The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-29-2022, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Thanks for the comments guys!

With the 1 5/8" nut and small frets I think I'll wait until I can play one in person before buying. Sadly Ricks are as rare as hen's teeth here so that may never happen.
There are several Rick guitar models with wider necks and string spacing, and there are some good mods for 12-string Ricks to widen the string spacing, too.

Vintage ('50s-early '70s) Ricks do have smaller fret wire, later models have larger frets.

The 1967 330 I had and the '08 330 a friend had were vastly different in feel.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the comments guys!

With the 1 5/8" nut and small frets I think I'll wait until I can play one in person before buying. Sadly Ricks are as rare as hen's teeth here so that may never happen.
There are several Rickenbacker guitar models with wider necks and string spacing, and there are some good mods for 12-string Ricks to widen the string spacing, too.

Vintage ('50s-early '70s) Ricks do have smaller frets, later models have larger frets.

The 1967 330 I had and the '08 330 a friend had were vastly different in feel.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
...Vintage ('50s-early '70s) Ricks do have smaller fret wire, later models have larger frets...
The older-style skinny frets lasted at least through the '80s on the 300-Series hollowbodies: about 20 years ago I did some hired-gun work with a P&W team at a newly-established church, whose lead guitarist used a '67 360/6 as his main guitar - but for the lighter strings (he used D'A XL115W) it felt virtually identical to my '85...
Old 07-30-2022, 07:34 AM

I had one for a while (324c), because I wanted to focus on early Beatles. And I thought it was cool to stand out in a world of Strats and LPs. But I moved on and it was expendable.

The best fit and finish I'd ever seen, BTW.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:46 AM

...because I don't own one.

I've never considered owning one. I just don't thing it's my thing.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

It’s one of the few guitars I’ve never owned, or played. All the more reason to add one!
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 07-30-2022, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I'd wanted a Rickenbacker ever since I saw George Harrison playing one in the Beatles in 1963 or 1964.

It took until 2001 to realize the ambition, when I bought this beauty - it's a 650D (or 'Dakota') model. Unusual for a Rickenbacker, in that it has a 1 3/4" nut width, and humbuckers. It originally came with a chrome pickguard, which I replaced because it was way too conspicuous in church

This remains my favourite electric guitar ever. I did also have a lovely mapleglo 330/12 for a few years, which I sold because it was getting no playing time. It sounded like a choir of angels.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-30-2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I always wanted a Rickenbacker 360-12 in fireglow, so I did finally buy one quite a while ago. Something like this...

https://youtu.be/UfVBqZnh534

- Glenn
Very cool guitar Glenn!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 08-03-2022, 01:11 PM

You’re in a Beatles cover band. That’s why I bought mine about 20 years or so ago. It’s a 330 6 string in Jetglo and it’s a great guitar. In that band I played it through a Vox AD60VTH head with a custom 2x12 cab. It always sounded good. I will add that if you like that ‘60s jangle it’s possible to get it with other gear. For example, I will often use a Tele > Janglebox > Vox AC15 to get that sound, and there isn’t much difference. (a Janglebox is a kind of treble booster with some compression built in. They were big in the Beatles cover band world years ago but you don’t hear much about them now) I have so many guitars that the Ric does not get much attention these days. I’ve considered selling it, but I still like it, so… it stays for now.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I always wanted a Rickenbacker 360-12 in fireglow, so I did finally buy one quite a while ago. Something like this...
- Glenn
I guess "whoa" will have to do for now.
That's really good!
Mike
Old 08-03-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
- Glenn
That's really good!
edit... after I had listened to this about 10 times, my wife was about to go to bed and I said she had to watch this.
She said "That's really good!", and she commented Glenn was fingerpicking the electric guitar, which she is impressed by.
And neither of us like Bruce. At all.
Great job.
Mike
Old 08-03-2022, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in lytle View Post
That's really good!
edit... after I had listened to this about 10 times, my wife was about to go to bed and I said she had to watch this.
She said "That's really good!", and she commented Glenn was fingerpicking the electric guitar, which she is impressed by.
And neither of us like Bruce. At all.
Great job.
Mike
Thank you Mike!

How nice of you! I'm so glad you liked this cover!

Yes, I did finger pick that Rick 360-12. I don't usually, I generally use a flat pick on that guitar even for Byrds stuff, but it just seemed to fit the song.

I appreciate your listening and your kind feedback!

- Glenn
Old 08-04-2022, 06:22 PM
Guest 33123

A brand new 330/6 in Fireglo showed up at a L&M 2 hours drive from here. Exact guitar I've been hoping to try out. I think my wife would throttle me though. I bought a SG and a LP in the past two months. Feeling all sweaty and confused now.
Old 08-05-2022, 12:34 AM

Quote:
A brand new 330/6 in Fireglo showed up at a L&M 2 hours drive from here. Exact guitar I've been hoping to try out. I think my wife would throttle me though. I bought a SG and a LP in the past two months. Feeling all sweaty and confused now.
Tell here the Rick is nothing like those two Gibsons (or, are yours Epiphones?). Let you wife know that the Rick is far superior to both of them.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:53 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Tell here the Rick is nothing like those two Gibsons (or, are yours Epiphones?). Let you wife know that the Rick is far superior to both of them.
After 29+ years together she'll see through that like grandma's underpants. She's very sharp, PhD and all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars