The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-20-2022, 11:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Setting to deal with low end overwhelming high end

Someone posted a great response to a thread recently re: pre-amp settings to eliminate or at least minimize low frequency distortion (?). It seemed to focus on mids. For the life of me, I cannot find that responce and I would REALLY love to read it again. So if anyone can post a link that would be great! Or if the person who gave the great answer could run it down again, that would be great. Thanks!!!

(FWIW, I do understand using an equalizer....so it's not that.)

Gene
Old 07-21-2022, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Boy I would interested to read such a post also

Other then setting the gain relatively low then boosting in the DAW which could theoretically I suppose allow Fletcher Munson to highlight the mids (although I am somewhat skeptic it would do much in practical terms

Beyond that ,I simply do not understand how a pre amp can do something that seems beyond the scope of its basic function and design ? And is in fact a function of EQ

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-21-2022, 07:29 AM

Low frequency distortion is a direct product of [a] how well the preamp handles the low frequency, which is in direct correlation to the preamp’s frequency response & power handling & [b] the input source & how well it is handling those same things.

There is also the possibility that low end is fine, but you’re playback system (which includes your room) is causing distortion.

Mids should have nothing to do with distortion in the low end (coming from nearly 30 years experience of being a professional audio engineer).

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 07-21-2022, 07:31 AM

If you are having problems with the low end taking over a mix, it’s a problem of balance. And that’s just getting a better mix. Which come from experience.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 07-21-2022, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Someone posted a great response to a thread recently re: pre-amp settings to eliminate or at least minimize low frequency distortion (?). It seemed to focus on mids. For the life of me, I cannot find that responce and I would REALLY love to read it again. So if anyone can post a link that would be great! Or if the person who gave the great answer could run it down again, that would be great. Thanks!!!

(FWIW, I do understand using an equalizer....so it's not that.)

Gene
Don't know what thread that was but some preamps may have a high pass filter usually centered at 80 hz. That can get rid of some of the non musical
low end mud that may exist in the recording environment. Also some microphones have a high pass filter switch you can turn on or off. I don't use a
preamp or mike high pass but do all equalization in the DAW.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-21-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Someone posted a great response to a thread recently re: pre-amp settings to eliminate or at least minimize low frequency distortion (?).

Gene
Are you sure the problem is distortion or do you mean that there's just too much low end in your recordings?

There's no setting in any preamp that I'm aware of that lets you control "low end distortion" specifically so I'm guessing you're terminology is not accurate here.

Many preamps and mics have high pass filters but those reduce low frequencies from being recorded and are not designed to reduce distortion.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:35 PM
Guitar Gourmet

There are a lot of potential problems that could be causing your distortion problem. We need to do what's called "walking the signal chain."

We start at the DAW: Are the levels low enough that it isn't distorting at the DAW? If so, take a step back up the chain.

Next the interface/preamp: Are the overload LEDs lighting? If so, back the record level down. Does that eliminate the distortion? Yes? We'll deal with the imbalance problem at the mic. No, go back up the signal chain.

Microphone: There are ways to deal with the overload: Is your mic a cardioid mic? If so, if the mic is too close to the subject, the bottom end will rise up and overwhelm the rest of the spectrum. Also, if you point the mic at the sound hole of the guitar, the low-end will overwhelm the rest of the spectrum. Try moving the mic up the neck to the place where the neck joins the body and move it out to about ten inches. That will reduce the low-end and give you a more balanced sound. In the process, did it get rid of the distortion? Yes? Re-calibrate your levels and go back to recording. No? You may need to insert the high pass filter on the mic. Did that handle it? Yes? Re-calibrate your levels and go back to recording. No? Look for the mic's attenuator and switch it in. That will drop the level of the mic before it hits the mic's internal preamp. Did that handle it? Yes? Re-calibrate your levels and go back to recording. No? You could very well be looking at equipment malfunction and may need a technician's assistance.

All the best,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD