The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-08-2018, 01:44 AM

The Jamaican restaurant that’s a block away from me. Slow, horrible service. I’m there at least once a week. Hahahaha!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

When I was young and naive I had a job selling meat to businesses in Los Angeles. In an effort to increase business I made a cold call on a meat shop. When I walked in I saw meat market equipment with no meat or evidence there had ever been meat there. Behind the counter sat three seedy guys that looked at me like I was an idiot. I got out of there as fast as I could.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-08-2018, 02:12 PM

Interestingly about half the businesses mentioned are high-profit businesses. Hard-working small businesses need everyone's support for survival. Luckily some of the small businesses around me stay in business by providing a great environment with personalized service to those who will take a minute to back away from the Amazon shopping cart.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Interestingly about half the businesses mentioned are high-profit businesses. Hard-working small businesses need everyone's support for survival. Luckily some of the small businesses around me stay in business by providing a great environment with personalized service to those who will take a minute to back away from the Amazon shopping cart.
I am "semi retired" meaning I still work part time on weekends. I work Saturday and Sunday afternoons at a tiny four pump family owned independent gas station. I will actually pump your gas! We also sell cigarettes, soft drinks, snacks and automotive stuff. The place is literally a barely insulated shack. We are open seven days a week 12-15hrs a day 365 days of the year.

I love it! The owners are very nice and they let me and the other three guys that work there run the place and make our own hours. They also own a restaurant that takes up all their time. Basically as long as there is a warm body there to do the job they are happy. The best part is I work alone and get paid cash.

We have a lot of regular customers since we are located in the middle of a very old and well established area of the city. It's a ten minute walk from my place. It truly is one of those "how are you still open" type of businesses. Right now it's busy due to great weather but in the winter on a weekend I mostly sit and watch YouTube videos while waiting for the odd customer. From what I understand in 3-4 years the owners plan to sell the property to a developer and condos are going to be built there.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras1500 View Post
When I go to a mall, which is not very often, I see several jewelry stores with nobody in them. They can't possibly make all their money just on Valentines day and Christmas. Mall rent must be fairly high. I can't understand how they manage to stay open.
I used to work in the jewelry business. The minimum markup is 300%

Just sayin'
PJ
Old 06-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I used to work in the jewelry business. The minimum markup is 300%

Just sayin'
PJ
Reminds me of a sale of a new 1987 Honda Prelude I was trying to make with a guy that was buying it for his daughter.

He kept throwing out offers that were well below cost. I finally laid it all on the line and showed him how the sticker price was barely 20% over invoice. He still refused to believe it. I said, "We're not jewelers...we're not talking outrageous markups here."

I never guessed he was a jeweler himself.... but needless to say, I didn't sell the car.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 06-13-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
Reminds me of a sale of a new 1987 Honda Prelude I was trying to make with a guy that was buying it for his daughter.

He kept throwing out offers that were well below cost. I finally laid it all on the line and showed him how the sticker price was barely 20% over invoice. He still refused to believe it. I said, "We're not jewelers...we're not talking outrageous markups here."
Yup, car dealers make a lot more money with their used inventory from what I understand.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:59 AM

As to new car sales - everyone knows that there is a monthly 'kickback' froom the manufacturers to the dealers.

Back to the original subject... For every 'how are they still open?' place I have seen 5-10 empty storefronts - in everything from small towns to medium- large ones from Florida to Canada.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-13-2018, 07:05 AM

One of the quirky things I watch on YouTube is about dead malls. The thing I find fascinating (for some weird reason...don't ask) is that in just about all of these, there's either a Subway and/or a GNC still open in just about all of them until they completely shut the building down. It's always so weird looking and a little unsettling for some reason. You have this huge vacant mall with two stores and a Subway. So weird.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:15 PM

There is a mall near me that has maybe 4 stores left and one of them sells Native American wares. Dream catchers, head dresses and velvet art. Been there for decades. Never seen anymore than 1-2 people in there if any.

Mattress and vitamin stores same thing. Only one employee car in the lot.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-16-2018 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Removed reference.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:26 AM

They've opened a Huge Goodwill Store in town and seems they're doing a Jumpin Business, place is always Jam Packed and is HUGE . I've donated 100s of CDs and old VHS Tapes there with many other stuff, No I dont bother with write offs or receipts ...
Old 06-18-2018, 05:36 AM

There is a restaurant called "Wiener King" in a town nearby that my wife and I drive past on our way to a pizza joint we like. All they sell is hot dogs, soda and fries. This is a fairly large building.

It has been there for at least five decades, maybe longer. We drive by it all the time and there is rarely a car in the parking lot.
I went in there once to buy a couple of sodas and there was a very elderly couple running the place.There were a couple of "questionable looking" gentlemen in a booth off to the side and they weren't eating any wieners.
My guess is some form of illegal activities are going on here with a kickback to Ma and Pa. Even my wife agrees it looks a little suspicious to her and she's not usually that cynical.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Radio Shack.... I always figured them to be a front for something...

Last edited by dbintegrity; 06-18-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
Radio Shack.... I always figured them to be a front for something...
I really miss that store. It saved my hide more than once whenever I was gigging out in BFE without a music store in sight and I needed something.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic