The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-30-2007, 08:23 AM
Kindness Kindness is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,138
Default Rainsong Guitars

Just curious what everyone thinks of this carbon fiber guitar:

http://www.rainsong.com

Now I owned a carbon fiber clarinet. As I am in outside sales, it was great, because I didn't have to worry at all about weather, and could keep it in the car on the day of my lessons. It has had an incredible sound.

Curious if anyone owns a rainsong...one thing lost for sure is the beauty of wood, no doubt, and something tells me that with a guitar, there simply has to be some loss in rich sound.

Lisa
A&L Cedar GT
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2007, 08:40 AM
astrummer's Avatar
astrummer astrummer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Holland MI
Posts: 2,482
Default

Not sure which you would prefer ( wood prefer?) but I think that if you get the chance try a Composite Acoustics guitar which is also carbon fiber. I have had a chance to A/B them against some Rainsongs at Elderly instruments several times and I prefer the Composite Acoustics sound ( You might prefer the Rainsong tone ). I am seriously considering purchasing this one....

http://elderly.com//new_instruments/items/PSGX.htm

here is a link to the CA website...

http://compositeacoustics.com/
__________________
A Strummer

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2007, 09:18 AM
MJH MJH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Edwardsville, IL
Posts: 1,993
Default

I own a Rainsong WS 1000 and love it. To my ears, there is no loss of richness. It doesn't sound like wood, but has it's own very rich, high quality sound. I have no problem playing it in any situation where a high quality guitar is needed.

I know there is a lot of love on this forum for the CA's and I understand. A very nice sounding quality guitar. I did get a chance to A/B the CA vs. the Rainsong and really preferred the Rainsong. That's just me. People talk about it sounding more like a wood guitar. That maybe true, but that also maybe the reason I went with a Rainsong. I loved the different sound it has. It really is crystal clear and rings like a bell.

Good luck with your search and decision.
__________________
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 AM
marioed marioed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 318
Default

The big advantage with carbon fiber guitars is that they are relatively impervious to weather. They don't need to be humidified and can wthstand both higher and lower temperatures than wood guitars. I still would'nt leave one in a parked car all day when it's hot. The disadvantage from my perspective is that they do not "open up", they will pretty much always sound the same as they do when you buy one. For me they also lack the esthetic or warmth of a wood guitar. I have an Emerald carbon fiber that I use as my travel guitar when it's too hot or cold for wood and it's great for that purpose, but when I can I always choose one of my wood guitars to play. If I could only have one guitar I'd go with solid wood.
I've played both Rainsong's and CA's and prefer the tone of the CA's but thought the Rainsong's were pretty good. Between the two it would be a matter of personal choice as both are very well made. I ended up with an Emerald because it sounded good had an adjustable truss rod and was significantly less expensive than a Rainsong or CA. Unfortunately Emerald closed their factory, so they are no longer available.
Regards,
Ed
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2007, 10:19 AM
stoney stoney is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Essex Junction, VT
Posts: 380
Default

Just a note on leaving a CA guitar in a hot car all day; no problem. They really are not adversely affected by the heat. I made the mistake one day of leaving my CA out in the midday sun, face up in the open case, for a few hours while I was playing dobro at a jam. When I went to pick up the guitar it was literally too hot to touch. That black top really soaked up the solar energy! I just put the guitar in the shade for a bit and all was well. It was even in tune! Of course, I don't recommend this, but if I ever need a solar-powered barbeque grill...

I leave mine in the car, in the case, for long weekends at the bluegrass festivals. The dobro, however, needs a climate case, as it is wooden.

Have fun, and Happy New Year!

Stoney
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2007, 12:16 PM
gtr4me gtr4me is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 637
Default

The only Rainsong I played was a WS1000 and I thought it was quite unique in a very good way. It was shimmering, not brittle, loud - very loud, and did well as both finger picking and flat picking. I have always wondered if all WS1000's were as good as that one. If they are, I would not hesitate to own and play one. It seemed like a high quality instrument in its own right and not a back seat to any wooden guitar. Just different. I have never played a CA.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Kindness Kindness is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,138
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrummer View Post
Not sure which you would prefer ( wood prefer?) but I think that if you get the chance try a Composite Acoustics guitar which is also carbon fiber. I have had a chance to A/B them against some Rainsongs at Elderly instruments several times and I prefer the Composite Acoustics sound ( You might prefer the Rainsong tone ). I am seriously considering purchasing this one....

http://elderly.com//new_instruments/items/PSGX.htm

here is a link to the CA website...

http://compositeacoustics.com/
I went to the CA Website...really cool. Question though: 20 fret guitar, what is up with that? It doesn't look like they offer a 1 11/16th nut, but there is a shop here in Scottsdale that I will check out tomorrow. As I am on the road with my job, the CA might just be my perfect travel guitar. But I will have to have a handmade wood at home too....they are so beautiful!

Lisa
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 PM
ljguitar's Avatar
ljguitar ljguitar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: wyoming
Posts: 38,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
Just curious what everyone thinks of this carbon fiber guitar:
Hi Lisa...
I have played several brands of carbon fiber guitars. They don't do it for me...I'm a wood-n-steel kind of player.

If I were to choose to live in an uber-humidity-rich environment, like a rain forest, or needed a bullet-proof road guitar to play through an amp or PA, I'd own one.
__________________
Larry J

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-30-2007, 07:32 PM
flip33 flip33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 187
Default

The CA guitars sound pretty. The one I played felt good too. It was very loud, balanced, and warm.

Finally::

They have stainless steel frets! Very durable. Think about it. Do you have some guitars with worn frets? I do, and I'm kinda disgusted by that.

Hmmm... rekindled GAS occurring right now.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
vti814ce vti814ce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Visalia,ca.
Posts: 4,069
Default

I have played one CA guitar and it was the exact same one on the Rainsong link in the first post. I cant say anything bad about the CA Rainsong. It was clear as a bell, very bright, nice neck shape, but it doesnt sound like wood at all to me, (I guess becasue they aren't ). I dont think I would be interested in owning one, not because they arent well made, but because to me, an acoustic should be made of wood! (In some cases Laminate B/S is ok too )

Sammy
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-31-2007, 07:03 AM
astrummer's Avatar
astrummer astrummer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Holland MI
Posts: 2,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
. Question though: 20 fret guitar, what is up with that? .....
Lisa
Its 14 frets to the body which is fairly common for any acoustic guitar. The 20 frets is the total number including those on the neck but over the body. The way that the neck is molded to the body has no "heel" and the upper frets are more accessible than with a standard cutaway acoustic.
__________________
A Strummer

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-31-2007, 07:20 AM
brahmz118 brahmz118 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 141
Default

I own a RainSong jumbo, and my opinion has always been that it sounds better than any wood guitar I've ever played. It sounds fully opened up, loud, responsive and clear. Whenever I play wooden (flat-top) guitars nowadays they sound muddy and dampened to my ear. To an extent I do think I've been conditioned to feel this way, since the RainSong is my primary guitar (due to its relative imperviousness to humidity and temperature changes).

But I can understand it's not for everyone. It's sort of like replacing a human arm with a bionic arm. The carbon fiber allows for an ultra-thin unbraced top that's not possible with wood. RainSong's engineers probably see wood's relative muddiness as a weakness, whereas most traditionalists may see it as warmth and tonal character.

I've tried one of RainSong's new Advanced Series guitars, and was somewhat disappointed. These are a lower-cost alternative to their Classic Series, but the quality seems to be compromised as well. They are heavier and quieter. I wish more Classic Series jumbos and dreads were available for people to try before forming opinions about the entire brand.

I tried a CA GX Performer recently, and I liked it a lot. Not as loud or clear as my jumbo, though better than the Advanced Series in terms of projection. And the tone is very nice. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably go with a CA dread (until they make a jumbo) -- the stainless steel frets are a great option for an otherwise indestructible guitar.

Lastly I would like to agree with marioed -- I wouldn't leave a CA or RainSong guitar in a hot car for an extended period of time, primarily because of glue issues. I do own two Emerald composite guitars, and I think they are a little more resistant to high temperatures because the bodies are all one piece -- no glue to worry about.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-31-2007, 01:29 PM
TonyC TonyC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: rocky mountains
Posts: 527
Default

I got a used Rainsong JM1000 this fall, and couldn't be happier. I'd been looking at both the CA's and Rainsongs, but when this one came along (at a very good price), I jumped and bought it. The resonance is magnificent, and I'm finding I prefer the "attack" I get from the undersaddle pickup (as opposed to the tone from the ES on my Taylor). The upside- no heat/cold issues, and no humidification issues either. I've taken it twice on planes, and simply checked it as baggage- and while that made me a little nervous, no problems have occured... and if they broke it, or lost it, well, the tone is standardized- every Rainsong JM1000 should sound the same-
__________________
TonyC

Taylor GS limited
Rainsong JM1000
Taylor NS24CE
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-31-2007, 02:48 PM
vti814ce vti814ce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Visalia,ca.
Posts: 4,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmz118 View Post
I own a RainSong jumbo, and my opinion has always been that it sounds better than any wood guitar I've ever played. It sounds fully opened up, loud, responsive and clear. Whenever I play wooden (flat-top) guitars nowadays they sound muddy and dampened to my ear. To an extent I do think I've been conditioned to feel this way, since the RainSong is my primary guitar (due to its relative imperviousness to humidity and temperature changes).

But I can understand it's not for everyone. It's sort of like replacing a human arm with a bionic arm. The carbon fiber allows for an ultra-thin unbraced top that's not possible with wood. RainSong's engineers probably see wood's relative muddiness as a weakness, whereas most traditionalists may see it as warmth and tonal character.

I've tried one of RainSong's new Advanced Series guitars, and was somewhat disappointed. These are a lower-cost alternative to their Classic Series, but the quality seems to be compromised as well. They are heavier and quieter. I wish more Classic Series jumbos and dreads were available for people to try before forming opinions about the entire brand.

I tried a CA GX Performer recently, and I liked it a lot. Not as loud or clear as my jumbo, though better than the Advanced Series in terms of projection. And the tone is very nice. If I had to do it all over again I'd probably go with a CA dread (until they make a jumbo) -- the stainless steel frets are a great option for an otherwise indestructible guitar.

Lastly I would like to agree with marioed -- I wouldn't leave a CA or RainSong guitar in a hot car for an extended period of time, primarily because of glue issues. I do own two Emerald composite guitars, and I think they are a little more resistant to high temperatures because the bodies are all one piece -- no glue to worry about.
Hey brahmz,
Welcome to the forum! There's alot of Composite Acoustic fans around here, you will fit in fine!Since your used to a jumbo I can see why you would feel almost anything else lacks clearity and the crispness that the stiffer composite's would have in large doses! That Rainsong i played was very clear and very nice, they have all the highs and to me a little bit "tighter" or more focused mid range and a clear direct bass that wasnt as warm (insert your term here ). I dont think the warm overtones that come from woods are nearly as pleasing in a Composite. To me the tones on a nice wood acoustic sounds more musical, natural maybe.It truly is a personal preference and a matter of what someone is used to hearing because those composite's ive heard all sound REALLY nice, a little different , not worse , just something nice and different. I bet a Jumbo is awsome!

Welcome to the AGF!

Sammy
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-31-2007, 03:26 PM
exhaust_49 exhaust_49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 419
Default

To me any composite guitar just sounds too perfect. Every guitar (of the same model) sounds the same and the guitar will sound as good as it gonna get the day you buy it. It won't open up like a wood guitar.
__________________
2002 Simon & Patrick Pro Flame Maple
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=