The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-09-2019, 10:53 PM

Default Looking for Nylon Acoustic / Electric for Live Performance

Hey everyone, first post here.

I'm mostly an electric player but have a project coming up where I will need a nylon string guitar specifically for live performance. It will not be mic'd and the stage volume might be loud so I think that's important to know.

Looking at the Godin MultiAc Grand Concert Duet, the Yamaha SLG200n and possibly the Cordoba GK Pro model. I'm worried about the Cordoba (or any full size body guitar) due to the potential feedback issues at performance volumes.

Also in the running might be a used Chet Atkins CE or maybe a used Rick Turner RN6. Any suggestions on these guitars?

I need to have the ability to send a great nylon sound to the FOH. It does not have to have a great acoustic sound.

Any suggestions on these or any other models? My budget is most likely under $2k.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Welcome on, looking forward to your future posts.

I have the Yamaha NTX1200R that "Rodrigo" uses in this performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2ixprDrK8

It's made to be plugged in, never feeds back unless I put it inches from an amp at high volume. Great onboard preamp. Body is not as wide as standard classical guitars. I had to replace the nut to take advantage of the full width of the fretboard. Highly recommend this guitar.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:15 PM

I play two nylon Taylors live. I’ve had both cranked way up and there has never been any feedback issue from the ES-N pickups. I would check out a few Taylors. Several models new in your price range and even more If you buy used
Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 AM

Can't go wrong with the Godin!
1966 Martin D-35
1972 Fender Telecaster
1976 Ryoji Matsuoka Classical No. 40
1975 Mitsuru Tamura, Model No. 1000
2013 Taylor 814c-N
1994 Heritage 576
2004 Heritage 575 Custom
2014 Godin Multiac Nylon Encore
2008 Larrivee D-03
2009 Takamine TC135Sc
YouTube
Old 08-12-2019, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it. Going to go to a few stores here in town to see and play some. Sounds like I might be too worried about feedback.

Thanks! I'll keep you updated and will continue to ask questions.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringman5 View Post
Can't go wrong with the Godin!

I love my Godin. Full classical nut width with synth access. I use a Roland synth.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:00 PM

Default Nylon Acoustic

Hi Carl

I bought recently an Almansa 435 Cutaway Conservatory Guitar and love it. Well worth it. Here is a review I found on it https://www.doremistudios.com.au/alm...guitar-review/
All the best!
Old 09-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

The GK Pro far outclasses the other two for tone, but since volume might be an issue, it would be hard to beat the Godin or Yamaha Silent. You could put a rubber soundhole plug in the Cordoba though. I've gigged my GK Pros extensively, but it's usually been solo, so stage volume was never bad enough for me to have to plug them. The electronics on the Cordoba do an excellent job of squashing feedback though.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:09 PM

I have both the Godin Duet Ambiance as well as the Yamaha Silent nylon. The Godin sounds great and is in a whole other league from the Yamaha Silent; the Silent isn’t really gig-worthy IMO. The Godin can really cut thru a mix and can be played at very high volume without feedback! I would not recommend a full-bodied nylon in a loud band set up.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:58 PM

The Rick Turner RN6 is awesome! I've been gigging my steel string versions for a few years now. No more worries about feedback and they sound great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical