The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Does Anyone Here Play a Tom Anderson Crowdster? (The regular one, not Plus, etc.)

I found an old thread on these guitars but thought I'd start one instead of reviving one that's 13 years old. Hope that is ok.

I'm wondering if anyone here plays a Tom Anderson Crowdster. I'm interested in the regular Crowdster, not the Plus or the Plus 2.

This one:

https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/crowdster-1

I went and saw a friend play last week here in Knoxville and he plays one. It's an interesting guitar! It won't win any awards for a natural, acoustic guitar tone but it worked really well for what he was doing.

I particularly liked the low end. I imagine due to the design that one is able to dial in the "right" amount of low end without too much (if any) worry about feedback.

I looks like a fun guitar to play!

So anyway, just checking to see if folks here are using one of these and hoping to get some thoughts and opinions.

(Actually, I'm hoping you'll just tell me I'd hate it so I can quit thinking about it! )

Matt
Old 09-28-2017, 12:17 PM

Looks very interesting Matthew.. kinda like the Fender Telecoustic - there's a few models, a Stratocoustic also.

I saw Steve Winwood play one - Can't Find My Way, maybe with EC? His might have been a nylon string, not sure..

Something like this just MIGHT be a ticket..

When I play acoustic-ISH, with ANY other instruments, especially bass & drums, I don't even CONSIDER using my Taylor, even with super custom electronics - just won't keep up. I have Fishman piezo in my Tele bridge, and I run that thru my SoloAmp, and it sounds acoustic-ENOUGH, still with enough push to cut thru. Playing like that TONITE in fact. I'll try to get some pics, maybe vid..

Nice topic, usual!
Old 09-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
Looks very interesting Matthew.. kinda like the Fender Telecoustic - there's a few models, a Stratocoustic also.

I saw Steve Winwood play one - Can't Find My Way, maybe with EC? His might have been a nylon string, not sure..

Something like this just MIGHT be a ticket..

When I play acoustic-ISH, with ANY other instruments, especially bass & drums, I don't even CONSIDER using my Taylor, even with super custom electronics - just won't keep up. I have Fishman piezo in my Tele bridge, and I run that thru my SoloAmp, and it sounds acoustic-ENOUGH, still with enough push to cut thru. Playing like that TONITE in fact. I'll try to get some pics, maybe vid..

Nice topic, usual!
Hi Mike!
Do get some video! That would be excellent!

I really would like to try out a Crowdster. I'm quite intrigued.

I had a Godin chambered bodied guitar a long time ago and I liked that. The Godin, to me, was a more refined Chet Atkins SST. I have always been attracted to the Chet but when I compared the two (and this was years and years ago) I thought the Godin sounded more acoustic by quite a bit so I went with that.

I like your word "acoustic-ENOUGH." It's an interesting thing to ponder and to get my mind off of moving and unpacking: What would it be like to abandon the quest for ultra-natural acoustic guitar tone and to use something like a Crowdster to create a tone?

Matt
Old 09-28-2017, 01:37 PM

I play occasionally with a guy who uses a Crowdster. It's pretty nice, but I prefer the sound of my Rick Turner Renaissance RS6.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

I had a + plus for several years. Great guitar. Great acoustic tone with a good eq. Shouldn't have sold it.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 09-28-2017, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I had a + plus for several years. Great guitar. Great acoustic tone with a good eq. Shouldn't have sold it.
That's not helping me not want to buy one!

Thanks for the info! I am hoping to find a way to try one soon.

Matt
Old 09-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I play occasionally with a guy who uses a Crowdster. It's pretty nice, but I prefer the sound of my Rick Turner Renaissance RS6.
David,
Do you mind sharing what you prefer about the RS6. I've never had the chance to play either of these.

Thanks!
Matt
Old 09-28-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I found an old thread on these guitars but thought I'd start one instead of reviving one that's 13 years old. Hope that is ok.

I'm wondering if anyone here plays a Tom Anderson Crowdster. I'm interested in the regular Crowdster, not the Plus or the Plus 2.

This one:

https://www.andersonguitarworks.com/crowdster-1

I went and saw a friend play last week here in Knoxville and he plays one. It's an interesting guitar! It won't win any awards for a natural, acoustic guitar tone but it worked really well for what he was doing.

I particularly liked the low end. I imagine due to the design that one is able to dial in the "right" amount of low end without too much (if any) worry about feedback.

I looks like a fun guitar to play!

So anyway, just checking to see if folks here are using one of these and hoping to get some thoughts and opinions.

(Actually, I'm hoping you'll just tell me I'd hate it so I can quit thinking about it! )

Matt
Hi Matt,

I own a Crowdster Plus which was subseuquently upgraded to the Plus 2.

The Plus and Plus 2 are exactly the same as the Crowdster, just with the addition of the electric pickups.

The plugged in acoustic sound really cuts through in a band mix and the on-board EQ allows a wide range of tonal possibilities.

Custom-order Crowdster Plus (on order)
CA Legacy Aura (sadly departed)
Lakewood D-32 (sadly departed)
Breedlove AD25/SR Plus (sadly departed)
Radial Engineering JDV MK3
Zaolla Cable
Old 09-28-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
David,

Do you mind sharing what you prefer about the RS6. I've never had the chance to play either of these.

Thanks!

Matt

It sounds more natural to me.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono View Post
Hi Matt,

I own a Crowdster Plus which was subseuquently upgraded to the Plus 2.

The Plus and Plus 2 are exactly the same as the Crowdster, just with the addition of the electric pickups.

The plugged in acoustic sound really cuts through in a band mix and the on-board EQ allows a wide range of tonal possibilities.
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Does the addition of the electric pickups cut down on the open chambers inside the body at all? I'm guessing that the plain Crowdster would give me enough tonal possibilities without venturing into the completely foreign world of electric. But.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
It sounds more natural to me.
Thanks David! I have the natural part covered. (I sure should after all of this time and money!) Part of the appeal of the Crowdster is to "give up" on the quest for natural and have fun with the potential for different tonal possibilities, while still in the acoustic-ish realm.

Now if I could just find one to play!

Matt
Old 10-02-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Does the addition of the electric pickups cut down on the open chambers inside the body at all? I'm guessing that the plain Crowdster would give me enough tonal possibilities without venturing into the completely foreign world of electric. But.....

It doesn't actually.
The electric pickups are installed in the solid areas of the guitar, so it does not cut down on the open chamber inside the body.

The Crowdster is meant to be a feedback-free acoustic guitar in a loud band.

Custom-order Crowdster Plus (on order)
CA Legacy Aura (sadly departed)
Lakewood D-32 (sadly departed)
Breedlove AD25/SR Plus (sadly departed)
Radial Engineering JDV MK3
Zaolla Cable

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification