The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-23-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I use my middle finger to hold down all three strings. I’ve tried to convert to my my pointer fingers to give me more reach up the fretboard, but I’ve never gotten clean with it. I occasionally use my middle, ring, and pinky if I’m playing a suspended 2 and/or 4, but using three fingers for a job normally done by one on consecutive strings on the same fret just feels really crowded and clumsy to me…

-Ray
Ray, I do this same thing with my middle finger on certain songs and it sounds real clean with the high E ringing out. I actually really like playing it that way. One thing I just can’t get used to is the sound of this chord when the high E is muted when barring the B&G strings with the first finger. The chord just sounds too subdued or muddy to me. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 07-23-2022, 08:59 AM

What works best for me, and most ergonomic for me, is 1-1-2 or 2-3-4 depending on what comes prior and/or after. For me, in just about all circumstances that provides the most economy of motion.
Old 07-23-2022, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I started doing that (2-1-3) about 30 years ago. Not so "new."

If you don't play the open 1st string a partial barre works depending on the before and after chords/positions.
I use a "partial barre" with my middle finger, and I'm still able to play the high E. I guess that end portion of that finger is just exactly the right size for me to play an A chord (or a Dmaj 7, on the three highest strings).

-Ray
Old 07-23-2022, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I use the 1-2-3 fingering your instructor recommends. I never had lessons; this is just what I found made sense while I was learning on my own. I've seen other players do different things on the A chord, including James Taylor. I've never been comfortable with other approaches after trying them.

- Glenn
Old 07-23-2022, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

My default has always been 234 though I do use other fingerings occasionally.
It was what my main instructor suggested. He really was a great teacher (something are really only came to appreciate later) At the time he said something like it was building a foundation for the future learning. Same for 234 on open G. Actually at one time he even had me practicing making all the 2 and 3 note open chords, even C and D (yikes) w/o my index finger.
When it came time for me to start working on bar chords and “flat” keys turned out he was right! Never had a problem with Bb or pretty much any of the rest of them.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57classic View Post
It was what my main instructor suggested. He really was a great teacher (something are really only came to appreciate later) At the time he said something like it was building a foundation for the future learning. Same for 234 on open G. Actually at one time he even had me practicing making all the 2 and 3 note open chords, even C and D (yikes) w/o my index finger.
When it came time for me to start working on bar chords and “flat” keys turned out he was right! Never had a problem with Bb or pretty much any of the rest of them.
Brilliant!
Old 07-24-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57classic View Post
Good tip!

I can't remember where my own 234 choice - on both A and G - came from, but certainly not a teacher. Probably the fingering given in a chord dictionary back then, although that makes it surprising that it seems such a rare choice now (among folks here anyway).

Last edited by JonPR; 07-24-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Learn them all, certainly, but once you get to a certain point you will most likely end up where we all do - 111. At least that was my case. I don't even remember when it happened. I remember learning initially and using predominantly for years 123 but then all of the sudden one day I just found myself playing 111 and it's been that way ever since.
A HUGE ditto for this!

If a player is first learning guitar or is a long time player who is content to strum chords then playing one of the varieties of "Mel Bay A" will work fine.

After playing 55 years I had to pick up my guitar to even evaluate my use of the A chord form.

Since I play chords interlaced with playing melodic notes the majority of time, it's almost always strings 2,3,4 bridged at the second fret with the index finger. The middle, ring, and pinky fingers are then utilized to play higher notes the majority of the time.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-26-2022 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseflesh View Post
…If I can't switch or don't wanna, my instructor will roll with it, but I do want to give it real consideration.

What do y'all think? Any strong opinions?
Hi Horseflesh…

If you fingerstyle and/or do a lot of hammering of chords, and play a lot of alternative versions of chords, then the 'new' A is superior. As Barry said, it's not that new. I started using it probably 25 years back.

For instance using the 'new' fingering, one can play the progression | A | AM7 | A7 | A7sus A7 | without repositioning the fretting hand, or even switching up fingers. Just involves moving, lifting a finger, or dropping a pinky.

You can also move from a standard D chord, leave finger 1 in place and just drop the other two forming the A right around it.

There is no harm in learning several ways to form that combination of strings-n-fingers. Even though this specific usage is for position 1 chords, the pattern is useful for rhythm and lead playing up the neck as well.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-25-2022, 11:51 AM

Hmm..l never gave it much thought,, but the barre A is most easy,, but it's hard not to mute high E.. and 123 is a more fun for SUS, and also moving to related sus chords.. and weird open 7maj chords.. it is just a better one to have in the bag... it just sets you up for quicker changes and embellishments.. mho

Scuzzo
https://soundclick.com/Scuzzo

Electric Cowbell Project
https://soundclick.com/r/bkpli

Sorry,, it's a bit hacky, and it's all electric, new to the acoustic thing.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:00 PM

The "new" fingering is my old fingering I learned 40 years ago. I don't see any advantage to 123. 213 lets the pinky reach the low E for a seventh though.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for the ring finger covering all three strings. For me that's just the easiest but I see a lot of players using the forefinger as well.
'02 Goodall GC
'20 Gibson Southern Jumbo
Deering Maple Blossom
'62 Danectro Longhorn Bass
UAD Apollo x8p, Apollo Twin
Genelec 8351B's Studio Monitors
Genelec 7370A Sub
Lauten Audio LT-386
Old 07-26-2022, 01:07 AM
Charter Member

With a left hand like mine, I bloody hate the A chord, or any barre chords for that matter , and a good few other chord shapes to boot! I'm sort of stuck with 234 to play the full open A, but very rarely go there. I'll fudge it in some way; like by using 2x3 or picking the melody at that point, or cross picking so that I can just hold a partial chord. There are lots of ways to skin a cat when you have to.

Most importantly, my audience doesn't notice or care one hoot!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-26-2022, 01:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Horseflesh…

If you fingerstyle and/or do a lot of hammering of chords, and play a lot of alternative versions of chords, then the 'new' A is superior. As Barry said, it's not that new. I started using it probably 25 years back.

For instance using the 'new' fingering, one can play the progression | A | AM7 | A7 | A7sus A7 | without repositioning the fretting hand, or even switching up fingers. Just involves moving, lifting a finger, or dropping a pinky.

You can also move from a standard D chord, leave finger 1 in place and just drop the other two forming the A right around it.

There is no harm in learning several ways to form that combination of strings-n-fingers. Even though this specific usage is for position 1 chords, the pattern is useful for rhythm and lead playing up the neck as well.

Ironically I "found" the new styles starting out 28 years ago to accomodate my inability to play 234 cleanly due to big fingers/poor technique.

When I progressed a bit - say 5 years ago (I plateaud early amd deep...) - my approach turned out to be quite beneficial.
Old 07-26-2022, 06:47 AM

111 mostly. As someone else said, it's the most rock n roll

I do recommend trying 1444 for A-shape chords up the neck. It seems most people use 1333 but I found 1444 is much more comfortable once you get used to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write