The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ah OK so then with fusion only way to make sure your sessions/projects end up on a separate drive is to get and external drive.
apple indicated that the ssd aspect holds the system files while the other aspect of the drive holds your data. i'm paraphrasing. i would still get an external drive to keep the internal as slim as possible.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-30-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
Anyone care to offer any suggestions (staying within the Apple realm, please)?

Thanks!
Will
Honestly... I still use my 27" 2.7ghz i5 mid 2011. I replaced the internal drive with a 1tb SSD, and it has all the power I need for recording.

I run a Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface with very low latency, sounds great. I can easily run more tracks than I could ever need. If you use a ton of software synths or software samplers maybe you might need more horsepower.

I'm using the internal drive for everything... recording, samples, etc. The internal SSD is 500mbps, just screaming fast. Far faster than an external thunderbolt drive.

I think the machine power has finally gotten to the point where it's no longer an issue, unless you are doing 3d or 4k video and rendering out long form. For that I'd get a Mac Pro.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 03-30-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalad View Post
Honestly... I still use my 27" 2.7ghz i5 mid 2011. I replaced the internal drive with a 1tb SSD, and it has all the power I need for recording.

I run a Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface with very low latency, sounds great. I can easily run more tracks than I could ever need. If you use a ton of software synths or software samplers maybe you might need more horsepower.

I'm using the internal drive for everything... recording, samples, etc. The internal SSD is 500mbps, just screaming fast. Far faster than an external thunderbolt drive.

I think the machine power has finally gotten to the point where it's no longer an issue, unless you are doing 3d or 4k video and rendering out long form. For that I'd get a Mac Pro.
I'm wondering if that was an expensive upgrade?
Old 03-30-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
I'm wondering if that was an expensive upgrade?
It cost me about $425 total... not cheap but so well worth it.

I had a friend who works at Sandisk who got me their top of the line 1TB SSD for cheaper than I could find it elsewhere, employee discount. Then I bought the "kit" from OWC.

The full kit WITH SSD is available here:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/KITIM11HE1TB/

I was pleasantly surprised the upgrade was fairly simple to do DIY... it really really helps to watch their video. I think there were only 5 or so cables to unseat internally and maybe about 15 screws. You have to be very careful to not screw up the screen, but I didn't find it to be a problem. The key thing is to be patient. I had trouble understanding how one connection came apart, so I just walked away for a couple of minutes rather than yanking harder. Figured it out.

I remember when a 1TB SSD was like $2k. Of course, I also remember buying my first 1GB drive... for $1100. Those were the days...

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 PM

Default For The IMac Users

Thanks for all the good information
Old 04-02-2016, 07:39 PM

Why not get a MacBook Pro with 16gb and a 512solid state drive. I got one from the apple refurb site and it is awesome. It will last you a lot longer than an iMac. Add a large monitor and your all set.

Tom

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 04-03-2016, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammuz7000 View Post
Why not get a MacBook Pro with 16gb and a 512solid state drive. I got one from the apple refurb site and it is awesome. It will last you a lot longer than an iMac. Add a large monitor and your all set.

Tom
Curious as to why you think a Macbook will "last a lot longer than an iMac "? When in reality, as far as average years of use, the reverse is generally the case. Back when I used an iMac for my studio I probably went through 2 or 3 macbook's in the same time span. Juss sayin'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-03-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:12 PM

I'm going to assume the OP has bit the bullet and purchased? But, JUST in case not yet. I've been doing Apple desktop support in a university setting for almost 30 years now.

The only way I'd go now is with a 512GB SSD and 16GB ram in regard to the variables. I avoid the fusion drive as...when it does give you an issue...it almost always requires a complete wipe and restore to correct. I'm not a fan. The solely mechanical drive is just not worth considering at all.

The SSD, however will even make a 5-6 year old machine boot almost as quick as a brand new spec'd one.

With almost no mechanical parts except a fan, you'll get a long life from both. AVOID at all costs the thick-edged 27" iMacs made a few years back. They generate so much heat with any mechanical drive that the drive's oil cakes and dies right at the 2-3 year mark. Then you have to remove the LCD screen to replace it. (I've done that...you need to take extreme care and know what you're doing if you ever attempt it.)

The thin-edged iMacs are the way to go for desktop and the front glass is no longer magnetic where it's at least a bit easier for replacing the drive. It's glued.

Personally, even if you reduce to a 256GB SSD...go that route and not the fusion drive. You can always host other files/apps on an external for more space.

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 04-26-2016, 03:05 PM

I run an external raid 0 and my internal SSD is still way faster.

Martin 000-15SM
Martin OM28V
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Eastman T386
1890's C. Bruno & Sons Parlor
Old 04-27-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verstft View Post
I run an external raid 0 and my internal SSD is still way faster.
+1 YES...a great way to get speed and still some massive storage.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post
I'm going to assume the OP has bit the bullet and purchased? But, JUST in case not yet. I've been doing Apple desktop support in a university setting for almost 30 years now.

The only way I'd go now is with a 512GB SSD and 16GB ram in regard to the variables. I avoid the fusion drive as...when it does give you an issue...it almost always requires a complete wipe and restore to correct. I'm not a fan. The solely mechanical drive is just not worth considering at all.

The SSD, however will even make a 5-6 year old machine boot almost as quick as a brand new spec'd one.
I will second this as far as 512 gb SSD config. I happen to have a Mid 2010 Mac Pro Westmere 6 core 333 ghz ....with 24 gb RAM ...that came with two factory installed hard disk drives a 1 TB HHD boot drive and a 2 TB HHD storage drive

Just this Feb. I installed (as my primary boot drive) a PCIe based 512 GD Samsung SM 951 SSD and now use the 1 TB as a secondary boot drive that has and older OSX version for a reason specific to Avid HD hardware issues .

The read/write and boot and launch times with this specific PCIe SSD , are reported to rival or possibly exceed that of many of the 2013 and newer trashcan Mac pros. For certain for me with the read/ write speeds now in the 1200 to 1400 range as opposed to the low hundreds with the HHD's, I believe (hope) I am set for another 5 to 10 years.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-27-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:24 PM

Default For The IMac Users

I've gone a different route, slightly but my situation is not normal.

I just picked up a Mac mini 2.6ghz server 2012 edition. With 16gb ram and a 512Gb SSD drive. I'll just use external HD for mass storage. Or I can drop in another drive in the empty slot later.

With the money I saved I bought a 29" ultrawide 21:9 curved monitor, that fits perfectly.

I'm setting it up for an "entertainment center" on our boat. I'll mount the Monitor in the coming days so it can turn out over the Navigation desk and I am set for mixing.

My circumstances are unique but I am going to run cables to the aft where I will have my interface etc. then I am going to pick up a iPad Pro to use to remote screen control the mini when my wife is not watching a movie in the salon. If she is I will track and record direct to the iPad Pro in the aft and later work on the mini.
Ideally it would be nice if I could just set up the Mac mini to record and spit sound out my interface in the back using remote screen while it is playing a movie up front putting out the movie audio to the salon speakers. But I don't know if that's possible. Then I could forego the iPad Pro and use my iPhone 6+ as a remote.

Now we have the monitor (just picked up yesterday and mini arrives today), she's already sold on getting some studio monitors for good movie sound. Looking at the JBL 5"

I'll get a little sub for movies and when she's not watching a show I'll have a descent set up for mixing.

The best part is she is benefitting from the set up so she is very happy as she loves our movie time.
I'm pretty stoked to have this all set up on our little sailboat.
As they say necessity is the mother of invention. It's not perfect but I think it's a good dual purpose set up.

Now I should finish my coffee finish setting up our bulkhead fireplace and go pick the mini up from the post and set everything up. Okay one more coffee[emoji16]

Excuse the mess I'm just setting up the monitor and working on some projects.
The upper shelf above the monitor was a bit low so I'm remounting that which will end up just above the monitor once it gets mounted Then all the cables etc will be cleaned up and look ship shape. One day Ill probably build a wood roller curved door to hide the screen when not in use.
Yeah I'm a bit excited.

Recording Mikes; 3U 47fet Warbler MKIID (LDC), 3U Cm-1 teal 251 style matched pair (LDC), Golden Age MKIII (active ribbon), Interface Focusrite Scarlette 18i8.

Live use.
Sennheiser 935e Dynamic and some nock off Sm58's.
TC Helicon Acoustic play FX pedal as Guitar and VOX DI.
Behringer 1020FXUSB mixer
Single Yamaha DBR-10 speaker
Portable battery/mains operated 6" PA 30WRMS busking speaker that can double as powered monitor or fill speaker.

Guitars Pono L-30 12 fret Parlor #2 size equipped with Lyric
Cort mini earth 100 with Fishman pickup
50's vintage unknown name 12 fret parlor
Ubass mini bass with active pickup

Last edited by Mischief; 05-04-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

You probably already considered this, but it seems to me most of the 2015 fusion drives are only 5400rpm... You really want 7200 for audio production. I might be wrong but it is worth looking into.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 05-11-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
You probably already considered this, but it seems to me most of the 2015 fusion drives are only 5400rpm... You really want 7200 for audio production. I might be wrong but it is worth looking into.
The SSD will win the speed battle hand's down. 7200 is still nice disk to use, but it's all relative to the apps used and how many plugins or tracks recording. lol

Yep, I hate the fusion drives...I do support and they're easily corrupted.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD