The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-24-2022, 02:59 PM

Default I need serious advice, concensus of 2011 Gibson Flood LP's.

I have played guitar during the last 45 years and have discovered the 2011 Nashville Flood Les Paul. I missed out on the event and I have to honestly say the blue swirl pattern on it has caught my eye. I need to know how the industry's outlook would be when guitarists see me playing one. I realize the headstock is partly an issue but to me it seems kind of like the large circle at the Grand Ole Opry commemorating it's damage also. I love the blue swirl pattern but don't want to make a HUGE mistake and be shunned for choosing it.

Any good advice/opinions will really help me.

Thanks a ton!
First Act Acoustic
2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE Pacific Reef
2020 Epiphone Uptown Kat ES RUM
"CHINA" Les Paul Gold Top, w/ Gibson 57's and mods
JDS Mandolin
"C" Harmonica
Marshall MG102CFX
Line 6 Spider V 240HC MKII
w/ LINE 6 4 X 12" Celestion cabinet
CRATE GX-15
Old 07-24-2022, 04:42 PM

I find this post intriguing. Who exactly is it you are concerned will be judging you based on a guitar you are playing? And from what i see, those flood LesPauls go for between one grand and three grand depending on color. Not a cheap buy in for a used guitar. Color me confused…
Old 07-24-2022, 05:00 PM

Default Flood Les Paul....

Its from the reviews on them. I've read where a guy wouldn't give $500 for one. Have read that they are upset that Gibson would have an Anniversary LP when there were 20 something people who died during the flood. Also read that they were upset that zero money from Gibson's sales from these guitars went to the families or to help those misplaced from the flood and it just commemorates the tragedy instead of a celebration. And, the headstock is also swirled with the paint and not like a normal LP headstock looks. There's more negative written about them such as there were only 300 each made of green and blue. I personally want to buy the one I found and love the entire look of it.
First Act Acoustic
JDS Mandolin
"C" Harmonica
Marshall MG102CFX
CRATE GX-15
Old 07-24-2022, 07:31 PM

I have caught myself in the past being way too concerned about the value of my instruments or what others might think when I had such and such a guitar.

I have discovered:

1) I am much happier when I don't think about their potential value,
2) Few people in any audience pay any attention to what I am doing or what I am holding, they only notice if it sounds bad or especially good,
3) I am one of the few who cares about what instrument I am playing.

My advice - if you like it, it speaks to you, and you will play it, then who cares what anyone else thinks?

In the last few days, my eyes have further been opened by being utterly flabbergasted by the Guild D-1212 I took delivery of - I can barely put it down.

I am someone who thinks old instruments in museums are really cool to look at, but then I also get sad, because I think they are meant to be played, not stared at or worshipped. If you will play it, then buy it.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:01 PM

Default I agree very much!

I have not been able to hold, play or hear how it sounds. I have only discovered it online and I am searching to replace my LP and my Taylor acoustic I had to sell due to finances last year. I could order it and respectfully accept how it is. I believe if you like a guitar you are more likely to play it more. I thank you guys for reassuring me I won't be making a huge mistake by purchasing it.
First Act Acoustic
JDS Mandolin
"C" Harmonica
Marshall MG102CFX
CRATE GX-15
Old 07-24-2022, 08:09 PM

Then, make sure where you buy it from has a reasonable return policy. If they don't you are taking a greater chance.

Ask lots and lots of questions. If they don't answer your questions, walk away and keep looking.

If you can't afford it, and you think you might have to resell it quickly if your finances change, then look at something cheaper - perhaps one of the new Epiphones. I think the used guitar market is changing rapidly. I don't think it will totally crash, but it also doesn't seem like things are selling very well. I think the days of being able to count on reselling things pretty quickly/easily are over for the foreseeable future.
Old 07-24-2022, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

I think you should buy what you like and ignore comments from other people. I do think the advice about a reasonable return policy is important in case you don't like the guitar when you get it.

Best of luck to you! And I'm glad you are back on your feet financially -- good for you!

- Glenn
Old 07-25-2022, 11:23 AM

I've never heard of the "Gibson Anniversary Flood Les Paul Studio" so I did some researching (although I am aware of the flood). If I wanted a swirl top I'd buy one. It's unique and it's still a Les Paul.

The guy who said he "wouldn't give $500 for one" is probably not a Gibson fan or is missing the point on why this guitar was created. (read below).

If you like it, buy it.

Here's an excerpt from this site: http://www.guitarsite.com/news/elect...s-Paul-Studio/

"As you probably recall, in May last year Nashville suffered devastating floods, and the Gibson factory was inundated.

But the workers at Gibson didn't give up - they worked hard to restore the factory and rescue and fix as many of the guitars that were in the factory at the time as they could.

<<snippet>>

When the waters finally receded, the factory workers found that the flood had caused paint to be swirled around the factory floor in some rather interesting patterns.

So 'artistic' were these that the Gibson workers preserved the markings on the floor, and perhaps in response to this suggestion on their CEOs forum at 4henry.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/585-new-les-paul-finish, they decided to use these flood markings as the basis for the new finish on the Firebird X."
Old 07-25-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundslikefun View Post
Its from the reviews on them. I've read where a guy wouldn't give $500 for one. Have read that they are upset that Gibson would have an Anniversary LP when there were 20 something people who died during the flood. Also read that they were upset that zero money from Gibson's sales from these guitars went to the families or to help those misplaced from the flood and it just commemorates the tragedy instead of a celebration. And, the headstock is also swirled with the paint and not like a normal LP headstock looks. There's more negative written about them such as there were only 300 each made of green and blue. I personally want to buy the one I found and love the entire look of it.
Lol, I think I'd buy the guitar just because of all this. A guitar who's mere existance has the ability to irritate overly uptight people... I suddenly want one quite badly!
Old 07-25-2022, 12:16 PM

Don't worry about them..

it's your cash, and once plopped down, it's your guitar,...

if you want it, do it.......

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-25-2022, 05:43 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The world's favorite indoor sport: outrage and opinion.

Speaking of opinion, I've got one: The blue one is an interesting guitar. The green one, not so much. If you like it, buy it. Let 'em whine.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-26-2022, 10:46 AM

Default Thanks all!

That's exactly what's about to happen. I should have mine bought this week and I myself will treat it as a special guitar and keep it heavily guarded, lol! I also found a "black swirl" one this morning and was wondering if it was really not part of the 2011 batch, but it shows that it existed from the flood.
First Act Acoustic
JDS Mandolin
"C" Harmonica
Marshall MG102CFX
CRATE GX-15

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars