The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-22-2018, 06:36 AM

Well, we will be offering up great weather for our home games.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
In terms of weather, a Boston / Milwaukee series wouldn't be much different than a Boston / LA series. Since the Brewers play indoors! Kind of amazed nobody mentioned this... Boston is the potential problem. The year the Phillies played Tamp Bay (2008), it was kind of messed up - the Florida team played indoors and the Phillies played outside, resulting in the only WS game I'm aware of that had to be called because of weather and then finished (not replayed - FINISHED) two days later in an abbreviated 4 inning game.

I get the appeal of the playoffs and giving more teams a shot at the post-season and making the regular season arguably a bit more interesting. Not to mention the revenues from those two playoff series before the WS. But to me baseball has always been a long-haul game and I actually liked it better when it was just the AL and NL and the best team in each met in one 7 game series. Or, at MOST, when they split each league into two divisions so there was only an LCS preceding the WS. But I don't like having teams that are only the 5th or 6th best team in the league getting in through the Wild Card (or winning a really weak division) and having a shot at the whole thing. Because even the worst team in baseball is gonna win about a third of their games and can get hot and win a few series against much better teams. I just hate to see lesser teams in there.

But, hey, I also HATE the designated hitter rule and never watch AL baseball during the season because of it, so I'm just a bitter old man I guess. But NL baseball is strategically and tactically soooooo much more interesting!
Great contribution, and I cannot disagree with your feelings, much. I do sort of like the DH, but I wish MLB would make it the same for each of the National and American Leagues. I think if they ever did it would include the DH to keep paying players who can hit great but couldn't catch a fly ball more than 10 feet from him

Last edited by golfreggie; 10-22-2018 at 12:12 PM. Reason: content
Old 10-22-2018, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Speaking of the DH rule...I read today that Alex Cora is considering moving Mookie Betts to second base for the games in LA so that J.D. Rameriz' can go to right field and keep his bat in the lineup. So the DH rule may really come into focus in this series, especially if Mookie or JD makes a big error.

Mookie was an infielder in the minor leagues, made the switch to outfield because the Sox had a former MVP in Pedroia at second base, and is a great athlete. Still, this gives me the heebie-jeebies. He is arguably the best right fielder in baseball, and Rameriz hasn't played much outfield lately.

Is it worth a fall off at 2 defensive positions to keep JD's bat in the lineup? I think the answer is easy, he hits too well and they are paying him too much money to leave him on the bench. Too bad he has never played first base, the typical place to put a DH in a national league park. Hopefully they will have a lead and be able to get him out of there in the late innings.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
Great contribution, and I cannot disagree with your feelings, much. I do sort of like the DH, but I wish MLB would make it the same for each of the National and American Leagues. I think if they ever did it would include the DH to keep paying players who can hit great but couldn't catch a fly ball more than 10 feet from him
I think it's pretty likely both leagues will have the DH at some point - all of that extra offense has gotta be good for the gate. I'm kind of amazed it hasn't happened yet, given how long the DH has been around and how popular it seems to be with all but the most hardcore of baseball fans. I just hope that if the NL has managed to withstand the pressure for this long, they can give me another 25-30 years, at which point I'll probably be dead or not terribly sentient - either way I doubt I'll care! For now, if I lived in an AL city, I'd never go to a game.

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic