The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-03-2022, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Default One step above iPhone for recording ?

Hi all,

I’m wondering if there is any recording setup that is inexpensive, simple, but still superior to an iPhone.

I’m thinking I’d like to be able to make videos with a slightly better audio component. But as I look at my iPhone now, there are no jacks other than the charger jack.

Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks
Old 08-03-2022, 09:02 AM

There are dozens of options. You are looking for a digital video camera. Some look similar to a regular DSLR still camera. All the usual brands offer one or more. Price range is anywhere from a few hundred dollars to a thousand and well beyond. Good luck I hope this helps.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-03-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLQ View Post
I’m wondering if there is any recording setup that is inexpensive, simple, but still superior to an iPhone. Any ideas welcomed!
I was curious myself so I googled and came up with these sites

https://www.diyvideostudio.com/conne...deo-recording/

https://www.igeeksblog.com/best-ipho...l-microphones/

But my bias is since you likely have a PC/Mac in the house to just take the plunge with something like Focusrite's starter package - Mic, USB box, cables & headphones.

https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-i...tt-solo-studio

On the PC side there is free Audacity software for recording and editing, and GarageBand for the Mac. Literally thousands of YouTube videos to walk you thru the process.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

On the first page of the stickied thread, at the bottom, are a list of Portable Digital Recorders being used by members here.
Those would seem to fit the bill for you.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-03-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

I’m wondering if there is any recording setup that is inexpensive, simple, but still superior to an iPhone.

I’m thinking I’d like to be able to make videos with a slightly better audio component. But as I look at my iPhone now, there are no jacks other than the charger jack.

Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks
If you're thinking of upgrading your audio while shooting iPhone video there are a number of good options. I've been happy with various iK Multimedia tools, the iRig Pro Duo is my favorite if you have nice microphones you want to connect to your iPhone.

If you don't have mics then you're looking at a different range of products. I think the most important thing to look for is the ability to place the mic at a distance from phone, in other words you need a mic and a cable rather than a mic that attaches directly to the phone.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-03-2022, 04:53 PM

I’ve had good results with using my iPhone to record video and the Zoom H2N for audio. I’ve since upgraded to condenser mics but I still occasionally use the Zoom H2N for quickly recording ideas or when I make a video with my friend in it. It’s a great little piece of kit.

Here’s a video I used the Zoom H2N for, nothing has been done to enhance the audio.

Old 08-03-2022, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks
Whats your budget?
You can record straight into your iPhone via $25 Saramonic Smartrig II XLR.
Or as mentioned above use any of zoom lineup to record and mix after or record straight into iPhone.
Mic: Line Audio CM4
Zoom H6
Audient ID14 mk II
Black Mountain thumbpicks

https://www.youtube.com/c/SergeDenfordGuitar
Old 08-03-2022, 05:47 PM

1 step above https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/mv88
Old 08-03-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks
Most of the "step up" audio / video projects will involve recording audio separately from the smart phone video and syncing them in post production. It's a bit more work, but worth it to achieve good results. You can get some good ideas for this from Fran Guidry's Homebrewed Music website.

Here's a quick smart phone video combined with audio from a ultra-cheap pair or condenser microphones:

Old 08-04-2022, 01:43 AM

I'd suggest taking a look at the shure mv88+ video kit.

It's a good match for an iPhone.

There are quite a few threads about it on here and most owners seem to be happy with it.
Including me.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Any ideas welcomed!

Thanks
I'm assuming you're not interested in syncing audio to video in post, if you are then the possibilities really open up. But if you're not, the main goal is to get the mic close to the guitar. The Shure MV88 gets a lot of recommendations and can be connected using a Lightning extension cable. The iRig Pro or Pro Duo does a great job of bringing external mics into an IOS device. Here's a clip I shot using an iPhone XS Max with a pair of AT3035 mics. I did all the editing, titling, etc. in the phone:

I would say that this is the high end of direct connect solutions, bringing in external pro level mics. There are solutions that connect a hobby level mic into the iPhone audio circuitry and a/d and while these are a bit of a compromise they're still an improvement over using the iPhone built-in mic just because of the ability to position the mic better.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-06-2022, 11:06 AM

This adapter will make a Rode VideoMic Micro work with an iPhone:

https://www.amazon.com/Saramonic-Lig...s%2C118&sr=8-3

Here is the VideoMic Micro.

https://www.amazon.com/Rode-VideoMic...s%2C128&sr=8-3

It will probably work with other mics as well, but I have the VideoMic Micro, and use it with that adapter, and the volume level is right with the built in Apple Camera app. I imagine there is some variation in the output levels of other mics, and that would involves some trial and error if the level is too hot or too soft.

I use it with a Moment MagSafe mount with a cold shoe mount for the mic:

https://www.amazon.com/Moment-Tripod...s%2C130&sr=8-5

If you wanted the option to shoot videos in portrait mode for Instagram or Facebook, you could choose this Moment MagSafe adapter instead:

https://www.amazon.com/Moment-Pro-Tr...s%2C130&sr=8-3
Old 08-06-2022, 11:11 AM

One other thing about the iPhone is that the rear cameras are far better quality than the selfie camera, especially the main wide camera.

If you have an Apple Watch, you can use it as a remote to start and stop the recording, and to check your framing.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:13 AM

I shot both of these with this setup, using the main rear camera on the iPhone with my watch as the remote. Using an acoustic amp at low volume balances out the low frequencies of the sound from the camera mic position and lets me add a little reverb:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=650737

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=650738

Last edited by lkingston; 08-06-2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:23 AM

Be aware that just because a cable has lightning on one end and a TRS plug on the other doesn’t mean it is going to work with a microphone. Usually these cables are wired to be aux cables for amplifying the stereo audio from a phone.

The Saramonic cable is wired for the mic and mic power connections. That’s why it works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD