The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-09-2023, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong's New Custom Offerings...

https://www.rainsong.com/limitedandc...&utm_source=so
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-09-2023 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I do like the look of the red black ice. Very tasty.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-09-2023, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Lol - one of those guitars has the exact set of customizations I reached out for a price quote almost a year ago. I ended up not ordering because the final price was going to be just too high (much like the guitar offered here).

I do love my RainSongs but I think their prices are creeping up to ridiculous land. The upside is if I ever decide to sell them I'll probably be able to get what I paid new! Glad I got mine when I did.

If I'm going to pay nearly $5k for a custom CF guitar, it's going to be an Emerald with a LOT more features and be WAY better looking!
Old 02-09-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I do like the look of the red black ice. Very tasty.
I do too. I think the red black ice guitars look amazing! I’d like to have a red OM black ice with N1 neck someday to compliment my other Rainsongs.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

I do love my RainSongs but I think their prices are creeping up to ridiculous land.
My thoughts exactly.

I guess "if the market will support it" might as well keep escalating. Kind of discouraging for those who might be considering "trying a CF" and having to swallow this high of an entry fee.

Glad I entered the CF experience back in 2017 .... when prices were reasonable and affordable for the 'non professional' players.

I know if I ever sold mine (two rainsongs) I'd never be able to justify buying back in at the way things are escalating.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lol - one of those guitars has the exact set of customizations I reached out for a price quote almost a year ago. I ended up not ordering because the final price was going to be just too high (much like the guitar offered here).

I do love my RainSongs but I think their prices are creeping up to ridiculous land. The upside is if I ever decide to sell them I'll probably be able to get what I paid new! Glad I got mine when I did.

If I'm going to pay nearly $5k for a custom CF guitar, it's going to be an Emerald with a LOT more features and be WAY better looking!
I agree with you Scott and Northtrader. I love my CH-OM, but I could never afford to get a Rainsong now. I love the look of the new sunbursts they are showing (and yours is real nice too Scott) but 5k?
It's like they are pricing themselves out of the working musicians pocket.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-10-2023, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I doubt they are raising their prices just to be exclusive. There's a lot of inflation going around.
Old 02-12-2023, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I doubt they are raising their prices just to be exclusive. There's a lot of inflation going around.
Perhaps, but I still have a hard time with their "custom designs" especially when compared to the guitars that Emerald is putting out. With these inflated prices, it's going to be only natural to compare custom Rainsongs with custom Emeralds. Don't get me wrong, I've owned and enjoyed a bunch of Rainsongs but I think they tend to lose a lot of ground to Emerald's offerings...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-13-2023 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Perhaps, but I still have a hard time with their "custom designs" especially when compared to the guitars that Emerald is putting out. With these inflated prices, it's going to be only natural to compare custom Rainsongs with custom Emeralds. Don't get wrong, I've owned and enjoyed a bunch of Rainsongs but I think they tend to lose a lot of ground to Emerald's offerings...
Agree about Emerald customizations vs. RainSong offerings. No contest. Even though Emerald has dialed back on just how much individual customization they'll do, they still win that contest hands down. Comfort bevels, ergonomics, custom neck carves, more (albeit less useful for me) pickup offerings and of course the biggest thing - their weave colors and especially those incredible looking highly figured wood veneers!

But for me RainSong wins with their tone (both acoustic and amplified) and pickup offerings (much prefer the Baggs StagePro systems to anything Emerald offers). But I do miss pulling out my Emerald cocobolo X20 at gigs and open mics and seeing the faces of guitar players light up and then fielding many a question post-gig. Although I will say the RainSong Black Ice dread does get noticed and asked about as well.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:53 AM

Quote:
...RainSong wins with their tone (both acoustic and amplified) and pickup offerings (much prefer the Baggs StagePro systems to anything Emerald offers)....
I want to throw in a StagePro in my BI-J. I don't care for the plugged in tone on the RainSong.
If that thing would have a mic in it....oooooooof. I like the acoustic sound better on my BI-J over my X30 as well. After installing the StagePro on the X30, that helped out tremendously with it's plugged in sound. I just abhorr the piezzo sound, which is only what my RainSong has of course. The hole in the side of it is too large to fit a StagePro, or Id have done it a long time ago. I could make a carbon plate to fill it in, but I feel like that poor thing would just look awful with a carbon filler plate, then another pickup setup in it.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
I want to throw in a StagePro in my BI-J. I don't care for the plugged in tone on the RainSong.
If that thing would have a mic in it....oooooooof. I like the acoustic sound better on my BI-J over my X30 as well. After installing the StagePro on the X30, that helped out tremendously with it's plugged in sound. I just abhorr the piezzo sound, which is only what my RainSong has of course. The hole in the side of it is too large to fit a StagePro, or Id have done it a long time ago. I could make a carbon plate to fill it in, but I feel like that poor thing would just look awful with a carbon filler plate, then another pickup setup in it.

Bought my Shorty without the barn door for that same reason, well and also because pickups eventually fail or just get so outdated. I prefer much less invasive solutions. But yes, RainSongs have excellent tone for those not bothered by the inherent nature of CF.
Old 02-15-2023, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
... But yes, RainSongs have excellent tone for those not bothered by the inherent nature of CF.
Bothered by the inherent nature of CF?? I looked it up - it said, "See: people with no taste."
Old 02-15-2023, 04:17 PM

I prefer beef, chicken, pork and fish.

Saw a bumper sticker once, never forgot it. "If vegetarians eat vegetables what do humanitarians eat?"
Old 02-15-2023, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Bought my Shorty without the barn door for that same reason, well and also because pickups eventually fail or just get so outdated. I prefer much less invasive solutions. But yes, RainSongs have excellent tone for those not bothered by the inherent nature of CF.

Between my RainSong and my Taylor 816...if I had to sell one - I'd sell the Taylor. Guess that makes me not bothered!
Old 02-19-2023, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I keep hoping for ergonomic option. Arm and rib bevels are really nice. And a cutaway dread.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber