitar, but in me. To be able to play beautifully in the way I envision and not try to find the most perfect guitar that is in the market. This relieves the burden of having to search for the right instrument and focus on my skills that would work on ANY instrument.

It’s a good idea to take lessons. When I hear some good piedmont blues in the hands of a skilled guitarist it’s instant bliss, my ultimate goal. Guitars are easy enough to acquire, but some of the best things in life come through work.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Hello all,

I feel like I had an A-HA moment recently when I realized that what I'm looking for is not in a guitar, but in me. To be able to play beautifully in the way I envision and not try to find the most perfect guitar that is in the market. This relieves the burden of having to search for the right instrument and focus on my skills that would work on ANY instrument.

Having a guitar that pleases you sound and playability wise is important and makes for more pleasurable experiences. There are lots of guitars that fit the description.

You discovered the ultimate truth. It's on you. So, if you need to, find a guitar that works for you. Don't look back, getting caught up in all the hardware concerns. Decide what it is you need to do to get to that place of playing beautiful music.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Inspiration comes from within for me but I still want that great guitar to work with.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:37 AM

ANYONE can buy a guitar. But not everyone who buys one (even a high priced model) can play. I have friends who have the money to buy whatever axe they lay their eyes on (and do), but can't play a song from start to finish.

You've figured out what's important to you, now go play!
Old 02-10-2019, 11:46 AM

Your aha moment is very developed. Congratulations.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
...what I'm looking for is not in a guitar, but in me.... This relieves the burden of having to search for the right instrument and focus on my skills that would work on ANY instrument.
Yes, true. A skilled musician can perform well on a $49 Hello Kitty guitar. But it would sound much better on a higher quality instrument, of course.

My GAS days are largely behind me, but researching and hunting for "the right instrument" used to be part of the fun, surely not a "burden."

Nevertheless, focusing on one's skills and technique is never a bad idea!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-10-2019, 12:21 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Music itself is communication, with its own languages, each of which have syntax and vocabulary.

The instrument is a very interesting thing, isn't it? In a lot of ways it is like an interface. I don't mean that in the digital sense, but in the sense of a device that transfers something from one medium to another. It might be thought of as a transducer, something that converts what's inside, thoughts and creative impulses, to what's outside, sounds and music.

So, you want the instrument, the interface, the transducer, to do two things well:
One, not get in the way of bringing out whatever is inside. You don't want resistance getting in the way of the process.
Two, render whatever you are trying to get out from the inside as truthfully and euphonically as possible.

But none of that matters if you don't have anything to say, anything to bring out. "The point of it all" is to have music happening inside you in the first place, isn't it?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-10-2019, 12:27 PM

IME it's more of synergy between the player and the instrument, a certain complementary interaction of technique, touch, and tone not necessarily related to cost...

I sound my best on P-90 and mini-bucker (Gretsch, Taylor solidbody, Firebird/Johnny Smith, etc.) electrics - most full-size humbuckers tend to make my playing sound muddy and sloppy, and I no longer find Fender-type single-coils versatile enough to be my one-&-only at a gig...

When it comes to wood-body acoustics give me a hog-top or an archtop every time...

If the nut is over 1-11/16" it better be a shallow flat-C profile or no sale...

Took me over four decades to come to the realization...

You're lucky...
Old 02-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
"The point of it all" is to have music happening inside you in the first place, isn't it?
Yes, for sure my friend.

Like most of us of "a certain age" most of my performing days are behind me. First, I can't stay up that late anymore, and second, I don't have to do it to make ends meet. I still love to play and learn new things, but playing for others has kind of gone to the wayside.

In it's place, for the last 15 years or so, I've found a lot of joy in exploring/auditioning different woods, builders, body sizes etc and have ended up with some pretty stellar instruments that fit my needs very well.

I can say without hesitation that I enjoy the music I make much more because the sound I'm creating is much more pleasing to my ear, and the guitars I have now fit me ergonomically better than most in the past (nut width/saddle spacing, etc)

In the end, it all depends on what your goals are for your music. It's become more of a personal thing for me these days, and it's still incredibly therapeutic.

Ok, enough babbling now...

Old 02-10-2019, 12:32 PM

that should be your #1 priority.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-10-2019, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hello all,

There are two ways to approach this. A well-built instrument can help you improve your playing, so having a good guitar can be an advantage to a musician who's learning and growing. Full disclosure: I've been playing most of my life, and I'm definitely still learning!

But a truly talented musician can play almost anything, and it will sound good. They've acquired the skills to play through a variety of instruments and can adapt quickly enough to get the most out of the instrument that's placed in front of him/her. Jack White created some amazing sounds out of his "plastic" Valco Airline guitars (although he's definitely moved on to some higher quality instruments).
Old 02-11-2019, 01:42 AM

I have some nice, expensive guitars and some nice inexpensive guitars. It always sounds like me in the end. I try to impart this to new guitar students - to not get hung up on the shiny new thing. Practicing and enjoying it, will make you better more than just a new guitar.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

Gear is fun - there’s nothing wrong with improving your gear or trying new gear and enjoying the process. As long as you’re not breaking the bank doing it.

But the real beauty in music is ALWAYS in the music and the gear is such a secondary consideration it doesn’t even rate.

When I was starting out, my first electric guitar (this is late ‘78 or early ‘79) was an early ‘60s Fender Mustang. These became really popular and even sorta valuable again in the ‘90s when Kurt Cobain played them and made them a big deal. But when I bought mine, it was a dirt cheap little short scale guitar that I think I got for $75-80. I only had it for a few months before I decide that this electric guitar thing was gonna take and I upgraded to a much nicer guitar. I sold the Mustang to a friend who was a consierge at one of Tucson’s nicer luxury guitars. ZZ Top used to come through town and stay there a lot, and this guy became pretty good friends with them, particularly Billy Gibbons. Billy Gibbins played that Mustang and really kind of dug it. His half hour of playing that little guitar I GUARANTEE was the best it ever sounded, with his particular brand of Texas blues pouring out of that thing. Did he sound better playing his favorite Les Paul through his on-stage rig? No doubt. But I’m absolutely certain he sounded better playing that Mustang than I ever have playing the various much nicer guitars I’ve had over the years. Because he’s a great player on his worst day and I’m barely a half decent one on my best day.

It’s ALWAYS way :more about the player than the instrument. The better you get the more difference the instrument makes, but it’s always overwhelmingly less important than the playing done on it...
Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 AM

Default This may be similar...

Was wondering if a large part of G.A.S. may be impatience.

Some days I feel my guitar has limitations and I should change something.

Other days it sounds so good I'm amazed I ever thought of anything different.

~~~~~~~~~

I'd summarize it this way: It's best to get a good quality guitar, well set up, in good condition - you just enjoy it more than if there's something lacking in construction, builder's talent, and so on, --- but once you're there, the primary emphasis is the emotion, talent, and perseverance you bring to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic