The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Nice recording. So this was a spaced pair , if I might ask what mic's in what configuration? and is there a pre amp?

I would say that we are indeed after different sounds or perhaps different emphasis for the sound . My recording efforts are more in the singer/songwriter arena with the guitar as the main musical instrument but still must be part of a mix and must support the vocal as in these recordings ( have to hit the triangle play button upper left) http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/2556383
Thanks Kev and your recordings sound good also. The recording I linked to used Gefell m295s, one pointed around the 14th fret and the other closer to the bridge and both about 15" out, and yes there was a preamp.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So you do not use XY ? And I am curious which Schoeps and which Brauners ?
I happen to use a Brauner Phantom V, for vocals
I have used X/Y. I have a stereo AEA R88 ribbon mic that is fixed for XY of course, that sounds good. But XY rarely gets me excited. For a recent CD I recorded (Anton Emery's), I used a pair of KM184's in XY and the schoeps as spaced pairs. We ended up ignoring the XY mics completely. The sound wasn't bad, we just liked the Schoeps/spaced pair sound better.

I use Schoeps CMC6s with various capsules. Mk41's if I'm doing spaced pairs, ORTF, X/Y, etc, Mk2 (omni) or Mk41 with an Mk8 for MS. The Brauners are VM1s.

if you're doing a mix, that's a completely different story, there you have to be able to place your instruments on the soundstage. I've lost track of what the original poster was asking about, but both Rick and I do almost entirely solo instrumental guitar, so the goal is to create a full and realistic representation of the guitar, because that's all there is to work with! The guitar is our orchestra, so we treat it the way you would record a live ensemble to a certain extent.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 AM

Thanks again for your input guys!

Hey, are you the Doug Young who reviewed the Taylor GT-6 and GT-8 for acoustic guitar magazine (I think?)? If yes sweet! I really liked your playing on E Ku'u Morning Dew!

Can I ask you an off-topic question? How do you feel about the GT-6 compared to other baritones? I'm gonna buy a baritone, but the GT-6 is the only one I've ever played.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfvxc View Post

Hey, are you the Doug Young who reviewed the Taylor GT-6 and GT-8 for acoustic guitar magazine (I think?)? If yes sweet! I really liked your playing on E Ku'u Morning Dew!
Yep, that's me. Thanks, glad you liked it!

By the way, KevWind, this reminds me, the video he's talking about, I just recorded with the Zoom H4n, so that was X/Y, tho I also blended in the pickup. XYZ? :-)

Quote:
Can I ask you an off-topic question? How do you feel about the GT-6 compared to other baritones? I'm gonna buy a baritone, but the GT-6 is the only one I've ever played.
I haven't seen a GT6, only the GT-8. Based on the GT-8, I suspect I'd like the 6 string version, too. You might just post separately for advice on bari's. There are a bunch of people here with a lot of experience with them, (playing them and building them).
Old 04-13-2010, 03:06 AM
beben4512

Quote:

In my opinion, GT - 6 is much better than A Baritone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD