The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-23-2022, 07:17 PM
spock spock is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 809
Default Any Mac experts - need help

I have Word for Mac on my computer. Under File, instead of "Open Recent" I accidentally hit the "Clear Recent" that showed all of the documents I had been working on for the last few weeks. Is there some way to reverse this? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-24-2022, 02:22 AM
TheGITM TheGITM is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 527
Default

I consulted the great Google. This is the best answer I could find:

go to finder, create a new Smart Folder, with two search criterias:
kind = word document
last opened date is within last XXXX months

This should show you all of the documents you have recently opened.
__________________
1977 Alvarez Yairi DY57
1985 Alvarez 5221 12-string
1994 Alvarez Yairi WY1
1999 Gibson Les Paul Studio w/GK-2A pickup added
2003 Guild D55
2012 Martin 000-28EC
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-24-2022, 08:16 AM
AndreF AndreF is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
I have Word for Mac on my computer. Under File, instead of "Open Recent" I accidentally hit the "Clear Recent" that showed all of the documents I had been working on for the last few weeks. Is there some way to reverse this? Thanks
Do you use Time Machine for back ups?
If so, you could go back a day or two and call up your status before the inadvertent move happened. That's what I would try first.
__________________
Best regards,
Andre
Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-24-2022, 06:27 PM
spock spock is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 809
Default

TheGITM, Thank you for the advice - unfortunately that didn't work. I do appreciate you chiming in though.

Andre, I do have Time Machine and an back-up external hard drive. So, if I go back and restore to a hour or so before my big screw up, would all of the cleared files return as if I had not done anything? I realize, anything I've done after the reset time would be gone, but that is very little.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-24-2022, 07:05 PM
AndreF AndreF is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
Andre, I do have Time Machine and an back-up external hard drive. So, if I go back and restore to a hour or so before my big screw up, would all of the cleared files return as if I had not done anything? I realize, anything I've done after the reset time would be gone, but that is very little.
Try it. Just click on the clock icon on the top bar and select Enter Time Machine.
The little red line at the right should indicate when your last back up was. Call up that date and see if your files appear on that desktop. There is a "Recent" menu item on left that you can click on.
Hope it works for you!
__________________
Best regards,
Andre
Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-25-2022, 08:42 AM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: My mom's basement.
Posts: 7,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
TheGITM, Thank you for the advice - unfortunately that didn't work. I do appreciate you chiming in though.

Andre, I do have Time Machine and an back-up external hard drive. So, if I go back and restore to a hour or so before my big screw up, would all of the cleared files return as if I had not done anything? I realize, anything I've done after the reset time would be gone, but that is very little.
I hesitate to say, but I sync all important files in Google or Microsoft tenants, and can use Time Machine in a way to still get my latest versions of files that way.

If you just know where you keep your files, a safe bet is navigate or path to them and let that recent items list rebuild. You want that basic skill of knowing where your stuff is anyway. You want matters where your Time Machine backup and data mirrored to your cloud tenant can let your computer be gone and you have no problems with a sure and fast setup of a replacement. Your important stuff should be backed up in two different ways and be in two different places.
__________________
ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=