The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-30-2022, 04:51 AM

Default I discovered an excellent cheap soundhole pickup

Belcat SH-85.

https://www.gear4music.ie/Guitar-and...le-Pick-Up/B6W

I think this takes you to the Irish version of their site, but they seem to ship anywhere in Europe and North America, at least.

Paid $25 shipped. (I think there are even cheaper shipping options, I just needed it quickly). Tried it at a gig on Thursday and it sounded surprisingly very good. Clear sound, no buzz or hum plugged into a DI into the board. Clear, acoustic-y sound. It seems to be a Baggs M1 clone, and it does a very good job. I was pretty blown away. I have a K & K installed on another guitar. The K and K is maybe a bit more natural sounding, but this Belcat still sounds like an acoustic guitar.

I ordered a second one to have installed permanently in another guitar. YMMV, but at that price, worth a shot!
Old 07-30-2022, 07:23 AM

These are indeed pretty good. I have one in an old laminated Yamaha that we use as a ‘pass around’ at open mics. I often run it into an orange preamp and, I have to be honest, it’s not a million miles away from the Sunrise. Not as fat in the bass, but just as wide everywhere else. Better, imo, than an M1… but then I don’t like those much, personally.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 07-31-2022, 02:24 AM

Looking at the pictures at various retailers, it's not obvious to me how the output jack will match up with the strap-jack I normally use. And there's mention of an active feature but I see no battery connection. Any info appreciated.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-31-2022, 05:45 AM

The one I have is definitely passive. For using it in the old Yamaha beater I have I just switched the strapjack to and endpin type and permanently installed it. I’d take some pics only I left that guitar in the back room at our regular open mic venue a few weeks ago and haven’t been back for it yet.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 07-31-2022, 06:52 AM

I can concur that it is passive. It is inaccurately marketed as "active."

As Snorse said, you'd have to do some modifications to use the output jack as an endpin. It comes with a little plastic thing you can slip on and off of your endpin for using it as something you'd keep on your guitar only while using it.
Old 07-31-2022, 02:28 PM

Thank you both for the clarification.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-03-2022, 04:59 AM

Thanks for this info in the belcat . It’s amazing what you can find and discover . I will check this out . Hobgoblin does Belcat pick ups . I may wonder to the store in Rathbone place near Oxford Street . They have a branch there . If they don’t have it I’ll order it through your link .

I quite like the fishman rare earth single coil pick up plus the other one with the volume control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Picker View Post
Belcat SH-85.

https://www.gear4music.ie/Guitar-and...le-Pick-Up/B6W

I think this takes you to the Irish version of their site, but they seem to ship anywhere in Europe and North America, at least.

Paid $25 shipped. (I think there are even cheaper shipping options, I just needed it quickly). Tried it at a gig on Thursday and it sounded surprisingly very good. Clear sound, no buzz or hum plugged into a DI into the board. Clear, acoustic-y sound. It seems to be a Baggs M1 clone, and it does a very good job. I was pretty blown away. I have a K & K installed on another guitar. The K and K is maybe a bit more natural sounding, but this Belcat still sounds like an acoustic guitar.

I ordered a second one to have installed permanently in another guitar. YMMV, but at that price, worth a shot!
Old 08-03-2022, 05:06 AM

I was in a guitar store the other day and I saw a used Yamaha guitar which looked like copy of the LRBaggs anthem . It was called a Megeedo . I got the guy to give a demo but with the pick up you had to unscrew it to renew the battery .
He said if I came back another day he will swap the battery . I was just intrigued cause sometime you find these little gems .
Lol

You never know until you try just like you discovered Quebec.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification