The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Oh yeah, I had one of those early Baby Taylors with the tiny hardshell case. It was cute. Played cute. Sounded cute. Sat in the case for years. Finally sold it. It really was cute.
Before my Big Baby I had a Baby Taylor too.
It was cute.
Fun to play and travel with but short on tone, bass, or projection though order of magnitudes better than that Martin Backpacker I owned, and couldn't offload fast enough.

The Baby's short scale meant floppy wobbly strings, much like how Taylor's GS Mini and many other very short scale travel guitars feel to me.
At least the neck, frets, intonation, and general build quality and playability of the Baby was first rate.

Years later when Taylor released the larger (and 25.5" full-scale) Big Baby I gave my Baby to an aspiring kid and ran, not walked, to GC for a Big Baby.

I have 8 fancier guitars, but I love my Big Baby for what it can do for its size and price.
It's a totally different animal than its little brother, the Taylor Baby.

I just wish Taylor made a HS case for the BB.

Last edited by Tico; 08-05-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
I use a RainSong parlor when I travel and love it.

+1. Not only is it relatively compact (smaller guitars exist), but it sounds great, looks cool and is pretty rugged. I take it to the beach, camping, and pretty much anywhere I wouldn’t take a nice wooden guitar. I’ve even played it in the rain. The only things on it that ever show any wear are the strings. Oh, and it plays so, so easy.

https://soundcloud.com/user-652759467
Old 08-05-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I have just spent three weeks with my little Jane and I can say it has done me very well. While I miss my full-size I don't feel like I've been giving up much at all.

As for the neck it's a bit on the D shape or modified V 1 3/4. So chunkier than my Breedloves for sure

But less chunky than the Rainsong parlor I had.

It is quite loud for its size and strums pretty well. It is a cedar top though. I was playing on my dad's back deck given my two week quarantine and the neighbours all commented on enjoying the evening concerts so it apparently carries well enough and the sound quality did well enough.

I really like the sound quality out of it and not just for a travel guitar.

The only downside I see is that it is fairly neck heavy with the hardware at the top for the headstock join.
Super helpful; thanks!
Old 08-05-2020, 09:41 PM

This is the most helpful video I've seen. But I think the Furch Little Jane is my favorite for tone and portability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJ8YCce51k
Old 08-06-2020, 12:25 AM

Wouldn't it be a Voyage Air for travel since it's basically a normal, full sized guitar?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-06-2020, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I've got to chime in with another vote for the Journey OF660.

Breaks down into an easily transportation package, don't have to worry about temp. and humidity, plays well and sounds pretty good.

Expense is the only real downside to the OF0660.

D
Old 08-06-2020, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

I tried the Journey on my route to where I'm at. It is a nice instrument but it didnt jive with me tone wise and playing comfort and the neck join seemed more awkward to use than what I have on the Furch. The ruggedness definitely is nice though.

Agree with the thought that in general it is in the same zone for portability and performance as the Little Jane and will come down to personal preference and does have the benefit of the carbon for durability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
I've got to chime in with another vote for the Journey OF660.

Breaks down into an easily transportation package, don't have to worry about temp. and humidity, plays well and sounds pretty good.

Expense is the only real downside to the OF0660.

D
Old 08-06-2020, 01:01 PM

Assuming I have replied to this one (haven't been on here for awhile) my go to guitar in general is my GS Mini Koa. I did own a Martin LX1 but traded it in for something I wanted more at the time. So in short I am a Taylor fan but if I was to get one that absolutely don't care about getting banged up I would go with the Martin LX1 for it is more affordable. I find the Baby Taylor is too bright. And to conclude my Koa is my fav!
Old 08-06-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Bought a Journey OF660. It's regulation carry on size. It sounds great with excellent low end. It's satisfying to play and listen to. It sounds good plugged in and I stick a Fishman Stage preamp in the case since it only has a passive sound board transducer in it. I just love this travel guitar. It's been to Jamaica several times, on a 17 day Mediterranian cruise where I played it in a talent show to a large crowd and I forget where else I've taken it. I've never been disappointed with it. Now a wood model might make me as happy for less money, but I don't think they existed when I bought this one and I haven't seen or heard one in person.
This is a great guitar. I agree with Journey Sales Manager James Brawner that the OF660 is more like a real guitar that happens to travel well rather than a "travel guitar".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion