The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-13-2023, 05:45 AM

Default My $400 Squier Strat CV 50

I had given my Mexican Strat with custom-wound pickups to my grandson and I really missed having one.Last year I purchased one of these Indonesian made Squier CV 50 models from from Sweetwater.
While the build itself is not quite perfect, I am still amazed at how good this guitar is. It plays like the proverbial “butter” and has one of the best necks I’ve ever touched.
The pickups are superb and with a medium overdrive pedal, sing through my 1951 Valco National amp.
Every now and again the guitar gods smile.
I’ve owned four other Strats, two American, one Japanese and the Mexican.
This one is better than any of them.

Looks like this guy:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c590--Sol...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-13-2023, 09:31 AM

I completely agree. I've had countless Strats and Tele's over the years and IMO the Squier CV's are as good as any.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 10-17-2023, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

The Squier 40th Anniversary Telecaster is amazing and better than any MIM Tele I have ever played.....I tested a couple a few weeks back and couldn't get over how well they were made and how they sounded....The necks are incredible......the PUPs are more than acceptable and the bridge pickup was not as twangy as they can be in a normal MIM or American Tele.....They were recently $299 at GC before tax......heck of a value - even though the headstock says Squier.......

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo

Last edited by blews; 10-17-2023 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:37 PM

My CV Strat is excellent in every regard!

Rb
Old 10-17-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blews View Post
The Squier 40th Anniversary Telecaster is amazing and better than any MIM Tele I have ever played.....I tested a couple a few weeks back and couldn't get over how well they were made and how they sounded....The necks are incredible......the PUPs are more than acceptable and the bridge pickup was not as twangy as they can be in a normal MIM or American Tele.....They were recently $299 at GC before tax......heck of a value - even though the headstock says Squier.......
Absolutely concur. I have a number of Fender Teles, but the lure of Sherwood Green led me to buy a 40th Anniversary Squier Telecaster Gold Edition, and it knocks me out! Excellent build quality, with anodized pickguard, Fender-Designed single-coil pickups with alnico 5 magnets, gloss finish, bound Indian laurel fingerboard, and tuners that stay in tune. Not a blemish or flaw. Perfect intonation. A sheer delight. And I got mine at an open box price!

(I need to take a better photo)

Old 10-19-2023, 10:49 AM

My Neil Simon CV made in China, is an exceptional Strat. Would prefer a chunky neck but I can forgive it...
Old 10-19-2023, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Absolutely concur. I have a number of Fender Teles, but the lure of Sherwood Green led me to buy a 40th Anniversary Squier Telecaster Gold Edition, and it knocks me out! Excellent build quality, with anodized pickguard, Fender-Designed single-coil pickups with alnico 5 magnets, gloss finish, bound Indian laurel fingerboard, and tuners that stay in tune. Not a blemish or flaw. Perfect intonation. A sheer delight. And I got mine at an open box price!

(I need to take a better photo)

Love the color of yours!

Electrics
Fender / Fender Amps * TMG

Favorite Gin - Citadelle
Favorite Bourbon - Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Favorite Grape - Nebbiolo
Old 10-20-2023, 09:21 AM

Sherwood Green metallic! Always loved that color.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-20-2023, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Squire CV and some of their special editions are fabulous guitars. Even the Affinity series is perfectly fine. I own a few of the 40th anniversary series (Jazzmaster, PBass, Jazz Bass) and they are great. I am considering the thinking Cabronita tele with P90s for sale locally. I played it in the store and had a blast with it.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Squire CV and some of their special editions are fabulous guitars. Even the Affinity series is perfectly fine. I own a few of the 40th anniversary series (Jazzmaster, PBass, Jazz Bass) and they are great. I am considering the thinking Cabronita tele with P90s for sale locally. I played it in the store and had a blast with it.
I would love one of those Cabronita’s, but with two Teles already, I just can’t justify it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-23-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Do they still put the ultra-dinky necks on the Affinities? When I first got into electric guitar a couple years ago the Bullet models seemed to have slim but still adult-sized necks. But in terms of neck thickness, shape and especially string spacing the Affiinities seemed meant for young people.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars