The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2013, 02:31 PM

Default Do I have to adjust the neck if I change string gauge?

Hey guys. I have a Taylor 114. The Taylor website recommends light gauge strings. If I wanted to try out custom lights, or even extra light strings, would I have to adjust the neck or the truss rod?? Thanks.

(I'm happy with the lights, but I'm just curious to see how the lighter gauges feel)

- Scott
Old 07-14-2013, 02:39 PM

Default Do I have to adjust the neck if I change string gauge?

I don't thing going lighter in strings will make it so you have to change anything. If you were to go to mediums it would probably need some tweaking. FWIW, your planned change will feel a bit better, but you will also be sacrificing some tone and volume. I have a Taylor GA that I went to mediums on and I love the way it sounds. YMMV obviously.
Hope that helps.
Jeff.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:40 PM

Maybe, maybe not. It mostly depends on how your guitar is currently set up for starters and it also depends on the strength of your neck.

Individual guitars respond differently -- and I insist that one could not reliably answer your question just based on their own experience. Every guitar is different. You will have to give it a try to know the answer.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
Hey guys. I have a Taylor 114. The Taylor website recommends light gauge strings. If I wanted to try out custom lights, or even extra light strings, would I have to adjust the neck or the truss rod?? Thanks.

(I'm happy with the lights, but I'm just curious to see how the lighter gauges feel)

- Scott
Hi Scott...

The answer is 'sometimes'…

Dropping two weights might benefit from a small tweak of the truss rod.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Scott...

The answer is 'sometimes'…

Dropping two weights might benefit from a small tweak of the truss rod.

Will I be doing damage to the guitar if I do not adjust the truss rod?

- Scott
Old 07-14-2013, 03:33 PM

Will you need to tweak? Maybe as others have said.

Will changing cause damage? Extremely unlikely on any well made guitar, I think you'd be fine.

I went form the standard I believe EXP 12's on my Tak down to custom lights and then to Pearse Silk n Bronze 11's and I did need to tweak the truss rod. It's all about optimum setup for playing as you like it.

Kris
Old 07-14-2013, 04:03 PM

Going to the lighter gauge will simply lessen the tension on the neck, so damage is not likely to be a factor at all. However, you could find that you experience some fret buzzing. Maybe, maybe not. But you'll know if it happens.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-14-2013, 04:06 PM

Like already posted, it may or may not. I say try the custom lights or the extra lights. The reduced tension on the neck may or may not require a very slight truss rod tweak.

Don't let the possibility of a truss rod adjustment prevent you from trying the lighter gauge strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, guitar, neck, string, taylor