The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2022, 12:04 PM

What ..?
I've never spent 20k on a car!
You really should ask this question on the custom shop section!

Ah..how the other half lives!
Old 08-11-2022, 12:30 PM

have you paid more than $20,000 for a guitar?

Nope. Not even close.

Most ever paid was about 12% of that, and that was for my Gibson many years ago. Between that and my favorite and last electric (also a Gibson), I actually have a couple of case queens which, while played, never leave the house.

I view guitars as tools to make music, but I take good care of them. I find the law of diminishing returns kicks in around the least expensive solid wood level. I have bought many guitars used, which keeps the initial outlay down. I do have a few nice laminates too. The laminates shine in times of wicked high humidity.

I also fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks. In addition to keeping instruments in their cases when not being played, this helps keep overall wear and tear down too.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 08-11-2022, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 View Post
prices always go up over time as the money supply is always increasing, yes there will be cycles where things devalue temporary yet in the long run history supports increasing prices.

My first guitar was an ovation viper when I was in high school bought from the guitar store for $150 they are now selling used on reverb up to a $1000.

about 10 years ago I bought fender master built Strat for $4200, I felt like a fool given it was just a Strat, now that same builders guitars are selling for $9000 used on reverb.

In college I bought a USA Strat plus foolishly traded in after several years paid new $400 now they are selling used for $1600.

My friend who owns a guitar store basically preaches if you buy a nice guitar well made from a major brand keep it for 12 years in a normal inflation environment and take care of it, you are likely be able to sell it used for what you paid for it new. Of course there are variables that can not be accounted for like guitar playing looses its popularity or the reverse could happen. `

I wouldn't recommend a guitar as an investment yet of all the things we buy for ourselves it does better than most in the world of resale.

This owner did well in 1962 this guitar sold for $320 now look at it for what it is being sold for. https://reverb.com/item/51272009-fen...-red-one-owner
I went to a bluegrass jam this past Friday where I got to talking with an older guy in his 80s. I knew of him so I asked him the story and he told me. In 1958 he walked into a music store and bought a brand new 1957 Les Paul Goldtop for $250. He played it for decades until the 2000s when a guy approached him and said it probably wasn't wise to bring this guitar to bars and such. Guy had no idea how valuable it was. Sold it for $70,000 in 2010 and said he wished he'd known how valuable they'd become he'd have bought two! But he was happy. He bought a brand new gold top LP with the money, did some remodels in his house, and still has some $$ left over.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:44 PM

Just as a reference point for myself, $20K is more than I would ask for my renewed, modified track-ready Porsche. And it has a lot more well-engineered parts than a guitar.

But if an expensive guitar had the very tone I was looking for, and it matched the music I was devoting a big chuck of my life exploring, I would certainly consider buying it.

But due to my lack of experience with what expensive guitars have to offer and not spending that much of my life devoted to the guitar, I can't imagine why $20K would be required to buy the necessary guitar.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
There are people who spend $20k on guitars who don't participate on forums or keep their $20k guitar purchases to themselves.

If I had won the Mega Millions lottery last week I would buy a few just to A/B them with standard production guitars.

I just checked Ervin Somogyi's website. His guitars start at $40k and it also states that it'll take 2 years before you get your guitar.
This is it - I’ve played a $250,000 D45, which I’d never, ever consider owning, but it sold, as have many like it. I have more than a few expensive guitars, in the 5-10k range, and I don’t really worry about them - they feel better, look better, are built better, and to me, sound and play better, than most any $1500 guitar I’ve come across. But ultimately - investing in a really great instrument, for your own personal pleasure and enjoyment, is something that people who understand the value of and desire for, don’t feel any need to try and explain or justify to anyone. Except maybe, their wife . . .
Old 08-11-2022, 01:36 PM

I purchased a Martin Custom OM-45 new in 2018 for $10,000 + The guitar is above my ability and class but then so is my wife. I would indulge myself with both again.

Brook Taw
Gibson J-45 Custon Granadillo
Fender Strat +
Martin Custom OM-45
Martin Custom D-18
Musser OM (Brazilian)
Sahlstrom SJ cutaway (Walnut)
Sahlstrom SJ (Katalox)
Yamaha LJ56

Old 08-11-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
What ..?
I've never spent 20k on a car!
You really should ask this question on the custom shop section!

Ah..how the other half lives!
My thoughts exactly! I have never had, nor spent, $20k on ANYTHING...and, to answer the question, it's highly unlikely I would.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FretBoy View Post
I purchased a Martin Custom OM-45 new in 2018 for $10,000 + The guitar is above my ability and class but then so is my wife. I would indulge myself with both again.
Now, that’s the right mindset - congrats!
Old 08-11-2022, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Dear burglars and other bad guys/gals of all persuasions: I have never bought a $20,000 guitar. And if I did? I’d never broadcast it on social media. Please believe me so I can sleep tight tonight.
bwahahahahha...that was the best thing ive read all week..hee hee tks Rev

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 08-11-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 View Post
...What's the most you have ever paid for a guitar?
$30,000 USD ($26,000 for a US-built guitar shipped back to the US from Japan + a bitter dispute with US Customs + lawyer fees to resolve the issue.)

Tommy
Old 08-11-2022, 03:17 PM

I've played $20K+ guitars...

I've played $100K+ guitars...

I own neither, nor will I do so, when less-rarefied fare will serve my tonal and aesthetic senses at least as well...
Old 08-11-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
There are people who spend $20k on guitars who don't participate on forums or keep their $20k guitar purchases to themselves.

If I had won the Mega Millions lottery last week I would buy a few just to A/B them with standard production guitars.

I just checked Ervin Somogyi's website. His guitars start at $40k and it also states that it'll take 2 years before you get your guitar.
I met a guy last year who purchases guitars like that. I wish he'd participate more often here. My "idealist" view of guitar forums is that we should share information. I'm all about trying new things on guitars and reporting if they work or not.

Nonetheless, I'd consider a Somogyi and/or Olson once my kids are done with college.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
This is the key, it is a long term investment, not a short term one which would involve more of the current market. I think your Wilborn is worth more than you paid for it already and very likely will be for awhile. When you are here for B.I.G., remind me and I will show you a guitar I am talking about. Tom
Will do. I should write stuff down to be more organized this year!

I think and hope you're probably right. I think there could be inevitable ups and downs in the market. Another potential problem might be the type of gear that today's youth wants. My area is full of indie and metal kids. Whether I like it or not, I have vastly different tastes and they'd look at my gear the same way I look at theirs.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Luckily, I have not yet played a guitar of the higher denomination that has captivated enough to purchase. I honestly believe that my guitars that are under 3k, have matched many 10K guitars.

The Truth of the matter, is 20k would take a big chunk of my safety net. In my old age...safety nets are important.

However, I am all about tone. Tone, dynamic range is what makes me - me as an acoustic guitarist. Tone, dynamics is what leads some to falsely believe that I have some skills. Well, I guess you could say that my guitar skills are based on retrieving all the tone I can get.

With that being said: I sincerely hope, that if I ever play a guitar that has that magical tone that will take me to the next level ( a 20k guitar )....that leads me to instantly write new tunes because it's tone has inspired me so much. That makes me want to go to the next skill level because the sound is so inspiring......===That I will have the good sense to purchase that guitar...even if it takes away some of my safety net. Because nothing is more rewarding that playing a guitar that inspires me. A great guitar is a direct window to my being.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

No, I haven't paid anywhere near $20,000 on a guitar. My highest-priced purchases to date in the corresponding year listed with each guitar:

$4100 on a new 2013 Taylor K24ce
$4200 on a new 2017 Huss & Dalton TD-R
$4200 on a new 2020 Adamas 2087GT-8.

I'm currently considering spending $6590 on a new 2022 Boucher BG-152-M Mastergrade Bluegrass Goose but would have to play it first as it's in an AGF sponsor store that's not too far away.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion