The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-06-2022, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
This is an interesting question. I put a deposit down on a guitar in 2017, with a 3 year waiting list. We're now at 5&1/2 years and still waiting. The luthier said it was because he moved his shop, but instagram, TNAG, and DG continue to show new guitars churning out of his shop in that time period...and his prices have gone up substantially and I'm sure he would much rather make a new order at a higher commission than an old one. I'm not sure I would even want to pay his new commission. I even paid extra for the B&S because he used up all his stash even though he told me not too worry when he initially showed me the choices...so, have largely given up, since the model I wanted he no longer offers...says he is satisfied with the other models he offers...so, I chalk it up towards supporting the luthier community... I was thinking of getting him to donate the B&S to another luthier!!
I'd think you could back out of that and get a refund on your deposit... after all he promised 3yrs not 5.5....
Old 05-06-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
This is an interesting question. I put a deposit down on a guitar in 2017, with a 3 year waiting list. We're now at 5&1/2 years and still waiting. The luthier said it was because he moved his shop, but instagram, TNAG, and DG continue to show new guitars churning out of his shop in that time period...and his prices have gone up substantially and I'm sure he would much rather make a new order at a higher commission than an old one. I'm not sure I would even want to pay his new commission. I even paid extra for the B&S because he used up all his stash even though he told me not too worry when he initially showed me the choices...so, have largely given up, since the model I wanted he no longer offers...says he is satisfied with the other models he offers...so, I chalk it up towards supporting the luthier community... I was thinking of getting him to donate the B&S to another luthier!!
Nope, this is no bueno for sure and you are getting the run around. If you are like me, once you got the guitar you would not bond with it because of the negative experience.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Wow! This being the whole case, I think I'd be using "B&S" differently.
Yes, I think without the ampersand if I read you correctly.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Yes, I think without the ampersand if I read you correctly.

Between the lines as they say.
Old 05-08-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Nope, this is no bueno for sure and you are getting the run around. If you are like me, once you got the guitar you would not bond with it because of the negative experience.
This “experience influenced bond or lack thereof” is something that is very seldom discussed. Perhaps it only affects a few of us but from my experiences over the years it is certainly a very real issue.

I guess it really depends on the individual.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
This “experience influenced bond or lack thereof” is something that is very seldom discussed. Perhaps it only affects a few of us but from my experiences over the years it is certainly a very real issue.

I guess it really depends on the individual.
100%. I have a custom guitar that never comes out of the case because of this.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 05-13-2022, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

I think if the build list is long some clients will offer extra money to get to the front, or move up in line. It is understandable for the builder when trying to make a living, and would come under the category of "special projects". In any event, I doubt anybody is so bad at estimating wait times that many many months are added without something else going on

I once had a build delayed so long I did not really car about getting the guitar anymore.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
I think if the build list is long some clients will offer extra money to get to the front, or move up in line. It is understandable for the builder when trying to make a living, and would come under the category of "special projects". In any event, I doubt anybody is so bad at estimating wait times that many many months are added without something else going on

I once had a build delayed so long I did not really car about getting the guitar anymore.
REALLY?
I've probably been living under a rock, but is this actually "a thing?"
(Both in terms of it being a practice AND general sentiment that it is an acceptable way to operate from either side of the transaction)
Old 05-13-2022, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
REALLY?
(Both in terms of it being a practice AND general sentiment that it is an acceptable way to operate from either side of the transaction)

It seems to be with my luthier, who posts beautiful guitars on Instagram at the same time that he tells me he is delayed by more than two years, or 5&1/2 years from the deposit…we’ll see…

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 05-13-2022, 11:50 AM

So which luthiers have the longest waitlists? Are some of these luthiers located in countries outside of the USA?

Tommy
Old 05-13-2022, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
REALLY?
I meant to say I understand it probably happens, and why. And yes, not acceptable from a client's point of view.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop