The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Default Quantum Blender vs. D-TAR Solstice

Hey all,

I'm getting a dual source system and I was wondering would it be wise to stay with all one brand or mix it up a little.

Quantum Trinity System w/ Blender
- OR -
Trinity Solo w/ D-TAR Solstice

I would be using the setup for live and home recording environments.

So basically I'm just wondering if I would run into any problems mixing the dual source K&K, or if anyone has this setup, pros/cons and/or general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurray View Post
Hey all,

I'm getting a dual source system and I was wondering would it be wise to stay with all one brand or mix it up a little.

Quantum Trinity System w/ Blender
- OR -
Trinity Solo w/ D-TAR Solstice

I would be using the setup for live and home recording environments.

So basically I'm just wondering if I would run into any problems mixing the dual source K&K, or if anyone has this setup, pros/cons and/or general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi km…
Hello and welcome to the forum! I don't believe we have met.

I owe no loyalty to any company. I buy what works best for me, not what a branded dealer tells me works best. I've been doing dual source rigs for more than 15 years now...and have never been limiting myself to one company products. The Quantum has serious competitors.

I use K&K dual source rigs (4 of em) and they all have the K&K Pure Western Mini and mic.

I use a DTAR Solstice for my main preamp, and my backup is a Raven PMB, then my Headway EDB-1 and my last resort is my K&K Trinity preamp.

Here's what I like about the Quantum.
  • It sounds nice...

Here's what I don't like.
  • The control sets (channel 1 & 2) are side by side in line...I cannot compare/contrast them easily
  • It's long and thin and hard to balance anywhere except on the floor or a chair.
  • All the labels for the buttons are on the edge of the housing so if you rack mount it they disappear.
  • No XLR in capability

Here's what I love about the DTAR…
  • Sounds as good or better than the Quantum (I've done them A/B)
  • More input/output options
  • Controls one above the other so I can compare Channel 1 settings with Channel 2
  • XLR as well as ¼'' inputs
  • Volume and Effects volume masters (separate)
  • Separate volume controls for XLR inputs versus ¼'' inputs
  • Rugged and roadworthy (for several years now)
  • Tuner out circuit
  • Phantom on both channels
  • Mute can be taken to a footswitch (tuner circuit stays hot)
  • $340 same as Quantum from K&K

Here's what I don't like…
  • It's a bit big…not heavy, just big. But then where would they put all those jacks if it wasn't this size?

Here's what I don't like about both…
No potential to operate them on batteries like my Raven or Headway EDB-1

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 AM

Thanks ljguitar!

You've pretty much answered everything for me I appreciate it very much!

I just have 1-2 more questions if you don't mind

If I go with the Solstice and the K&K Dual-Source, when I connected to the Solstice with the stereo 1/4" cable will I be able to EQ the Mic and the Western separately, and by doing so will all the channels be used up. For example, would I be able to add an external XLR mic to the mix and be able to EQ everything. I hope I'm making sense here hah!

Thanks again, I checked out some of your recording too, excellent playing and great quality, really nice tone!

Cheers!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurray View Post
Thanks ljguitar!

You've pretty much answered everything for me I appreciate it very much!

I just have 1-2 more questions if you don't mind

If I go with the Solstice and the K&K Dual-Source, when I connected to the Solstice with the stereo 1/4" cable will I be able to EQ the Mic and the Western separately, and by doing so will all the channels be used up. For example, would I be able to add an external XLR mic to the mix and be able to EQ everything. I hope I'm making sense here hah!

Thanks again, I checked out some of your recording too, excellent playing and great quality, really nice tone!

Cheers!
Hi km…
Thanks for the kind things you said.

Dual source K&Ks hook up via a TRS (stereo tip) ¼'' cable.

The stereo cable (TRS) activates both channels, routes the phantom power to the mic, and routes the channels separately for you to the preamp. All you need to do is adjust the tone/volume on the DTAR or Quantum.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-28-2017, 01:41 AM

Sorry for the bump.

I have bought a new K&K mic, the classic for my nylon stringed guitar. But K&K Have now changed the mic so it does not work with the Solstice anymore. (They changed it about 6 months ago)

Dieter:

"TRINITY MIC PROTECTION CIRCUIT

The Trinity mic capsule is rated for 1.5 - 10 operating voltage and has a built-in protection device that is activated at about 11.5 volt. Please use a K&K preamp like the Trinity Pro preamp or the Quantum Blender with this mic. Third party preamps may not work as they often provide 12 volt or more to the mic, in which case the mic would not function properly or not at all."

Now I have a Solstice and I am happy about it, it works well with my other guitars that has older mics from K&K. I would like to use the same system for all my guitars.

What should I do? Buy a Quantum blender? Or can I mod the Solstice? Dieter said that some customers blew their mics with the Solstice, is that really true?

// Cim
Old 09-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cim Frode View Post
…What should I do? Buy a Quantum blender? Or can I mod the Solstice? Dieter said that some customers blew their mics with the Solstice, is that really true?

// Cim
Hi Cim

Doug Young from here in the forum has used some other internal microphone choices from AKG. I'll bet he could advise you on them if you shoot him a note. His website is dougyoungguitar dot com. His email starts with doug…at-sign to the front of the site name.

He posted detailed instructions as to how to wire the AKG mics here in the group (or linked to them) and was buying the mics on ebay for as little as $60 if I recall.

I am dismayed that K&K has resorted to this extreme marketing scheme (in my opinion) to get people to buy their overpriced/under-featured preamps.

I have K&K dual source pickup rigs in 4 acoustics, and used to recommend them to everyone who asked about upgrading their pickups. I no longer make that recommendation.

I know a lot of players with a dual source K&K rig who use DTAR or Raven PMB I/II preamps, and have never heard of anyone blowing a mic. I've even run mine with EDB-I which was 18volts for about a year without incident.

Another option would be to buy a used K&K dual-source rig from someone who has removed one from a guitar and just use the mic from that.

And yet another - buy a used Raven PMB-I or PMB-II (their phantom is 9 volts).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 09-28-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi km…

I owe no loyalty to any company. I buy what works best for me, not what a branded dealer tells me works best. I've been doing dual source rigs for more than 15 years now...and have never been limiting myself to one company products. The Quantum has serious competitors.

I use K&K dual source rigs (4 of em) and they all have the K&K Pure Western Mini and mic.

I use a DTAR Solstice for my main preamp, and my backup is a Raven PMB, then my Headway EDB-1 and my last resort is my K&K Trinity preamp.

• It sounds nice...

• The control sets (channel 1 & 2) are side by side in line...I cannot compare/contrast them easily
  • It's long and thin and hard to balance anywhere except on the floor or a chair.
  • All the labels for the buttons are on the edge of the housing so if you rack mount it they disappear.
  • No XLR in capability

• Controls one above the other so I can compare Channel 1 settings with Channel 2
  • Tuner out circuit

• It's a bit big…not heavy, just big. But then where would they put all those jacks if it wasn't this size?

Hello sir! Very good input in this question.

Any thoughts about the Grace Designs Felix? (aside from being freakishly expensive)

Ta!
Old 09-28-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Hi Cim

Doug Young from here in the forum has used some other internal microphone choices from AKG. I'll bet he could advise you on them if you shoot him a note. His website is dougyoungguitar dot com. His email starts with doug…at-sign to the front of the site name.

He posted detailed instructions as to how to wire the AKG mics here in the group (or linked to them) and was buying the mics on ebay for as little as $60 if I recall.

I am dismayed that K&K has resorted to this extreme marketing scheme (in my opinion) to get people to buy their overpriced/under-featured preamps.

I have K&K dual source pickup rigs in 4 acoustics, and used to recommend them to everyone who asked about upgrading their pickups. I no longer make that recommendation.

I know a lot of players with a dual source K&K rig who use DTAR or Raven PMB I/II preamps, and have never heard of anyone blowing a mic. I've even run mine with EDB-I which was 18volts for about a year without incident.

Another option would be to buy a used K&K dual-source rig from someone who has removed one from a guitar and just use the mic from that.

Sorry, not to stir anything up but there must be more to this? Have you noticed K&K employees making claims like this a lot or are you just finding this out now? I assuming there's more to it if you no longer recommend them.

My take is this, they are neat pickups but I think there are so many other options now that do similar things but with less of that permanent install. Gluing pickups in just seems like something that can avoided now. Who knows, maybe K&K are starting to worry about other options out there and have resorted to the old, "you have to use our additional preamps if you want your guitar to sound its best".
Old 09-29-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Hi Cim

Thanks Larry,

I found a Raven PMB-II on eBay so I bought it now.

I agree with you, I really don't think that people have blown their mics, Dieter has been telling me to buy their preamps in every mail we have sent to each other the last year or so.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Larry,

I found a Raven PMB-II on eBay so I bought it now.

I agree with you, I really don't think that people have blown their mics, Dieter has been telling me to buy their preamps in every mail we have sent to each other the last year or so.
HI Cim

I've never seen a power supply, so both of mine just stay loaded with the pair of 9 volt batteries, and they last 50 hours or so. You will like the output options of the Raven, and the great tone (at least my gigging partner and I do).

The ability to hit 'mute' is great too.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 09-30-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
HI Cim

I've never seen a power supply, so both of mine just stay loaded with the pair of 9 volt batteries, and they last 50 hours or so. You will like the output options of the Raven, and the great tone (at least my gigging partner and I do).

The ability to hit 'mute' is great too.

Thanks Larry, much appreciated The one I ordered actually came with a power supply but it's for the US so I can't use it in Sweden anyway. Batteries are better for me.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Larry, much appreciated The one I ordered actually came with a power supply but it's for the US so I can't use it in Sweden anyway. Batteries are better for me.
A Raven Labs PMB power supply has value (it's an 18v supply). You can probably sell it for more than you might first think.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelZinfandel View Post
…Any thoughts about the Grace Designs Felix? (aside from being freakishly expensive)

Ta!
Hi Miguel

Yes, it's better (at least in terms of overall ability to control every element of the sound/tone) and it's beyond my price limit by at least double.

If I were a road musician who was playing in weird and hard to control venues, I'd probably own one, just to regulate the tone and overcome room anomalies in a hurry.

I've not found a situation so far that my DTAR Solstice, SoundHole plug, or Raven PMB preamps cannot control and still result in my having great amplified tone.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-07-2021, 12:14 AM

Default Is the DTAR SOLSTICE STILL around??

Quote:
Hi km…

• It sounds nice...

• No XLR in capability

• Tuner out circuit

HI "ljguitar",
I was looking to upgrade my K&K trinity system with another preamp that can power my Trinity Mic. What do you recommend. I see there are a few of the DTAR SOLSTICE around but this was an old post.
Thanks
Gerry
Old 06-07-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryc123 View Post
HI "ljguitar",
I was looking to upgrade my K&K trinity system with another preamp that can power my Trinity Mic. What do you recommend. I see there are a few of the DTAR SOLSTICE around but this was an old post.
Thanks
Gerry
You may want to have a look at the Sunnaudio ms-2. It has phantom power for the mic, independent adjustable input impedance for both channels, sweepable mid eq's and a boost, XLR and 1/4" outputs. It also allows the use of a single T/R/S cable, as it automatically carries the mic signal over to ch 2 and pickup to ch 1. I've been really happy with it so far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification