The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2022, 08:57 AM

Default 12-string strings recommendation?

I replaced the stock strings on my entry level Guild F-2512E with D'Addario extra lights. Mistake, they sound very tinny and even worse when it's plugged in. Going back to regular lights but would like to spend a bit more for an upgrade, what do you use?
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 07-03-2022, 09:32 AM

I think I have Elixir nano PB on my maple/spruce Guild jumbo 12 (JF30-12). I've been trying the Martin Retro 12-string set on my Seagull dread sized cedar topped 12.

I disklike restringing a 12 twice as much as restringing a 6 string guitar -- and that's compounded by not liking the sound of fresh strings on a 12-string even more than on a 6. The extra overtones always seem to clash to my ear. One thing I like about Elixirs then is that they quickly settle down and then I don't have to change them again for a good while.* If there's a "coated strings muffle the overtones" effect, that's a feature not a bug for me with 12-strings.

I disliked the Retros on the Seagull right after installing. Time is moving me more toward considering them. This "unpleasant at first, but give them a 2 to 4 hours playing time factor with Retros is something others have noticed, and again after they settle down the shelf life seems high for Monel/Retro strings.

* I own 4 twelve strings, the Guild, the Seagull, and old cheap all laminated one from the 70s, and my DeArmond solid body electric one. Like some other 6 and 12 string players I play my 12 strings maybe 10% of the time (and then that 10% is split 4 ways), but I like that 10% and don't consider than an issue. The set of Elixirs on my Guild is likely a year or so old, but I know what I'll be getting when I take it out of the case.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-03-2022, 09:37 AM

12-string strings recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by negriljerry View Post
I replaced the stock strings on my entry level Guild F-2512E with D'Addario extra lights. Mistake, they sound very tinny and even worse when it's plugged in. Going back to regular lights but would like to spend a bit more for an upgrade, what do you use?

I have two Taylor 12 string guitars, both with large body sizes. I use Elixir PB 12 string light gauge on both. (.010 - .047).

While they certainly work great for me, I do not know how they will play on a Guild 12 string. But I use Elixirs on all my guitars, including my non-Taylor J-200s, and like the results. (The J-200s are all heavily built, while the Taylors have a much lighter build and weight, especially the 458e-R Grand Orchestra; also easily the potentially loudest guitar I have.)

In addition, it doesn't hurt that these coated strings last a long time and don't require constant string changing. Changing strings on a 12 can be a bit of a chore.

I also don't use a pick, but fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks. This also works well with the sound and tends to lessen the wear on strings.

Out of an old habit going back to the '60s, I tune my 12s down a semi-tone to D#, and also keep one in DADGAD intevals.

Just another player's opinions, but I've been doing this a while and have tried an awful lot of strings over the years. And many of those actually were truly awful.

Edit ==> FrankHudson's post was not up when I started this, but he brings up another issue about new strings that I will totally agree with. I do not like the fresh string sound much either, and Elixirs almost immediately lose that. And better yet they don't aurally deteriorate much further over their life span until they're 'just dead' (as Arnold said in 'Commando'). And even then they don't require an immediate re-string. Especially on a 12. You can easily guess how I know that.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 07-03-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I use D'Addario EXP38 PB light gauge sets on my Guild F-512. They are a little bright when brand new, but after a few weeks they are about perfect. Since these strings are coated I leave them on for about a year.

- Glenn
Old 07-03-2022, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

John Pearse 1300L (80/20 Bronze Lights) or 1400L (Phosphor Bronze Lights). Newer Guilds can also be tuned up to standard.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 07-03-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I use D'Addario EXP38 PB light gauge sets on my Guild F-512. They are a little bright when brand new, but after a few weeks they are about perfect. Since these strings are coated I leave them on for about a year.

- Glenn
I prefer the EJ37’s, which are 12-54 and are uncoated. They last much longer than I had anticipated (several months), and they sound fantastic. If you are going to tune down at all, these strings are your friends. And even if you don’t tune down, they are still a great choice.

I started out with Elixir Nanowebs 10,s and hated them.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:36 PM

Another vote for Martin Retro Monels, especially - as IME I've found with the Guild F-2512E (and my own Rainsong 12-string) - your guitar tends toward the bright side...
Old 07-03-2022, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

- Glenn
These were my 12-string 'go to' strings too.
I also really liked D'Addario Nickel Bronze on my Guild F-412 - but last time I recommended them someone else here on the AGF tried them on their maple 12-string and hated them!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-03-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
These were my 12-string 'go to' strings too.
I also really liked D'Addario Nickel Bronze on my Guild F-412 - but last time I recommended them someone else here on the AGF tried them on their maple 12-string and hated them!
Me, possibly!!

Killed my H&D maple 12 to the point I did't want to play it. They settled down after a few weeks (or maybe I just got used to them), but back to good old PBs for me - either D'Addario or Elixir.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Me, possibly!!

Killed my H&D maple 12 to the point I did't want to play it. They settled down after a few weeks (or maybe I just got used to them), but back to good old PBs for me - either D'Addario or Elixir.
Ha! So it was you that scared me into recommending strings!

The maple F-412 is a heavily built 17" lower bout super jumbo with an unbraced arch back - probably quite different to your H&D.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 07-03-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I think I have Elixir nano PB on my maple/spruce Guild jumbo 12 (JF30-12). I've been trying the Martin Retro 12-string set on my Seagull dread sized cedar topped 12.

I disklike restringing a 12 twice as much as restringing a 6 string guitar -- and that's compounded by not liking the sound of fresh strings on a 12-string even more than on a 6. The extra overtones always seem to clash to my ear. One thing I like about Elixirs then is that they quickly settle down and then I don't have to change them again for a good while.* If there's a "coated strings muffle the overtones" effect, that's a feature not a bug for me with 12-strings.

I disliked the Retros on the Seagull right after installing. Time is moving me more toward considering them. This "unpleasant at first, but give them a 2 to 4 hours playing time factor with Retros is something others have noticed, and again after they settle down the shelf life seems high for Monel/Retro strings.

* I own 4 twelve strings, the Guild, the Seagull, and old cheap all laminated one from the 70s, and my DeArmond solid body electric one. Like some other 6 and 12 string players I play my 12 strings maybe 10% of the time (and then that 10% is split 4 ways), but I like that 10% and don't consider than an issue. The set of Elixirs on my Guild is likely a year or so old, but I know what I'll be getting when I take it out of the case.
My sentiments exactly. I quit using Elixirs on my other guitars, but the Nano light gauge set sounds great on my Yamaha LL16-12 and they LAST. I'd rather not re-string on a 12-string any more than needed. Tuners also very important...the ones that came on this guitar were junk and I replaced them with decent quality tuners...hardly have to touch them now.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 07-03-2022, 04:51 PM

I'm intrigued by low tension 12 string sets. Planning to try out GHS and DR Rare:

https://www.ghsstrings.com/products/...ns/11674-light
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/drraphbr12st.html
Old 07-03-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpolineni View Post
I'm intrigued by low tension 12 string sets. Planning to try out GHS and DR Rare:

https://www.ghsstrings.com/products/...ns/11674-light
https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/drraphbr12st.html
Newtone strings in the UK also make low tension 12-string sets.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
Old 07-03-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Newtone strings in the UK also make low tension 12-string sets.
Yup! Ordering takes some time and I've had success with DR Rares. Certainly another option though.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:11 PM

Another vote for Martin Retro's 10-47, sound great on the Guild D-1212 right away.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion