The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2019, 06:22 AM

Default Recommendations for projecting strings for fingerstyle

As per title, looking for tips and advice on brands and types of strings which help a larger size guitar remain focused, loud and projecting for finger style (as opposed to diluted and suffocated by the big, reverberating and booming bass).
Thanks in advance
Old 03-26-2019, 07:09 AM

Everyone's desires, expectations and guitars are different. There are about 6 major strings that will all be offered as suggestions so you'll still be left with the same dilemma - buy 5 or 6 different sets of strings and try them all until you find the strings that work best, for you, on each guitar you have. Keep good notes about what you like and don't from each string set and use the ones you like best. There's no other way to get what YOU want from your guitar.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:13 AM

I only play fingerstyle. The best strings are Thomastik Infeld, Plectrum or Spectrum series. The Plectrums have lighter tension. I sought the same thing you did and found them with Thomastik Infeld. I use nothing else.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:31 AM

If you're seeking something completely different, and you like light gauge, you might try a set of gypsy jazz strings like the Savarez Argentine. They are so different I recommend listening to a few performances on YouTube or some other source before you buy.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
I only play fingerstyle. The best strings are Thomastik Infeld, Plectrum or Spectrum series. The Plectrums have lighter tension. I sought the same thing you did and found them with Thomastik Infeld. I use nothing else.
Thank you. These seem to come top on many people's lists. Did you choose Spectrum or Plectrum for you and which gauge? Are they also good for strumming?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Everyone's desires, expectations and guitars are different. There are about 6 major strings that will all be offered as suggestions so you'll still be left with the same dilemma - buy 5 or 6 different sets of strings and try them all until you find the strings that work best, for you, on each guitar you have.
You're absolutely right but first I need to narrow down. I mean each manufacturer will have 3-4 set types which would qualify and then there are the different gauges too...

I am already starting to narrow down by virtue of having tried a few and not liked them much.

Upon reading reviews and watching clips online, my shortlist includes:

- Elixir HD Light 80/20 (to accentuate the heights)
- Thomastik Infeld (Spectrum or Plectrum - still scoping which would fit better)
- D'Addario Nickel Bronze
- John Pearse PB

My guitar is a Taylor Grand Symphony - quite open (diluting) sounding, so really looking for something a bit more focused to aid note separation when finger picking.
I know a smaller body guitar will help too in this regard, but just searching which would suit this Taylor.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:19 AM

Someone else's "best strings" may not be the best for you. This is totally subjective. Try some and see. That's it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-26-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Arm View Post
You're absolutely right but first I need to narrow down.
The question of which strings are best is much too subjective to rely on the opinions of others. If you rely on other people to make that determination, you may miss out on the set that works best for YOU. Strings are cheap. Resist the herd mentality and keep trying new sets until you find what works best for you.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-26-2019, 09:31 AM

The only strings I have a marked preference for are Newtones. And they are getting had as all get out to find in the States. Other than that I have little string loyalty. At the moment I am using SIT Royal Bronze strings. A big advantage to them is as they made locally I can find a very wide selection pretty much everywhere.

While strings can nuance the voice of a guitar every guitar will still have a voice that is characteristic of what ever moniker adorns the headstock. I play a 1942 Gibson J-50 which has a somewhat uncharacteristic low end that is so deep it would make a pre-War Martin D-28 Herringbone run for cover. I have never found any string that changes that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion