The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-30-2017, 08:40 AM
Musical minimalist

Default K&K pure mini users - best 35.00 you'll ever spend....

if you are running the pickup straight into a board right now.

I just got this a couple hours ago, and it takes a lot to make go "WOW" these days, but this difference is night and day.

I'm extremely picky about my plugged in sound, and have always used a good quality external condensor with any pickup system, but this made such a huge difference I'd have no problem gigging mic-less when using it.

If you have a board that has 3 band EQ on each channel, and onboard 7 or 9 band EQ (I use a Mackie Profx8), there is no need for spending the money on the Pure XLR with this little guy.

Got one from an Ebay seller for 35.00 shipped - built like a tank, phantom powered (no need for batteries) Pretty incredible....

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringe...74115050363.gc

Here's the seller I got mine from brand new and very quickly...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-Ul...72.m2749.l2649

Last edited by fitness1; 09-30-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

...yup...those Behringer DI's are one of the best kept secrets in affordable sound reinforcement....i've used them along side of spendy Radials Di's and they definitely pulled their weight...
Old 09-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...yup...those Behringer DI's are one of the best kept secrets in affordable sound reinforcement....i've used them along side of spendy Radials Di's and they definitely pulled their weight...
What's strange is that I wasn't even aware of them until about a week ago......I normally have my ear to the ground a little better than that regarding gear

Old 10-01-2017, 02:10 AM

How does it compare to a Baggs Para Acoustic DI?
Old 10-01-2017, 05:33 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms16 View Post
I've never used the Para DI with a K&K because the impedance doesn't match.

I have used the XLR pure a lot and as I said above, if your board has midrange and gain control (each channel) and and onboard (all channel) EQ, I think this Behringer DI is as good or better sound.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms16 View Post
Hi Ms16

The Behringer DI-100 is only a direct box, not a preamp. So it's not going to change the tone of a guitar like a ParaDI. It will just impedance match the output to the amp and/or PA system, and bring signal attenuation, pass through, ground lift, punch-in/out and simultaneous ¼" and XLR output.

They are aluminum housed and strong enough (tough enough) to elevate and angle heavy monitors (I've done it). They are phantom or battery powered, but they bring no advantage to the signal/sound that their passive models for $10 USD less bring to the party (we use both). They are truly road-worthy.

You can also plug up to 3000 Watts of amplifier output into any Behringer direct box and convert it to a balanced line feed to send to a PA system. This is sometimes handy on a stage where you can pull a speaker-out feed off an electric amplifier when the ability to mic it doesn't exist. It has replaced the 'RedBox' of old in that capacity (for any of you old enough to remember RedBox DIs)

They also make a GI-100 model which is for electrics, and does have a 4X12" cabinet simulator built in (moderately good). I still prefer to mic electric cabinets.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I've never used the Para DI with a K&K because the impedance doesn't match.

I have used the XLR pure a lot and as I said above, if your board has midrange and gain control (each channel) and and onboard (all channel) EQ, I think this Behringer DI is as good or better sound.
Hi f1

We use ParaDIs with K&K all the time, and the alleged impedance mis-match doesn't make a bit of difference in the live mix, for solo guitar or ensemble play in our systems.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-01-2017, 07:47 AM
Musical minimalist

All I know is that it's the best my K&K equipped instruments have sounded for very little money additionally. If you have proper EQ on your board, I see no reason at all to spend 100-140 more for a PARA DI or Pure XLR. I wasn't expecting a simple active DI to make such a difference.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
All I know is that it's the best my K&K equipped instruments have sounded for very little money additionally. If you have proper EQ on your board, I see no reason at all to spend 100-140 more for a PARA DI or Pure XLR. I wasn't expecting a simple active DI to make such a difference.
Hi f1

When people are looking for advice (after hearing my K&K dual source systems) I always recommend they get a passive DI and go without a preamp, or internal mic, until such a time as they begin to want to improve the amplified sound beyond where it is initially.

And carrying a simple DI box is going to help you interface seamlessly with PA systems anywhere/everywhere.

Some upgrade and others are perfectly happy with the non-preamplified K&K Pure Mini through their amp/PA.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 10-02-2017, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

I think the impedance match is important.

I have a FireEye, which works great, but here is another tip. The Boss TU-3w chromatic tuner. Most people need a tuner on stage anyways. Makes the K&k sound better than just straight in.

I have played with my k&k equipped guitars straight into this tuner, and out to both PA and Bose on separate occasions.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:20 AM

p.s. These work fantastically for recording Fender bass, even better in my opinion than esoteric studio solutions (like the DI sections of top shelf mic preamps) which cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. It's one of the most useful products Behringer ever made and has been around at least since the late nineties.

Last edited by troggg; 10-02-2017 at 01:20 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification