The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-11-2019, 07:42 AM

Default Çompare Nylon Guitars

Hi,
I would like your “sage wisdom”. I am in the market if a hybrid nylon string guitar and don’t have or am not willing to spend big bucks. Any comparisons between the Taylor Academy 12n and the Cordoba Fusion 12? Give me your thoughts.

RC
2018 - Taylor 312ce
2020 - Taylor Academy 12n

Trumpets
1975 Bach Stradivarius
1972 Selmer Radial ll
Old 09-12-2019, 01:09 AM

Default Some thoughts...

Taylor make great steel-string instrument’s but the nylon-string instruments of theirs I’ve played all seemed to be lacking, even in comparison to inexpensive classical guitars. They feel over-built but playability is lovely.

I have very limited knowledge of the Córdoba models but people seem to rate them highly. Also worth looking at Yamaha’s offerings.

Crossover instruments can sound fantastic. I’m lucky enough have one of Lowden’s ‘Jazz’ guitars and it’s both easy to play and has a full and warm sound.

I also play a little classical guitar and providing you adapt your playing style for the wider, flatter fingerboard it’s not so difficult to play traditional classical instruments. You then have a lot more choice of good guitars at a reasonable price. From your signature you appear to play bass guitar as well. For me at least that’s a much bigger shift from steel-string than a classical guitar would be.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

I have no basis for a comparison, but I do have a Cordoba Fusion 12 (Maple) that is a very nice guitar, and the built in electronics are reasonably good. $700 at GC IIRC.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:22 AM

I am not a huge fan of Taylor’s nylon string offerings. They make fantastic steel string guitars but like the other gentleman, my limited exposure to their nylon string models ha not impressed me. I owned a Yamaha NTX700 for a while and plugged in, it was a very nice sounding guitar. It was overbuilt and thin bodied, so acoustically it left something to be desired. The few Cordoba crossovers I have played seem to me to be a very well done compromise between good acoustic tone and dynamics, and plugged in performance. If you’re planning on playing more acoustically, my leanings would be toward the Cordoba. Plugged in, I might give a slight edge to the Yamaha. For me personally, I think it is hard to find better value in moderately priced nylon crossovers guitars than Cordoba’s fusion models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical