The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-30-2023, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Seeing this makes me reflect on my experience building our FT-16. What a thrill. Looks like you have another very happy and lucky client Bruce.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Yeah - I am very glad to have made the time to hear that one before it shipped - and I agree, I need to rethink a larger build. Something that a larger body can deliver that a small one just can't quite achieve - close, but not the same -
The hot rod guys always say, “ there’s no substitute for cubic inches.”

It’s been my experience too.

What is it the Wall Street guy say?

“go big, or go home.“

But all Bruce’s guitars sound great. The big ones just sound bigger! Hahaha

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-21-2023, 08:06 AM

Just checking in here...hope all is well Bruce!
Old 08-21-2023, 10:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Just checking in here...hope all is well Bruce!
I’m fine, thank you. One of the main reasons I choose to live in Petaluma is that for 50 weeks year the humidity is perfect for my work, and I have never had to consider the environmental control equipment many builders require. This summer is not the same, however, and I have not thought it wise to brace a plate for over a month, nor do I expect that to change for at least a couple of weeks more. . . Or possibly a month plus.

It’s not like I have nothing else to do. The book project progresses slowly, and I have taken my violin playing off the back burner. I am ALMOST good enough for others to want to play with me (i think) and I am spending a lot of time with Garage Band making guitar tracks and playing fiddle over them.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:45 PM

Glad to know you’re doing well and keeping busy Bruce! There seems to be a lot of that crazy weather going round these days. Glad you’re keeping busy and (it seems) having fun while doing it!
Old 08-24-2023, 01:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Some of you old timers may recall that a few months ago I took 3 guitars down to the PegHead Nation HQ and was interviewed there about them by Teja Gerkin. Teja has been a friend of our community for years, and is worth listening to as well as supporting, IMO.

The first two videos that resulted from that meeting were posted here some time back, and yesterday Teja got around to releasing the final one, featuring my latest BRW JB-16, which I still have here in the shop. I also have a second JB-16, made from Ceylon Satinwood, which is as good (though different) and considerably less expensive.

The New Video.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 08-24-2023 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am surprised no one had anything to say about the PegHead JB-16 video, I thought it quite good for its kind of thing.

After 2 months of Book editing and spending a lot of time using GarageBand as a tool to hone my fiddle playing with others (all me, actually), I am about to get back to lutherie. I might have started earlier, but the last month has been abnormally high in humidity, and I have been waiting for that to reverse. Seems like a more subtle (than Lahaina ) sign of climate change.

I like make something spec after a hiatus just to get in the groove, and in this case that will be an all-Walnut tenor guitar, a sort of glorified baritone Uke tuned in 5ths, in my mind.

Then I will make yet another Schoenberg, this time a single 0 cutaway in Myrtle/EuroSpruce.

Finally, what looks like it will be a JB-15 but is otherwise not yet nailed down. There are still a couple of months to sort out the details, and you’ll likely hear more about it as time passed.

That will get me through the end of the year, I imagine, and more future will have unrolled by the time it is needed.
Old 09-04-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I am surprised no one had anything to say about the PegHead JB-16 video, I thought it quite good for its kind of thing.
I enjoyed watching it, Bruce. (I'm always out here lurking in the Custom Shop shadows, just don't comment much.) The guitars all sound terrific, of course. I also enjoyed a previous Peghead video of the guy playing a cool arrangement of Mercy, Mercy, Mercy...though I can't seem to find the video, so perhaps I dreamt it
Old 09-04-2023, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Yes, enjoyable videos Bruce. Well done. Sounds like you’re going to have a busy fall! Look forward to seeing some progress imagery
Old 09-04-2023, 12:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, fellas. Sometime I have to wonder if the links work; they don't always!
Old 09-04-2023, 02:40 PM

Bruce, I’m glad you posted a comment on the video…we’d been out of town on vacation and I missed the initial post. The JB sounds (and looks) amazing. I really enjoyed Teja and Doug demoing at the end. Looking forward to following your next build!
Old 09-04-2023, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Yes, enjoyable videos Bruce. Well done. Sounds like you’re going to have a busy fall! Look forward to seeing some progress imagery
I agree with Paul. The videos were quite nice! It has been unusually humid here in the mountains east of San Diego all summer. I have needed to put my guitars in their cases with multiple 2 way humidity packs or the action gets high. Plus they start to sound like they have been stuffed full of socks! Hahahah

Glad you are back at it! And I look forward to reading your book eventually too!!!

Be well and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-08-2023, 05:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Despite having made at least 500 stringed instruments in a variety of sub-categories, this will by my first Tenor guitar! My friend John Sanderbeck asked me to do it, and since he has one of my ukulele's, as does his mother in law, not to mention that her son Michael has one of my guitars, I am sure it will be appreciated.

I am using a spruce top that I carelessly made a bit too thin a while back, and sister walnut to the all-walnut guitar you long time denizens may recall; there was only ever one by my hand, though John's uke is also all-walnut, though from another tree, I think.

These pics are as of this morning, though actually I bent the sides a few minutes ago. I used the hot pipe for the bending, and it went surprisingly quickly.

Old 09-09-2023, 07:03 AM

I think it’s so cool that you’re able to repurpose that top Bruce. Also nice to see you back building!
Old 09-10-2023, 06:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Over the week-end I managed to get the back onto the walnut tenor I am making, but those pictures don't exist yet, so here you see the sides hand-bent and ready to trim to length, and then the sides installed to the top using peone ("little bits" en español). Thanks for observing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop