The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-02-2022, 03:26 AM

Default Dazzo dual pickup installation.

So I’m doing all my homework before embarking on a self install (I’m overseas).

Digesting install instructions on Dazzo’s site, no recent video on YouTube.

Appreciate some tips on the following
- is it purely volume I’m hearing out for on initial test (pre-epoxy)
- do I keep Dazzo on 1 axis from pins, or does different angle make a difference?
- site says 3 mins- hear the glue harden?
- I’m guessing on treble side, I need to hear for volume but also balance with bass pickup.

Any other input appreciated

Last edited by hann; 08-02-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Hann,

You can try Teddy's method of just using a mirror and having the two E-strings strung while you move each Dazzo transducer around to hear the guitar's tone in different positions. I tried Teddy's method and felt it was rather clumsy for me so I just did it my own way as outlined below.

If I recall from my installations, you can install the Dazzo transducers with or without the endpin/jack already installed in the endblock as the Dazzo lead wires are long enough either way.

The way I do it: Prior to doing anything, I'll lightly sand the bridgeplate with 150-grit sandpaper, vacuum debris from inside the guitar, and clean the bridgeplate with acetone. I next place LED lights inside the guitar on the back and on each side of a mirror. This greatly aids in seeing the installation process when looking inside through the bridgepin holes.

Then I make a jig out of foam board that's wide enough to be just inside the ends of the bridge saddle slot and is long enough to go about 1/4 inch beyond the bridge saddle toward the soundhole, and also long enough to protrude 1/4 inch to the rear of the bridge pin holes. Place this piece of foam board over the bridge and mark where the two E-string bridge pin holes are to be punched through the foam board. Punch the holes and anchor the foam board over the bridge using golf tees and make sure it's parallel to the guitar's top while resting on the bridge and make a mark on the foam board at each end of the bridge saddle slot and at the center of the bridge saddle slot's thickness. Remove the foam board and place it on a hard surface and draw a line between the two bridge saddle slot marks, and using a sharp knife (Exacto works great) cut a nice sharp edge along this line to remove the excess foam board that's toward the soundhole. Place the jig inside the guitar and use the golf tees to anchor the jig flush against the bridge plate. Use a short, sharp pencil, and draw a line along the saddle line edge of the foamboard on the bridgeplate. Remove the jig. Now there's a reference line designating the center of the saddle line and which aids in the installation of the Dazzo transducers. A pencil line shows up well on a maple bridgeplate but a fine white marker would work best to draw a line on a rosewood bridgeplate.

Prepare your epoxy, and you may have to do this for each Dazzo transducer so it's "fresh" each time. Make sure you don't get any Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy (or other epoxy you may be using) on the guitar's top and sides. Optional, but it aids in sliding the Dazzo transducers around a bit is to first smear a thin film of epoxy on the bridgeplate along the saddle line area. Next, smear a thin film of epoxy evenly across the Dazzo transducer surface. I suggest having some paper towels handy the remove epoxy from your fingertips after smearing the epoxy on any surface. Grab the Dazzo transducer by its edges and away from the smeared-on epoxy. Reach inside the soundhole and while looking through the bridgepin holes, bring the first Dazzo up to the bridgeplate between the 1st and 2nd strings and using the saddleline to bisect the transducer press it against the bridgeplate and rotate it back-and-forth a few times and align it with the lead-wire point between the bridgepin holes. After releasing finger pressure the transducer will have a tendency to rotate slightly due to the pull of the leadwire but as the epoxy sets up a bit it will stay oriented properly but you'll likely have to realign it a couple of times until enough setting up takes place. Repeat the installation with the bass-side transducer between the 6th and 5th strings. Be sure that the Dazzo transducers and their leadwires are oriented between and far enough away from where the ball ends of the strings will be located. Keep an eye on the Dazzo positioning as the epoxy sets up and after about 15 to 20 minutes you can restring the guitar and listen to your work.

To address your specific concerns: I'd orient the transducers so the flat front side of the triangular Dazzo is parallel with the front edge of the bridgeplate and each Dazzo is about 1/16 inch (1.5mm) forward toward the sound hole from being bisected by the saddle line. My experience is that this slight forward position sounds a bit warmer and less "clacky" than a bisected position. The choice is yours.

I hope the above helps and although it's a lot of text, the installation is quite simple and will sound good.

Regards,

Ken

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-02-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:25 AM

Thanks!

Sounds like how I install my Pure Minis!
1 jig, 2 anchors, saddle line etc.

Done mine!
Old 08-02-2022, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
Thanks!

Sounds like how I install my Pure Minis!
1 jig, 2 anchors, saddle line etc.

Done mine!
They Look Good! Glad to see you didn't overload the epoxy if that is what you used. How does the system sound in your Boucher?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-02-2022, 10:41 AM

Took a lot to control myself. But on bass side I did move it quite abit so I’m sure there’s smattering of epoxy around.

Sounds good! Good full bottom with k&k bloat, balanced highs

It’s actually a sunnaudio BL-1 blender, Dazzo 70s and a opentosourcesensor UST. Sunny was so great to put it together.

Still troulbeshooting my installation tho.

Dazzo only- sounds great.

Once I begin to dial in some UST, there’s a hum. When I touch some parts of the blender the hum disappears. A ground issue I reckon.

UST by itself- lacking bass. Probably the pickup not seated properly. Will check again. Sunny mentioned I could try flipping the ust. Not sure what that does in correlation though.

50/50 mix seems to be a tad softer than 100% on either side. Maybe about 5% less, doesn’t really bother me, but could it be a phase issue?

It’s sounding really promising!

My prev main guitar was a k&k/DTAR wavelength so it’s familiar, but a step up.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the Dazzo is such an easy installation to get done right. Just install them per the general locations, and even without moving them around as Teddy does to try to find a better tone, they'll sound good and balanced. That's why I always recommend Dazzo over the Schatten HFN and LR Baggs IBeam which can be finicky to get all strings well-balanced in output, and with good bass in the mix.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-02-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
Once I begin to dial in some UST, there’s a hum. When I touch some parts of the blender the hum disappears. A ground issue I reckon.
A friend had this *exact* issue with an installation of the Open To Source UST. He tried a replacement but got the same result.

His theory was that the shield was prone to getting crimped somehow.

I know that David Emke (OTS) is well-respected and his former company made quality USTs, so take this as a data point only.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-03-2022, 01:36 AM

Sunny said it wasn’t even shielded. Hmmm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification