The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-11-2022, 08:40 PM

Default If you've been considering a Bugera V5...

...it looks like they're going to be (or have already been) discontinued - quite frankly I didn't think they could hold the price line too much longer, given the current economy - so you might want to cash in now while you can:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp
Old 07-12-2022, 06:47 AM

Great little amps. My local GC stopped carrying Bugera a year or two ago. Not sure why.

Roger
Old 07-12-2022, 06:54 AM

Ok Steve - just ordered one. I don't really need it - but I have almost gotten one before and I am intrigued.
Old 07-12-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
Ok Steve - just ordered one. I don't really need it - but I have almost gotten one before and I am intrigued.
Enjoy - lotsa tube and speaker options out there to customize the sound to your preference (FYI the V5 really comes into its own with single-coils and mini-buckers - Gretsch Filter'Tron, Guild LB-1, Gibson Firebird/Johnny Smith, Epiphone Riviera, et al. - but can sound a little dark with full-size humbuckers) and enough grunt to power a 4x12" cab for "big" tone at reasonable volume...
Old 07-12-2022, 08:44 AM

I previously posted they were already backordered and I canceled the order because of that. I stand corrected. It has shipped to me so I will post back after checking it out.

Last edited by TiffanyGuitar; 07-12-2022 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 02:36 PM

The Stage Right amps sold by Monoprice are still available and cheap as an alternative. Solid amps...
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-12-2022, 03:03 PM

Default Thumbs up for the V5

I love my boxy little Bug! It can give an amazing variety of tones from just four dials, and with the two reduced power settings, it can do that at any volume. I'm playing though it right now! Take DeRosa's advice, like I did, and you won't be sorry.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 07-12-2022, 05:07 PM

Did you guys that own one of these make any mods? Change tubes or the speaker?
Old 07-12-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Both - Preferred Series 7025 and 7189 tubes (available from thetubestore.com as a package for around $100) and an Eminence 820H speaker (think baby Cannabis Rex)...

PSA: If you order the tube package spend the extra $5 for matched preamp-tube triodes, and be sure to tell them it's for the Infinium version of the V5: the auto-biasing system is dialed in to the $1.29 POS factory tubes, and while it does work as advertised it only has a limited range - you don't want anything too radical since you can't override the Infinium circuitry and bias the power tube yourself, and I've heard stories of people screwing things up with a very high-headroom tube...
Old 07-13-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I bought mine locally from a guy that had already changed the tubes, and had changed the speaker to a Weber Vintage Series Ferromax. It sounds really good, although I still wish it was a little brighter (but that's probably just me being too picky on a $200 amp with an 8" speaker). I have forgotten the brand of aftermarket tubes that are in it. But I may try swapping out the 12ax7 preamp tube with a different one to see if it changes the tone.

It's nice to set the attenuator to .1 watt and be able to get some breakup at a somewhat sane volume. For that alone, it's almost a perfect little bedroom amp.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:06 PM

I bought my V5 about a year ago, just because. It is a more vintage style amp with a nice sounding reverb, a little boxy sounding. I replaced both tubes with Genalex Gold Lion (before tube prices got stupid expensive) and the speaker with a Celestion Eight15. It has kept the character of the stock amp but is more open, maybe a little brighter, and a little less hair on the gain (smoother). I like pairing it with a Fender Player Tele especially. Real nice, handy little amp although not quite as inexpensive with the upgrades.

I’ve had a G20 head for several years and it too is a nice amp - more of a modernish Marshall tone.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:25 PM

I sent mine to an amp repair guy once and gave him carte blanche to make it as good as he could. He sent it back saying it was surprisingly solid. He changed the tubes and put in a vintage Jenson speaker he had. that's all. It's a great little amp.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:20 PM

Mine arrived today. Initial impressions are that it seems solidly built. The noise with the gain turned up doesn’t seem any worse than my princeton. The tone is dark and I can’t say I love the tone much with the tone knob cranked to 10. With the tone knob cranked it sounds oddly dark and a bit nasally. I have seen reviewers playing it like that. Tone is passable with the tone knob to 7, but I have better. The amp is neither heavy nor light. I think the weight is pretty much perfect for easily moving it around. I like the feel of the knobs and the switch seems good. I plugged into the head phone jack for kicks and giggles and it was OK, but not great. Produced a little fuzzy sound around some
Of the notes. I turned it down to the 1 watt mode briefly. It seemed Ok but I think I would likely keep it on the 5 watt mode.

Funny I saw another poster mention putting an old greenback in it because I am thinking of putting a new Jensen greenback in it and changing the tubes. I don’t really “need” this amp, and so far the stock tones are not what it would take for me to keep it. If I decide to keep it, I will make some changes and report back. Hearing that amp tech saying it is a solid build is comforting. To me, the build quality seems quite good and it is likely worth the upgrades to give it a bit more oomph. I have also read reviews online of folks that have owned these for a around 15 years and the amp is still going strong. That is also comforting.
Old 07-15-2022, 10:28 AM

I've had mine for a couple of years now & really like it. I'm mostly an acoustic player so it's nice having a little, inexpensive electric amp to go with my Epiphone ES-339 when I need to go electric. I usually end up mic-ing the amp & go to the board even though it can get pretty loud. It can get pretty crunchy/distorted at low volume using the attenuator, though, if I want to go there.

As others have said, while OK out of the box, with a few easy & cheap mods this little amp really gets going. I added an Eminence 820H Patriot speaker, Gold Lion EL34 power tube & Mullard 12AX7 preamp tube. Really smoothed out the sound & gave it a fuller, less dark sound. The difference has been night & day. When I bought mine the V5 + speaker + tubes cost < $300. That's real bang-for-buck value in a terrific sounding amp!

Frank
Old 07-16-2022, 11:34 AM

I don't have the V5, but I have its bigger brother, the V22. I changed out the tubes and speaker (JJs and an Eminence Cannabis Rex). I played my Gretsch Electromatic (G5420TG) at an online open mic last night, and I got the comment "What a great-sounding guitar!" I attribute much of that sound to the amp. I suspect if you buy a V5 (or a V22) you won't be disappointed.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars