The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-15-2023, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I don’t understand the OP’s question, I really don’t.
Does he want an electric to sound like an acoustic? They are completely different animals and all these technological responses are moot IMHO.
I play a Tele and a Strat and I have never found it difficult to get “clean” tones out of either. Played through a clean amp at low volumes does the trick. In a pinch, I can strum either but I wouldn’t make a habit out of it.
There are times when using arpeggios with a Strat or a Tele as a rhythm technique sound sweet in a band scenario with certain styles of music.
I’m not being contrary here but …strumming an electric and expecting it to sound like an acoustic…Why?
That’s not what they’re designed for.
As far as whether a “better electric” will make the sound clearer goes, better electronics will make for a better sounding guitar, but if you strumming cowboy chords on it, probably won’t be much difference.
As I said, I guess I don’t understand the question.
Definitely not looking for an electric that sounds like an acoustic. Just looking to see if its possible to play open chords in a more articulate fashion on an electric guitar.
Old 10-15-2023, 10:56 AM

As others have noted, technique needs to be clean.

Also, on and electric, typically you'd want light strumming since you don't need to drive the top of an acoustic.

Finally, I'm betting you can get closer with some eq. Try just cutting the mids first. The Katana will do a lot of things with a few tweaks. An electric - especially one with hum buckers - will tend to sound "stuffy" on cowboy chords. Lots more midrange in the mag pickup than in a typical acoustic sound.

iirc the Katana has a acoustic amp mode. You can try that but really just put it in a clean setting, low gain (raise the master), and cut the mids. See if that gets you closer.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 10-15-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhenry41h View Post
Definitely not looking for an electric that sounds like an acoustic. Just looking to see if its possible to play open chords in a more articulate fashion on an electric guitar.
Ok,
I suppose I would have to hear him doing it in person with his equipment.
It still seems like an odd thing to want, but hey, whatever.
Anyway, buy a Deluxe Reverb, keep the volume below 4 and play a vintage low out put Tele Bridge through it with the treble knob turned all the way up

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-15-2023, 03:51 PM

Some high points have already been hit. Many (most) players use differing techniques on electric and acoustic guitars. Lower output pickups often work better for full chords. Heavier electric strings (which are similar to what are labeled light strings for acoustics) can help with strummers. And yes, the amp is a big part of the system with an electric guitar.

One thing I differ from some on: I find I can cross-over techniques from the acoustic and electric guitars. Clean amp setting, maybe a .011 or even .012 high E string set, adjust your pickups lower (down away from the strings) to reduce their output (simple screwdriver adjustment is all that's needed to do that). I can (if it works in the context of the piece) hit the strings like I do on acoustic, voice the chords the same, strum or pick vigorously. For rhythmic accents muting is key, but that's true on acoustic too.

Here's another simple thing you can do: capo your electric and using your cowboy chords. You'll get more "nut" width and the brighter sound may be what you're aiming for.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-15-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
...One thing I differ from some on: I find I can cross-over techniques from the acoustic and electric guitars. Clean amp setting, maybe a .011 or even .012 high E string set, adjust your pickups lower (down away from the strings) to reduce their output (simple screwdriver adjustment is all that's needed to do that). I can (if it works in the context of the piece) hit the strings like I do on acoustic, voice the chords the same, strum or pick vigorously. For rhythmic accents muting is key, but that's true on acoustic too...
That's an old NYC "Key Club" (our hometown answer to the Funk Brothers and Wrecking Crew) studio players' trick - been around at least since the early-60's (see Post #15), but no less effective or valid today...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars