The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-23-2022, 03:01 PM

Default Quickly Learning Songs

I am working on becoming proficient at bluegrass soloing. When I am at a jam, I find when I am listening to someone playing and singing the song, I can put together a solo. As soon as they stop singing, I can no longer follow the song unless it follows a similar format to a song that I know well. For example: Roll on Buddy goes 1,4,1,4,1,5,1 and there are a bunch of songs that are similar enough that I can figure them out. When a song comes up that I don't know and it doesn't follow a familiar format, I can't memorize it or the chord pattern in the minutes it takes before it would be my turn to solo. Are there any tricks to quickly memorizing the key elements of a song to be able to solo over it?
Old 07-23-2022, 08:21 PM

"Nine Pound Hammer" is actually the title of the popular jam tune with "roll on buddy" in the chorus. It's nearly always done in G. There are many great versions to watch and listen to online. I find playing along with others, or lesser extent with a recorded version helps a lot.

But for me it takes a lot of "ear time" - I immerse myself in the genre or songs I'm working on. I make a playlist of the versions of the songs I'm working on and play it on my iPod while driving, washing dishes, working on the car, changing strings, etc.

IMO, it's gotta be in you before it can come out.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:34 PM

Sorry, duplicate post.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:43 PM

Thanks Mandobart. I agree, I have only been able to figure out solos to songs that I know well.

I have seen on several occasions people play solos to songs they are hearing for the first time. I was at a jam and someone was playing a song they wrote and after hearing one verse and a chorus someone was asking to take a solo. This guy was an exceptional player, so I am sure it has a lot to do with many years of experience.

The other Roll on Buddy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af1M...llMonroe-Topic
Old 07-24-2022, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Can you pick the melody to a song on your guitar when you hear it (Carter style)? That may be another start point, rather than the chord sequence.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:31 AM

Robin, I can pick the melody flatpick style as I hear the song and add in some licks and fills. I have not tried any carter style melodies.
Old 07-25-2022, 02:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playguitar View Post
Robin, I can pick the melody flatpick style as I hear the song and add in some licks and fills...
That's just about all I aim to be able to do! When I played dobro in a bluegrass band I was far more "Brother Ozwald" in my approach than fast and flashy. And all my lead breaks on guitar (when singing and playing solo) follow the melody and include strums (Carter style). I don't stray from first position.

I do admire folks who can fast solo around when I play at bluegrass sessions. But I sort of admire those that sing and know hundreds of songs off by heart more. After all, there wouldn't be a bluegrass session without the guy or girl who can kick off and hold a song for the other musicians to work around.

And that's where I am putting my effort at the moment. Into learning the songs so that other folks have something to feed off. I would love to be able to take more flashy lead breaks on guitar but I have sort of been through that with dobro.

It is difficult to put into words but my dobro is bloody useless without a band - so it just sits in its case. And when I picked up the guitar to learn to flat pick, I didn't want to go down the same road. So I am learning to be the "front man". Eventually, I'll put some time into improving my solo breaks. But I think what I'm trying to do now is a tough enough learning curve!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 07-25-2022 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:20 AM

How do you typically learn chord progressions?

If the answer is not by ear, then that would be my first recommendation. If you want to learn chord progressions by ear "on the fly", the best way to improve that skill is to listen to music you don't already know the progression to and practice figuring the progression out by ear. Same applies for the melodies.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:36 PM

Bradeasly, I think you are right. When learning a new song, I usually find a songs chord sheet or fakebook to get started. I then use my ears to figure out the timing and to figure out exactly where the chord changes are.

I probably need to start learning a new song by just listening and not use the chord sheets.
Old 08-30-2022, 03:38 PM

This is a beginner techniques for improv. breaks:

Before you attempt this technique, learn the major scales in the first position for G and for C. From there, you should learn the G and C major pentatonic scales as well as the minor pentatonic scales, also in the first position. Have a rock-solid knowledge of where each occurrence of the root note is within the first four frets.

At the jam, figure out which key the song is being played. Choose the shapes you want to play in and capo up to get your guitar to the key that's being played. For example, as discussed already, you can play in the key of D by capoing on fret two and playing as if the key was C, relative to the capo. Knowing G and C scales, plus using a capo, will facilitate the playing of 99% of folk jam songs.

When you start your break, start on the root note. Then play other notes of the scale. No need to shift scales with the chord progression at this stage. In our example, your break will exist entirely of C major, and/or Cmajor pentatonic, and/or C minor pentatonic. Therefore, you don't need to know the chord pattern. Also, you don't need to play the melody exactly. The whole point of the break is not only to give the singer a break, but also to break the monotony of listening the melody a dozen times. You want to avoid going up and down the scale. Invent some interesting little licks. If you remember the melody or the the lyrics of the song, time your playing to match the lyrics, even though you are not matching the melody. The vital thing to remember is to start on the root note and return to the root note. It might not be a Tony Rice break, but it will do just fine in a jam and it will be a rush for you.

Later, you can spice up your breaks using the exact same technique but occasionally sprinkling in the "bluegrass" notes which are the flatted 3 and the flatted 7.

A good resource for learning and practicing this is Pete Wernick's Bluegrass Jamming series on Homespun.com
https://www.homespun.com/instructors/pete-wernick/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write