The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-26-2022, 01:16 AM

If I wanted to use metal picks all the time I'd have an unwound 3rd string and use the brass Alaskas or maybe Butterfly picks if I could still get them.
I used to have some issues with the sides of plastic Alaskas rubbing against each other but I learned to hold my fingers slightly further apart, it didn't take long to adjust.
Old 07-26-2022, 01:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Thumb and fingerpicks seem to make a bit of noise when they hit the strings. Getting the right angle for the finger picks so that they hit squarely on the wound strings and not sideways to avoid that raspy sound is a challenge. Turn the guitar a bit, turn the fingerpick a bit. It's a work in progress.

The clarity from using picks as opposed to just flesh all these years is amazing though.

Barry you inspired me to order a set of pro piks, which arrived yesterday and, by God I think I can do this.

After several failed attempts over the years something clucked last night (and rasped) and it began to come together for me.

I got a set of fred kelly freedom picks and they went ok too.

I also really enjoyed the finger picks on my 12 string I must say.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)

Last edited by Coler; 07-26-2022 at 02:10 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write