The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-03-2016, 02:24 PM

Default Quick Drop D solutions for Nylon string?

Does anyone know of a quick-one-motion detuning-device that would turn my low E NYLON string into a D (or even a C)?

- i cannot be the only one dreaming about such a device.

- i understand that the nylon nature of the strings (D addario ProArte EXP45) makes it for a lesser set-tuning-predictability and wider increment (3 half turn on the peg) than on steel/electric strings

- here are a couple of devices that could have worked (with some DIY adjustments naturally since there were all designed for the electric/steel guitar world)

The Press/Depress direction: It would need a motion-range of about 9mm (0.35inches) to shift an nylon low E to a D, dont know if this can do it.

The classic Hipshot Extender idea - not sure the range would be enough, and uneasy to install on a classical peghead.

I hear banjos have that nice invention on, would this be usable with nylon? (and again, not necessarely easy to fit on a classical peghead)

Anyone you has any lead - or experiences - to share?
Thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 03:18 PM

A hipshot type of device might be nice. I've seen similar on some classical guitars.

Other than that, doing drop D on a classical is a bit more problematic than a steel string, because even if you tune it perfectly, the string will tighten up slightly bit by bit after tuning.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-03-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
A hipshot type of device might be nice. I've seen similar on some classical guitars.
That d be nice right??

Where/what/when have you "seen similar" !?!

Yup, nylon string stretch-memory is expected to be in way, though live it would give the ability to segue into next tune right away, one can always fine-tune mid-song
Old 01-03-2016, 04:34 PM

Won't work because of the memory effect of nylon.

The way a lot of pros do it is tune below D, pull on the string, then bring it back up to D.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:16 PM

Thanks for sharing input RiffMeister - indeed i m well aware of the limitations with nylon strings.

Yet from my own experience, it could work be it for a moment, and stay in tune enough for at least the next song intro-verse before needing some fine tuning - if only that, that ll help tremendously as for keeping a live set uninterrupted. And even if it might work better one way (D to E) than the other (E to D), this is still some precious minutes/seconds saved to keep the flow going!

Though your remark leads to my next question: does anyone who tried Carbon Strings think i d have a better chance trying this with them (as opposed to "regular" silvercoated EXP45)?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat80hm View Post
That d be nice right??

Where/what/when have you "seen similar" !?!

Yup, nylon string stretch-memory is expected to be in way, though live it would give the ability to segue into next tune right away, one can always fine-tune mid-song
My friend Louis Trepanier has a 7-string with extra frets on the low bass string. I can't remember if it has a mechanical device with it, but it wouldn't be too difficult to create the same thing on a 6 string with a built-in one fret capo to toggle the guitar from normal to drop-D. It would be nice for scales, too!!

Another version I saw was on a friend's upright bass, and it had a similar fingerboard extension on the low bass string that DID include a toggle lever. I wouldn't be surprised if the guitar builder of Louis' guitar got the idea from the classical bass (and cello??) world.)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-05-2016, 08:56 PM

Forgot the photo link:

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
My friend Louis Trepanier has a 7-string with extra frets on the low bass string. I can't remember if it has a mechanical device with it, but it wouldn't be too difficult to create the same thing on a 6 string with a built-in one fret capo to toggle the guitar from normal to drop-D. It would be nice for scales, too!!
it would be cool to play in standard tuning but have a low open D. seems like you might have to change which tuning peg does what and use the 4th string tuner for the low d to allow space for the mini nut..
Old 01-06-2016, 10:31 AM

I'm guessing a mechanical device to put/release tension on a nylon string for a whole step change in pitch would be quite challenging. Have you ever tried to bend a nylon string up a whole step? It requires a much larger movement of the string compared to a steel string.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
I'm guessing a mechanical device to put/release tension on a nylon string for a whole step change in pitch would be quite challenging. Have you ever tried to bend a nylon string up a whole step? It requires a much larger movement of the string compared to a steel string.
Agreed! A tension based mechanism would likely be very challenging. But if you look at the fretboard extension on Louis' guitar (above), you'll see that in order to add a small one-string capo lever, it would not bend the string to pitch, but rather, it would simply "fret" the string to the zero fret, just as fretting fingers fret a note on any fret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
it would be cool to play in standard tuning but have a low open D. seems like you might have to change which tuning peg does what and use the 4th string tuner for the low d to allow space for the mini nut..
Yes, that seems the way it is on Louis' instrument. I suppose one could design a roller bearing system to route the string after it passes behind the single nut back to its usual 6th string tuner. A very interesting thought. My creative mind is all a whirl!! ;-)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 01-09-2016, 09:15 PM

Lots of interesting thoughts here!

The extended fretboard direction found on acoustic upright basses or electric ex factor/kubicki) is really nice and offers a lot of notes (Eb, D, Db, C)

Quote:
My friend Louis Trepanier has a 7-string with extra frets on the low bass string.
The system on his guitar is indeed similar

However, i like a lot of the fingerings a regular drop-D tuning offers (symetric D strings), so that might not be the right direction for me.

I d need:
- either a device that d enable 3 half-rounds on the tuning tree with the flick of a leveler

- either some device that would act around the bridge region and allow a full-tone drop of the string (a la EVH D-tuna somehow)

I m thinking it might be possible to build some DIY thingy around the bridge, dont you?

Last edited by Strat80hm; 01-09-2016 at 09:38 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
drop d tuning, hipshot, pegs, sperzel, tuners