The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-27-2022, 09:39 PM

Default Do you really even need an amp?

I've been thinking a lot about my electric guitar [primary] rig which is comprised of an elaborate pedalboard that has:
> Pog Nano, MXR Dyna Comp, MXR Distortion, MXR Double Drive, MXR 10 band eq, Ernie Ball VP Jr, Tube Preamp, MXR Carbon Copy, MXR Noisegate, Keeley Caverns v2, MXR Digital Reverb, Electro-Harmonix looper,

>Whirlwind IMP2 DI > FOH PA system

And/or

>Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 amp > Line 6 4x12 cab

The system was designed to plug directly into a PA and sound great. And to my ears it does! And with the recent addition of the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 and the Line 6 cab, it cab be an "amp" too.

Just wondering how many of you don't use "amps" but rather get by with a modeler [i.e. Kemper, Helix] or a multi effects unit [i.e. Zoom, Boss GT100, etc. ] or even a pedal board and DI such as my rig?

On a side, I do happen to own a couple amps [Yamaha THR10II, Yamaha THR 100 HD Dual + matching 2x12 cab, Bugera Infinium V22] but much prefer my pedal board rig.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:05 PM

I have a Fender American Ultra Stratocaster. I run it through my Line 6 HX Stomp and directly into my EV Evolve 30M. I can get pretty much any sound I need from that.

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 07-28-2022, 06:15 AM

Gretsch G5622T-CB (2016)
D'Addario Chromes ECG24 flatwound 11-50 strings (wound G)
Jim Dunlop Nylon .60 pick
Bugera V22 1x12" combo (late-2009 "blue-light")
Preferred Series 12AX7 preamp tubes
Preferred Series 7189 power tubes (USSR-surplus mil-spec)
Eminence Swamp Thang 12" speaker, 8 ohm
LiveWire cable (varying lengths)

No menus, no deep editing, no octopus wiring, no "box dancing" on stage, no planned monthly obsolescence ("Have you heard Version 14.7 yet...?" )...

Ten fingers, two ears, all the tones I need at any volume I'm likely to need...

Plug it in, turn it on, and rock the house...

Cool...
Old 07-28-2022, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Me. Zoom G3 into Boss RC-5 Looper into a Stagepass 60.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:39 AM

Chandler tube driver, Strymon el capistan delay, TC Elect. Stereo chorus into 1964 Fender Deluxe reverb and Carr SuperBee in stereo. I have a Kemper and a Line 6 HX and end up spending all my time turning a button to find a better sound, which I rarely do. Then I find a great sound on the Kemper, 2 days later it sounds different? These units were designed for guitarists who like turning knobs more than pushing or bending strings. I've only had the Kemper for 3 years, maybe it takes another 3 years?
Old 07-28-2022, 08:54 AM

I think it really depends on the application..

IME, for being in a band situation, it's a yes, no, and maybe answer.

For the edgier stuff, with a loud drummer, modelers don't cut it. The result to my ears is a shrill, harsh, antiseptic sound that has no bawls at all.

In that kind of setting, a tube amp in the 40 watt and up rating, will pretty much rule the day.

If the situation is not quite so hostile DB wise, eg: A milder stage volume setting, the modeling amps can be a huge benefit since you have everything you need right there, no pedal boards, no heavy lifting needed.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars