The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-26-2022, 01:05 PM

I have never found a need for one. The Ibanez does the job for me.

Now if we were taking about a 335....I've wanted one for a while now. Just can't justify the purchase as I don't play the ones I have enough.
2022 Guild F-2512E
1985 Tokai Love Rock
Old 07-26-2022, 02:44 PM

I don't and won't. They sound fine but the weight balance and body shape just don't suit me.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:38 AM

I went to a store a couple of weeks ago fully intent on buying a 50's or 60's Standard. I was impressed with the new Gibsons but walked out with an Eastman SB 59/v.
It reminded me of a real 50's goldtop that I was fortunate enough to play in London on tour in 2007. That guitar left a big impression on me. 8 ish pounds, resonant, alive.
It felt worn in like a comfy old pair of shoes. So does the Eastman. The low output lollar imperials are beautifully musical, seemingly both thick and clear. It really speaks to me.
Hopefully it's enough to scratch my Les Paul itch for a while.

Steve
Old 08-16-2022, 09:51 AM

A little progress on the Giffin T Deluxe. I went with a flat top vs. carved to save $ and weight. He was able to file the saddles to allow for a 17" radius. Still working on how to get all the wiring options I want.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:36 AM

Don't have any desire for one, and I generally think Gibson is very very very proud of themselves and their guitars are overpriced compared to Fenders. If I ever get a Gibson, it would be a 335. But most likely would just get the Epiphone inspired by Gibson.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 08-16-2022, 12:16 PM

That's beautiful! Do you have a build thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

A little progress on the Giffin T Deluxe. I went with a flat top vs. carved to save $ and weight. He was able to file the saddles to allow for a 17" radius. Still working on how to get all the wiring options I want.
Old 08-17-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That's beautiful! Do you have a build thread?
Not on this forum.
Old 12-13-2022, 08:38 AM

Some progress pics.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:14 AM

My current “Les Paul”

Used to own a Studio, but this one put it to shame from construction and tone. I’m gasing for a good top tribute a friend of mine is selling.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:03 AM

Nothing sounds like a Les Paul except a Les Paul…
Old 12-14-2022, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

When I got my Epi es335 a little over a month ago I was thinking that if I liked it, I'd get a Gibson 335 in the future. Well I love it, so now I want to keep it and get a Les Paul.

I don't want a 10 pound guitar, so I plan on doing a lot of looking and playing next year to find one that's just right for me.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Short Answer: I think a Les Paul requires more ability and technique than I have or am likely to develop in the near future.

Long Answer:

This is a near-beginner experience based on a couple short exposures to a LP type guitar (one of the recent Epiphone '59 models) in a store. So take it with many grains of salt.

When I was trying LOTS of different guitars, not knowing at the time that I was going to fall in love with a Telecaster (and maybe I'm at heart a single coil kind of player?), I tried one of those really nice looking Epiphone LP's. Aside from the weight of the darned thing and the fact that something about neck made it not fit my hand so well, I was impressed by some of the sounds that seemed to me in there.

But no matter what I tried, it always felt like the really good sound I was almost getting wouldn't quite happen. Hard to describe in words. It's like a note or a chord could sound amazingly full and, I dunno, weighty or something. But when I tried to string notes together in a tune it was just muddled and mushy sounding.

So I dunno, is an LP supposed to be a hard to play instrument? Are your basic Teles and Strats just easier for a beginner to fumble around on and get a pleasing tune out of? Or is it just me.

At any rate, before the Tele I had a humbucker-equipped Ibanez that I could get some good tunes out of but once I got the Telecaster and got used to it the appeal of those humbuckers seems less and less. I think I just like the chime and clarity I can get from the single coils. But in the right hands i love the heavier tones that great players get from Les Pauls.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 12-14-2022, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Ever seen a florentine LP?

Picked this one up from a friend last week.
I’ve been enjoying it. I have had 2 others- the first was returned because it was damaged and returned and then sold to me as new at GC.
The second was a studio I didn’t keep because it was poorly finished.
This is a 2010 sort of rare bird Lp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A2BB3F4A-B2C0-4B85-8D5B-BED81EC8B02D.jpg (27.4 KB, 70 views)
Old 12-14-2022, 08:54 AM

Back when they were the best electric guitars you could get, it was because I didn't have anything like enough money.

Now there are many high quality guitars to choose from and there's no need to stick with this specific old design. I don't like two volumes and two tones, it's too heavy and simultaneously too delicate, and I'm not into that single-cut look. The Strat or PRS body shape better positions the strap button for balance.

LPs are fine if you like that kind of thing.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

The LP/Marshall marriage IS the sound in my head.
This says it for me. I still miss the LP that was stolen from me in 1980. I'm back in the market and looking for one again. I hear the reissues are quite good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars