The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-20-2016, 10:47 AM

Default Setup Help Needed

Ok, here's my setup up and hopefully someone can help.
Sorry in advance for the long post!

I'm using the Schertler M-AG-6 with the S-mic. I send the combined signal of those into the Empress ParaEQ from there into MXR Reverb then into one input of EH 720 Looper (stereo) then into High Z input of channel 1 of the Jam 100.

Second source is Audio Techinca Pro 70 Lav. mic which is permanently connected to a power module and the module has an XLR out. I take the XLR out and send it to the Boss GE-7 with an XLR to 1/4" cable, then it goes to the second input of the looper and from there into the Jam 100 channel 2. Here is where the help is needed. Is it best to go into the high Z input with a 1/4" cable or is it better use an adapter 1/4" to XLR to go into the balanced input of the Jam?

I tried both ways and here's what I get - 1/4" cable from looper to High Z input, gives me low signal. I have to just about crank channel volume (3:00) on amp as well as boost a decent amount on EQ pedal to get enough volume on the mic.
When I use a 1/4" cable with an XLR adapter and go into the balanced input I get a very hot signal where I have to keep the channel volume at 10:00 and barely just a bump on the EQ pedal boost to make up for freq. cuts. The only issue with this is the hiss gets a bit louder than the other way.
I would think method 2 is the best but maybe using 1/4" to XLR adapter and running from pedals into balanced input is not the proper way to go. Any thoughts?
There is a third channel on the Jam that has 1/4" high Z and low Z inputs but not sure what this channel is designer for.

As always any help and insght is much appreciated!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Try removing the Boss pedal from the microphone signal chain, running the mic directly into the XLR input on channel 2.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:59 AM

Hi,

that seems easy to me.

Don´t use an XLR adapter - get a cheap, passive DI and you´re done.

http://www.thomann.de/de/palmer_pan_...d87bc58630105f

You can try the -30 db button as well.

cu

erniecaster
Old 07-20-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Try removing the Boss pedal from the microphone signal chain, running the mic directly into the XLR input on channel 2.
I did try running it direct into the amp but it needs more EQ control than the amp provides. I wish the amp had an fx loop or insert as this would solve the issue. Aside from EQ I would like both sources to run through the looper so the looped sound doesn't change too much from the live sound.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniecaster View Post
Hi,

that seems easy to me.

Don´t use an XLR adapter - get a cheap, passive DI and you´re done.

http://www.thomann.de/de/palmer_pan_...d87bc58630105f

You can try the -30 db button as well.

cu

erniecaster
Thanks EC, I didn't think of that and obviously that's an easy solution, thank you!
Old 07-20-2016, 03:49 PM

I don't have my jam 100 in front of me right now but it does have N 1/8th inch Jack on the back I think, right. Try running into that. It'ok be -20 but no eq.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:49 PM

Talking

@Fret-o-file
"Second source is Audio Technica Pro 70 Lav. mic..."

.....I've been interested in those Lavalier mics.....are you using it for vocals, and if so, how do you like it?.....
Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgt178 View Post
@Fret-o-file
"Second source is Audio Technica Pro 70 Lav. mic..."

.....I've been interested in those Lavalier mics.....are you using it for vocals, and if so, how do you like it?.....
Hey dgt, no not using for vocals, just as a second source for for acoustic guitar.
I like the sound quality of the mic itself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification