The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-03-2024, 03:41 PM

Default Truss Rod Placement in Relation To Tenon With Bolt on Neck

I've built a few guitars and have always extended the truss rod past the tenon, usually the length of the thickened end of the truss rod style that I use, about 1 1/2", so it also extends past the tenon and under the fret board extension after the fretboard is installed. This placement also leaves the other end of the truss rod a couple inches short of the nut/peghead end of the neck.

My question is, is this the recommended placement of the TR? And why not place the (sound hole) adjustment end of the TR flush with the tenon, which would engage more of the rod in the neck towards the peg head?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHawes View Post
I've built a few guitars and have always extended the truss rod past the tenon, usually the length of the thickened end of the truss rod style that I use, about 1 1/2", so it also extends past the tenon and under the fret board extension after the fretboard is installed. This placement also leaves the other end of the truss rod a couple inches short of the nut/peghead end of the neck.

My question is, is this the recommended placement of the TR? And why not place the (sound hole) adjustment end of the TR flush with the tenon, which would engage more of the rod in the neck towards the peg head?

Thanks
I've only seen and done them flush with the tenon for bolt on necks.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:26 PM

I used to leave them out long like that but now mostly leave them out from the tenon 3/8"-1/2". I like them to go at least partly into the neck block. They are fine like that if you have a long hex truss rod wrench that are fairly cheap on amazon.

If you have a welder, it is easy to shorten 2 way rods to desired length. Just remove some plastic, weld and cut with a hacksaw or cut off wheel. You can re-wrap with electrical tape or shrink wrap.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair