The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-11-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillanderGuitars View Post
Hopefully this doesn't come across as word salad... I get a bit excited about this stuff.
At least it's a taste one

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 12-11-2023, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

My little Everett Petite (his #618) has a removable sound port cover that attaches with an invisible magnet in place. His YouTube demo here... He calls the cover a "feedback buster..."

A very noticeable difference from the player's position with the cover in-place and not... I like it both ways.

Aren't these pieces of playable art cool?

Mark
Old 12-12-2023, 08:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Cool cover, bro. I like the O ring, or perhaps, the one ring to bind them?

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 12-12-2023, 09:29 AM

Very nice design John. Way to go.
Old 12-12-2023, 12:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Cool cover, bro. I like the O ring, or perhaps, the one ring to bind them?
Ha brother you are too clever. I cannot think of a rejoinder in kind so just thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTS View Post
Very nice design John. Way to go.
I certainly do appreciate that NTS
Old 12-12-2023, 12:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
I’m with sinistral. Very stylish indeed

Not going to ask for one myself, as I LOVE Johns soundports wide open for business…

Cheers

Paul
Thank you Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am not sure what kind of measurable difference is noted in that graft, but from the mirroring of the graphs to one another, I would highly doubt I would ever be able to note any difference.

Steve Sheriff of Edwinson guitars was the first I know of that build a sliding door to allow the user to open or close the port. I know he posted about that. Mark Hatcher has also built a very unique sound port with a tunnel to "guide" the sound through the port. He called it his throated sound port. Here is a link to a thread showing a picture: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...hroated&page=4

BTW John, that cover looks very nice indeed and seems like it will be 100% functional.
Thanks Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimoe View Post
Nice work! I’ve though about (some day far in the future) making or commissioning “soundport” plugs for some of my guitars that have 90s-style active electronics—eg Fishman Matrix. Some of those electronics could probably be removed and leave soundport-sized openings that are decently placed enough to be useful, but my dream would be to have something nice on the eyes that I could open or close as I saw fit.

Anyone seen/done one of those conversions?
I appreciate your positive comments

(Note: please assume that if I did something like this it would be a labor of love, so responses like “you could buy another guitar for less” are not useful to me).

Thanks J’aimoe
Old 12-16-2023, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Epilogue

I received the guitar today with the new sound port plug and I've been playing it for the past hour. Not only is the plug quite attractive, it precisely solves my issue.

Thank you, John, for doing this and thank you for finding a clever solution. The guitar sounds magnificent. It feels like you might have also tweaked the setup a bit to make it easier to play, although that might just be the fact that I've been playing other guitars in the meantime. I'm amazed and delighted.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
I received the guitar today with the new sound port plug and I've been playing it for the past hour. Not only is the plug quite attractive, it precisely solves my issue.

Thank you, John, for doing this and thank you for finding a clever solution. The guitar sounds magnificent. It feels like you might have also tweaked the setup a bit to make it easier to play, although that might just be the fact that I've been playing other guitars in the meantime. I'm amazed and delighted.
Thats very good to hear Al. Thanks for the report
Old 12-16-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whitman View Post
Makes me a lot curious as to why he would want to plug the sound port. Regardless your execution of the request looks first rate!
It decreases the bass response, which is better for live gigs and can be, for recording.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop