The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-03-2024, 08:16 PM

Default Recording technology baffles me

I’m really feeling my age. Trying to record some simple backing tracks and so far I’ve spent hours trying to figure out my RC-3 and also my iRig into GarageBand. For some reason it just doesn’t stick.

I’ll follow a YouTube tutorial but there is so much info I tend to forget what I learned 5 minutes ago.

In the end I spend more time trying to figure things out than actually playing.

Question - Has anyone experienced this. And did you find a simple solution. These technologies have so many features that I don’t really need and the instruction gets so deep into them I think I get lost.
Epiphone Dot
Old 03-03-2024, 09:11 PM
Get off my lawn kid

One of the things I noticed about recording using a computer is that the DAW wants you to "arm" the track prior to recording. Once you record what you want to, save it right away. Keep it simple at first, just get something on the hard drive that you can reload and listen to again.

I record with a Zoom F3 stand alone recorder then upload the files to my pc for editing so I avoid the "ARM" step. I just hit record and I'm good.

But yeah, it's another time consuming project on top of playing guitar.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-03-2024, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

That’s a tough one. Figuring this stuff out takes time and mistakes. On my journey I took a six-week MOOC (remember those?) about ten years ago that involved maybe 50 videos, which I transcribed word for word and read over and over until the ideas made sense one by one.

I’m still near the bottom of the learning curve, but with enough context (and gear) to get clean tracks down and mixed well enough for an amateur.

The biggest driver of my satisfaction with recording is my expectations— they’re appropriately modest.

One step at a time.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-04-2024, 05:28 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
One of the things I noticed about recording using a computer is that the DAW wants you to "arm" the track prior to recording.
I am possibly no help to anyone on this thread because I've been recording since I was eight, fifty-eight years ago. However... I can help you understand the interface.

When designers we putting together the first computer recording systems they felt that they were no longer bound by the forms of previous recording systems, and that they could improve productivity with a different interface. In the first generation, each came up with his own interface and the results were some really weird first generation interfaces. Eventually, most came to the realization that the previous generations had spent decades optimizing their machine's interface and that maybe they had an idea of what was needed after all. DAWs combine the mixer and the multitrack into one system. Designers haven't created "skeuomorphs" (exact graphical representations) of multitrack interfaces but have integrated their features into DAW interfaces.

For example:

This is the remote control of a Sony APR24 analog twenty-four track tape recorder. One of these recorders sits in my machine room and the remote is in my control room. Do you see the horizontal row of orange buttons with the LEDs lighted at the top? Those are the "track arming selectors." You choose whatever tracks you want to go into record with the orange button. When you roll tape and hit the red "REC" button, only those that are armed will actually go into record and the red LEDs above the orange buttons will light. This one is armed on all twenty-four tracks, as it might be in a whole-band record session. In an overdub situation, only a few or just one will be armed and the rest will be playing back.

That's where it came from!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-04-2024, 06:06 AM

Quote:
One of the things I noticed about recording using a computer is that the DAW wants you to "arm" the track prior to recording. Once you record what you want to, save it right away. Keep it simple at first, just get something on the hard drive that you can reload and listen to again.

I record with a Zoom F3 stand alone recorder then upload the files to my pc for editing so I avoid the "ARM" step. I just hit record and I'm good.

That works for me (Zoom R8 in my case). The DAW I use is Cubase, which is vastly more complicated than I need. I've learned to tiptoe around the outer halls of the vast edifice and do the things I need to do.

I hope I never need to set up the wretched thing again, as there were some complicated bits that needed to be done which I don't remember how to do. (And probably did by accident the first time. )

D.H.

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 03-04-2024 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
I’m really feeling my age. Trying to record some simple backing tracks and so far I’ve spent hours trying to figure out my RC-3 and also my iRig into GarageBand. For some reason it just doesn’t stick.

I’ll follow a YouTube tutorial but there is so much info I tend to forget what I learned 5 minutes ago.

Question - Has anyone experienced this. And did you find a simple solution. These technologies have so many features that I don’t really need and the instruction gets so deep into them I think I get lost.
Well you have highlighted one of conundrums of home recording
i.e. the juxtaposition that every one who considers home recording faces = of spending the time to learn about it takes time away from playing

For example if you don't want to spend that time you can always just download some backing tracks from the internet .

Now that said :: if you decide you do want to take the time to learn about it
IMO sometimes looking for "simple solutions" sound good in theory but can also mean a translation of an "end around" approach that avoids learning some basic tech skills and knowledge and may not really be the best approach. Just a thought.

If you decide you do do want to learn home recording. This forum can be a wealth of knowledge experience and help
But it has to start with you helping yourself first
First I would start by trying to look at things with a more technical approach and being more detailed and technical in your thinking and posting

Perhaps instead of posting "my RC3" posting "my Boss RC3 loop pedal" (I assume that is what you. meant only because I had one)
And instead of saying "For some reason it just doesn’t stick.' perhaps give a more detailed technical explanation
Something like the signal is not getting into the Garage Band track (if that is what is actually happening)

If you start doing that you will in fact get more and better help ...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-04-2024 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:13 AM

I'm retired. I've had a history of helping folks along with DAW scenarios. I'm certified in both Logic and Pro Tools. I'm in luv with Studio One. I think all of these solutions have lite versions. If so inclined I'm available for phone conversations to help make some sense of the sometimes senseless. I'd guess my weakness of the three is Logic since I seldom visit since Studio One hit the market.

Please let me know if I can help.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:32 AM

Set up can be difficult--one of the trickier parts of digital recording is making sure the computer and interface can talk to one another and all the correct inputs and outputs are configured.

Once that is up, though, the basic "make a track, hit the button and record" is not that difficult, in any DAW. People feel overwhelmed, but for basic stuff you can ignore 95% of the widgets and geegaws that are available.

And in any software, you forget how to perform functions that you don't use regularly. I've been using Reaper for years, and still have to sometimes search for videos on how to do something I know I've done before, but can't remember now.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:

If you're interested in simply recording some backing tracks to play along with then I'll suggest you might be way over-complicating the way to do it quickly and easily. I do "backing tracks", either looped segments or complete songs, using only a looper. I've had a few, so I've got some preferences in that area.

I use a Electroharmonix 1440, mostly because it does everything I want it to do without the need to bend down and use my hands. (I'm old... )
I have a setup where one side of the stereo input is used for my guitar and a few other instruments (output routed to the Cube EX amp...) and the other side is used for my bass, with its corresponding output routed to a Fender Rumble 100 bass amp.

Doing a new backing track is as simple as flicking the power strip button, recording a basic guitar part, then overlaying a bass part on the "loop" I just created as the new "backing track". It takes only a couple of minutes to complete and uses no computer or DAW. Those things have their place, but not if you're simply doing a backing track to play along with or develop new songs.

The process is further explained in a few of my posts in the "How Do YOU Use A Looper?" topic. Specific information on how to make backing tracks with a looper is in post #13 in that topic.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-04-2024 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
I'm retired. I've had a history of helping folks along with DAW scenarios. I'm certified in both Logic and Pro Tools. I'm in luv with Studio One. I think all of these solutions have lite versions. If so inclined I'm available for phone conversations to help make some sense of the sometimes senseless. I'd guess my weakness of the three is Logic since I seldom visit since Studio One hit the market.

Please let me know if I can help.
Joseph, whenever I read one of your posts, I go right back to that time you helped me dig out of a Studio One rut. Some people are put on this earth with the impetus to help others. I had nearly thrown up my hands before you talked me down to the runway. You are a kind soul.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-04-2024, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Humm are you telling the OP he needs to arm the track in garage band before it will record ?

While true unfortunately from the limited and vague info so far , we do not yet actually know what exactly is or is not happening when attempting to record
For example if he is not getting the signal into garage band then record arm track will not fix the problem. It could be as simple as he has not selected the iRig as the audio device for GB ,we just don't know with out more detail

Also
Just curious when you say the F3 "avoids the arm step" do you actually mean the F3 avoids having to press play to record ? In other words, does the F3 start recording as soon as you slide on (technically arm) the record button ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-04-2024 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Without directly addressing your gear and how you're recording (which could probably be simpler, depending on what you want to do), I'll say that most adults, certainly by an age, learn best by "doing," and the best thing I ever did was to find a place and way to keep things set up, so I could sit down and record anytime with doing no more than maybe moving a mic stand or two (that already had mics on them), opening the DAW, and "pushing the red button." Rinse and repeat.

Learn to listen to hear where the problems are, like not tuning up, or not replacing that squeaky chair with one that doesn't squeak, forgetting to have a glass of water ready if you're going to sing, etc. Then work on getting mic positions so you can listen to your recording and not be thinking about why the guitar or vocal is too loud or quiet. Don't keep trying to record with one thing and when that doesn't work, go to a different setup - figure out just one thing at a time.

Good luck. (I was nearing retirement age when I started, and that's been a dozen years or so ago. You *can* figure this out.)
Old 03-04-2024, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’m really feeling my age.
It baffles nearly everyone in the beginning regardless of age. But like anything else, the more time you spend doing it, the more it starts to make sense and the easier it becomes. Also, bad recordings in the beginning are typical. There's an art to making a recording sound good and it's not something you master in a week or even in months.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 03-04-2024, 09:38 PM

The first entire year I began using a DAW most of my time spent was not recording; it was studying the manuals.

Welcome to the club.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:08 PM

Thank you all for the responses, the general consensus is to be patient and keep working on it.
I admit I get a bit frustrated with new technologies because there are so many features.

KevWind - when I said it didn’t stick, I meant the instruction into my memory. Seems I watch the tutorial and by the time it’s time for me to apply……it’s gone.

I appreciate the offers of personal help. What I think I’ll do is set aside a little more time to “learn” the product, make myself some notes and try some more.

If I have specific questions about the platforms or procedures I will check back in here.

Thanks all.
Epiphone Dot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD