The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-11-2019, 02:42 AM

Default Cordoba c9 intonation issues

Hello, this is my first foray into classical guitar so please bear with me. I know a couple of pieces that I play on steel string and while trying them out on my new cordoba c9 the intonation is unbearable. The first piece I was playing has a chord that utilizes several notes on the 10th and 12th frets with an open b and it sounded incredibly bad. It's a new guitar so I'm thinking of sending it back, but before I do, what is acceptable intonation on a classical guitar of this price point? The G string is pretty bad, which from what I understand is pretty normal and can be solved by compensating the saddle. However, the A is pretty awful as well and it's significantly flat (5-6 cents?) on the higher frets. I don't really want to change the strings unless I have to as there's a possibility I'm going to send it back. That being said, could strings really make it that bad?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmondWafers View Post
I don't really want to change the strings unless I have to as there's a possibility I'm going to send it back. That being said, could strings really make it that bad?
Yes. If those are the strings it came with the first thing I would do is put a new set on. Once they have settled reasonably well @ pitch (and this will take a couple of days, nylon is far less stable than steel) try again.

Note if the action is very high this will affect intonation also.

The thick third string is often problematic but you might find swapping it out for a carbon or 'titanium' one solves the problem. These are thinner, higher tension and brighter. The D'addario composite set has an interesting coffee coloured third which works really well on some guitars too (the basses are brighter also).

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 AM

I just bought a C9 as well and had the same issue out the box. Before the strings could even settle though, the D string snapped (by itself, overnight). I popped on a set of Savarez 500AJ with carbon trebles last night. They're still settling in but the intonation is pretty good now. I don't know if the intonation would have improved with the original Savarez strings once they'd settled in but I think it might well have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical