The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Question Fishman Aura VT Enhance vs LR Baggs Anthem?

I am considering a new model that will be coming out from Martin.

2017 OM18e

Their site says you can choose between the Fishman Aura VT Enhance or the LR Baggs Anthem...

I will be playing through a Fishman Loudbox Artist. So it seems logical to me that the Fishman pu would be best. But I have know idea.

Anyone here that can share your thoughts?

Much appreciated.
Happy 4th of July weekend!

madhat.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhat View Post
I am considering a new model that will be coming out from Martin.

2017 OM18e

Their site says you can choose between the Fishman Aura VT Enhance or the LR Baggs Anthem...

I will be playing through a Fishman Loudbox Artist. So it seems logical to me that the Fishman pu would be best. But I have know idea.

Anyone here that can share your thoughts?

Much appreciated.
Happy 4th of July weekend!

madhat.
Happy 4th to you too! It's totally a personal preference. The fact that you have a Fishman amp shouldn't influence your pickup choice at all ... between these two or any others. I haven't played the new OM-18E yet, but I have played the Anthem & Aura VT Enhance. I like the Fishman better, but these are both good systems.

For now, your best bet is to "YouTube search" the Anthem and Aura VT Enhance. When the Aura VT Enhance first came out, I recorded some footage at Martin:

I really enjoy the ability to blend in some bridge plate sensor (Enhance control). Sorry I don't have any hands-on video of the Anthem.

On July 13 we'll be at Martin getting an up-close look at (and listen to) the new models and I'll report back with an honest report from a player's point of view.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 07-01-2017, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Thank you Maury.

I've only done the lightest of dabbling with amplification.
Sounds like a win win with these two.

What great batch of new guitars Martin has come out with!

madhat.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I've got the Martin GPC-18E Aura VT Enhance. The system is okay sounding but when played with a flatpick it can sound more brittle when dialing-in more of the Enhance SBT. The system does pickup top and body sounds including any percussion a player may want to perform. When dialing-in the Enhance SBT, very little is needed to gain its benefit, and the less you can dial-in to get the tone you want, the better! The Aura Image, per Jason at Martin, is generated by using a Neumann KM84 Small Condenser Microphone. If I remember right, Jason inferred that the OM models may have also used the Neumann K84 for Aura Image generation. The Martin GPC-18E, itself, is really great sounding and easy-playing instrument.

CAVEAT! Since its introduction in 2010, the Martin endpin-/jack-/battery-box assembly has been a source of intermittent contact noise. Push, pull, or exert a sideways tug on your guitar cord and you're very likely to have a loud crackle and pop as the guitar-cord's plug loses and gains contact with the assembly's innards! I told Jason of Martin Guitars about this problem and he said he'd bring this to Martin's attention. In the seven years since the assembly's introduction, hasn't anyone complained to Martin about this problem except me? I know that a couple of other AGF members mentioned this annoyance in their AGF comments, so it's not just me who has noticed it.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-01-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the post ST.

I play with thumb and two fingers mostly- so hopefully I can avoid the brittle sound. Sounds like I may still have the occasional snapcracklepop

Yeah I bet that GPC18e is sweet. I am a big fan of the 18 series.

Are you using a Loudbox with this pu?

madhat.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the post ST.

I play with thumb and two fingers mostly- so hopefully I can avoid the brittle sound. Sounds like I may still have the occasional snapcracklepop

Yeah I bet that GPC18e is sweet. I am a big fan of the 18 series.

Are you using a Loudbox with this pu?

madhat.
I'm using a Line6 L2t. I'm going to work up some ToneDexter Images for this guitar and post them soon.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-01-2017, 09:07 PM

There are basic similarities and some important differences.

1. They both use an under saddle transducer as the basic source.
2. They both use a second source to make the guitar sound more alive and realistic.
3. The Fishman uses two additional strategies. The first is digital impulse/response imaging and a piezo transducer connected to the top.
4. The anthem system uses a bridge plate mic to make the guitar sound alive and to add air.

The reason I prefer the Fishman system to the Anthem has less to do with tone (they both sound very good) and more to do with the UST itself. The LR Baggs pickup uses a braided wire design. This pickup sounds good, but I think it interferes with unamplified acoustic tone.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Good info. Thanks Dave!

I really need to study some of this jargon

madhat.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Good info. Thanks Dave!

I really need to study some of this jargon

madhat.

You're welcome. Maury is and expert and knows his Martins. I think if Martin is installing a system in their guitars, then you can assume it's going to sound good. The rest are nuances and personal prefertecnes.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thank you Maury.

I've only done the lightest of dabbling with amplification.
Sounds like a win win with these two.

What great batch of new guitars Martin has come out with!

madhat.
My pleasure.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 07-03-2017, 10:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
You're welcome. Maury is and expert and knows his Martins. I think if Martin is installing a system in their guitars, then you can assume it's going to sound good. The rest are nuances and personal prefertecnes.
Thanks, Dave. We take pride in selling only those products we truly know and use. Its the reason we don't carry 10 brands of guitars ... or any drums, keys, etc. Our customers deserve expert advice from a player's point of view - and we're dedicated to providing just that.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I recently bought a Martin OMC-18E and it has been stunning on my gigs. I finally did some intimate comparisons between the Fishman Aura VT Enhance PU in the Martin and compared to my Collings OM1A (Also Hog OM) that has a Baggs Anthem.

I used a Bose L1 Compact and also Fishman Loudbox Performer Amp for the comparison.

My findings were:

Fishman Aura VT Enhance is louder and punchier than the Baggs with all amp settings being Equal. The Aura VT enhance with the tone knob at its warmest is somewhat trebly. I wish I could warm it up just a 'little' more. When I tried that on the Loudbox Performer, I had the treble dialed way down and the Aura VT Enhance still sounds a touch bright. Don't mistake that comment however. It is very musical and I can warm things up with my right hand attack and touch as well.

The Enhance thumbwheel in the bottom area of the soundhole allows you to dial in the Soundboard transducer. It adds more percussiveness and blends in the vibrations of the top. I find a little goes a long way. the more I dial in, the more trebly and hollow it sounds. Curious. Best sound for me is maybe adding 10% of the enhance SBT.

Then I plugged in the OM1A and compared the Anthem. Tonally, the Anthem was much more natural sounding through the same amp. I did try to change amp settings (although there are no EQ controls on the Bose L1 Compact (1/4" instrument side). I tried EQ changes on the Fishman Loudbox only)

I went back and forth playing with a pick (Dunlop Ultex 1.0) and finger style through both guitars (OMC-18E w/Fishman Aura VT Enhance and Collings OM1A w/Anthem. I tried both through the Loudbox Performer amp and the Bose.

The guitars both sounded a bit better to me through the Bose. And the Anthem was more natural no matter what. But the Fishman Aura VT Enhance was every good too.

I preferred the Anthem. But I have several gigs under my belt with the Martin / Fishman Aura VT Enhance and it works GREAT on the gig.

Then I tried laying down an acoustic rhythm loop and solo'd over it. Interestingly, when I did that, the Fishman moved way out front in terms of my preference. It 'cuts' and works in the "mix" extremely well. Single note solo's without changing guitar vol settings held their own using the Aura VT Enhance.

When I solo'd over a loop with the Collings / Anthem, the solo notes didn't
'pop' out front and I felt like I needed a clean boost to give them more sonic space against the loop.

I'll try to capture a comparison video in the future, but with the guitars being different themselves, some variations are due to the guitar.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 10-05-2017, 02:53 PM

Don't have either but I do have the Anthem SL and the Fishman Matrix VT.
I think they both sound good. The SL uses a microphone but I found I dial in only a wee bit. The VT is a good sounding UST and my OMC 15e sounds great with it.
I play through Fishman Loudbox Mini and sometimes a mixer and powered speakers or I use my Platinum Pro DI/EQ and just the powered speakers.
It all depends on the venue.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Update: I did a gig last night and brought the Martin OMC18E w/Fishman Aura VT Enhance, and I brought the Collings OM1A w/Anthem.

Curiously, I LOVED the Martin at the gig. Its so balanced. Just ideal. I was using my Bose L1 Compact.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification