The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-29-2018, 11:54 AM

Congrats! Every time I pick up my “cheap” Gretsch I am incredibly impressed. It doesn’t sound like anything else. I can’t imagine what a high end one would play and sound like.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 07-29-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
Congrats! Every time I pick up my “cheap” Gretsch I am incredibly impressed...I can’t imagine what a high end one would play and sound like.
Far closer than you think, Mich; the Falcon was the fulfillment of a 55-year dream for me, but I've got a 2016 5622T-CB double-cut semi (3 Super Hi-Lo'trons/cats'-eye soundholes like the rare 6117 thin-body from 1964-66) that's every bit its equal in tone (different - think variations in the Gibson humbucker formula or older vs. newer Fender pickups - but in no way "better") and playability (one of only three guitars I've owned in 55+ years - the others being the Falcon and a Godin CW II that's my go-to blues/jazz box - that needed no setup whatsoever), and a near-equal in QC (by the absolute closest of margins; a couple subtleties of detail that the Falcon does ever-so-slightly better, but still head-shoulders-&-navel above any semi within $1500 of the original street price, from any manufacturer - I've done the A/B comparisons, so I don't say this lightly). Truth be told, our band had gone to Sam Ash on a shopping trip back in June, and I came within a hairsbreadth of buying a white 5422TG ($899 street) - as I said I wanted a double-cut White Falcon since I saw my first one in the '63 Gretsch catalog as a kid, I was/am happier than a pig in poop with my 5622, and I was going to buy the 5422 and "Falconize" it with a couple hundred dollars' worth of aftermarket parts (pickguard, PAF Filter'tron pickup covers, "Cadillac" tailpiece, jeweled knobs, gold-sparkle trussrod cover); things sometimes happen for a reason, though - when I located a NOS '62 White Falcon RI (they were discontinued about five years ago) for a decent price a couple days later, I decided to take the plunge. FYI I've seen a couple local Beatles tribute bands using the walnut/gold 5422 as their "George" guitar - crank it through a Vox AC30 and you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference from the '62 Gent RI at three times the price...
Old 07-30-2018, 12:16 PM

Gorgeous guitar! I never got around to owning one of these, but was always impressed with the pickups...big, bright, room-filling tone! I also like the thumb-nail position markers on these and just the overall vibe, cosmetically speaking.

As to intonation, is this one that the bridge sits on the top, held in place by the strings? I'm guessing that would be the only way to set intonation, by moving the bridge position in relation to the points on the f-holes...yes? Very tricky, very old-school, but that's part of the mojo.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
...As to intonation, is this one that the bridge sits on the top, held in place by the strings? I'm guessing that would be the only way to set intonation, by moving the bridge position in relation to the points on the f-holes...yes? Very tricky, very old-school, but that's part of the mojo.
This one's a floater as you say, Max, just like they made them back in Brooklyn during the '50s-60s - difference is they've done some tweaking on the traditional Space Control design, which was notorious for its inability to intonate correctly (I replaced the original on my '64 Double Annie with a wooden-base TOM back in the '70s for just that reason). The updated version uses staggered-size string wheels that allow for proper tuning within a given range of string gauges; stick to 11's or 12's (preferably flatwounds) with a wound G - the way they were originally produced and shipped in the day - and you should be OK (FYI Gretsch marketed the former as "Chet Atkins Country Style" - standard issue on the Tennesseean/Nashville/Country Gent). In my case, a very minor movement gave me near-perfect intonation with my Snark - BTW, not as tricky as you think - and while not strobe-tuner accurate, more than acceptable for an unmodified guitar of this type...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars