The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2016, 08:55 AM

Default Anyone familiar with Hex pickups.

Got a quick question about Hex pickups.

Am I right in saying that if I installed a set of piezo Hex pickups like this...

...I could conceivably wire them to an internal preamp, by summing the six cables to one input, and run them as a mono, low impedance signal?

Not that that's what I'm going to do, just need to understand them a bit for an idea that is brewing.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:44 PM

If you are talking about a Baggs Hex pickup, they are summed to a mono signal. I suppose you could split them into a stereo signal (bass/treble for instance). I'm not sure Baggs still makes the Hex.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 07-18-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Soul View Post

Am I right in saying that if I installed a set of piezo Hex pickups like this...

...I could conceivably wire them to an internal preamp, by summing the six cables to one input, and run them as a mono, low impedance signal?
I have a Baggs hexaphonic set-up in one of my guitars. They are summed to a single mono 1/4 jack output just as you describe, except my preamp is external. I am not certain as to the impedance of the output signal.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
I have a Baggs hexaphonic set-up in one of my guitars. They are summed to a single mono 1/4 jack output just as you describe, except my preamp is external. I am not certain as to the impedance of the output signal.
Cheers.

Passive they'll be high impedance, active they'll be low impedance.

Planning on running HEX on the ring terminal with a Mic/SBT combo on the tip terminal. Need to output the HEX at a low impedance to match the Mic/SBT output, from internal preamp, to avoid crosstalk in the stereo cable.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:24 AM

I have a Line6 Variax Acoustic 700 which uses these pickups. On that guitar, the audio from every string is processed separately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Soul View Post

Not that that's what I'm going to do, just need to understand them a bit for an idea that is brewing.
Yes, the Baggs pickups (which appear to be pictured there) are all summed to mono. Baggs quit making their hex pickup, but if you can find a set of Baggs Hex pickups, be advised that they have a very strong output. Your onboard preamp will need a relatively low gain (so get a preamp with adjustable gain) and a fairly high input impedance. (10 Mohms is sufficiently high {the same as the Baggs PADI}, and 5 Mohms would likely work decently well.)

I love the Baggs Hex in my classical, but it can be pretty quacky with a steel-stringer. (I've tried that too.) If you plan to go mono out anyway, you might want to look into the Rich Barbera Soloist pickup.

http://www.barberatransducers.com/guitar_pickups.html
Old 07-19-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Yes, the Baggs pickups (which appear to be pictured there) are all summed to mono. Baggs quit making their hex pickup, but if you can find a set of Baggs Hex pickups, be advised that they have a very strong output. Your onboard preamp will need a relatively low gain (so get a preamp with adjustable gain) and a fairly high input impedance. (10 Mohms is sufficiently high {the same as the Baggs PADI}, and 5 Mohms would likely work decently well.)

I love the Baggs Hex in my classical, but it can be pretty quacky with a steel-stringer. (I've tried that too.) If you plan to go mono out anyway, you might want to look into the Rich Barbera Soloist pickup.

http://www.barberatransducers.com/guitar_pickups.html
I'm actually going to go with the RMC Acoustic Gold pickups and preamp. Just used the Baggs pic cause it was a better pic.

I know Ian Stephenson uses them in his Forster Model C and highly recommends them.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:41 PM

Those look like RMC's and you should have someone familiar with their installation do the job. They're not a simple drop in. The saddles have to go at the intonation points because they cannot be adjusted. They are also only installed for a specific string gauging, so you're stuck with whatever preference you have at the time of installation.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
Those look like RMC's and you should have someone familiar with their installation do the job. They're not a simple drop in. The saddles have to go at the intonation points because they cannot be adjusted. They are also only installed for a specific string gauging, so you're stuck with whatever preference you have at the time of installation.
Will be getting them installed into a bone nut and fitted on a custom guitar.

String gauge isn't an issue, always use 13's with a heavy low D.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
FWIW, this is the appearance of the RMC mini-saddles as they appeared on the Godin Multiac which I once owned.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
FWIW, this is the appearance of the RMC mini-saddles as they appeared on the Godin Multiac which I once owned.
Yep, these are the actual pickups i'll be going with.

Another view:

How'd you like them on the Godin?
Old 07-21-2016, 11:54 AM

The RMC-equipped Godin Multiac is intentionally designed to be strong on fundamental tones and weak on overtones, in order to better facilitate synth triggering. I liked my RMC-equipped Multiac a lot for fingerstyle playing, but not so much for strumming. It was a very dry sounding guitar.

In retrospect, I think some digital modeling might have provided a more resonant sound for strumming.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Yep. But remember, that's on a classical and with the exception of the B string, everything else is in a straight line. Not the same as a steel string.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Yep. But remember, that's on a classical and with the exception of the B string, everything else is in a straight line. Not the same as a steel string.
I'll be getting them inserted into an bone insert, like this:

Means they can be intonated and still have a good solid contact point with the bridge, through the bone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification