The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2023, 09:55 AM

I had a 2005 L-09, I found the neck radius to be too flat,but maybe that has changed with the Calif builds...?
Old 02-27-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellatrab View Post
I had a 2005 L-09, I found the neck radius to be too flat,but maybe that has changed with the Calif builds...?
They went to a standard 16' radius a few years ago. The older line had a compound radius that went from 17-21, if I recall.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
They went to a standard 16' radius a few years ago. The older line had a compound radius that went from 17-21, if I recall.
Yeah & while I understand the market forces behind that decision I love the older compound radius necks. Thankfully, I have three that aren’t going anywhere!
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 02-27-2023, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post
Yeah & while I understand the market forces behind that decision I love the older compound radius necks. Thankfully, I have three that aren’t going anywhere!
Ditto!
Old 02-27-2023, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89bruin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Ditto!
Tritto!...??

My L-19 is from 1996 and I also love the compound radius fretboard.

When I purchased it, the salesperson told me that the braces are tapered some but not scalloped and thus, it's own sound. Although mine has a rosewood back I do not hear a lot of overtones. It seems a little "drier" if that makes sense. I bought it for these reasons as I had the D-41 and wanted something different-sounding.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 02-27-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
My little Larrivee is a very special guitar.

Larrivee built 15 of these little beauties

https://www.larrivee.com/news/p-09-b...imited-edition

https://www.larrivee.com/products/p-...k-limba-korina

On the track below, I love how it makes a great little bed for my voice, and how it blends so well with my electric Zemaitis guitar...

You should really consider doing some Rod Stewart tunes...
Old 02-27-2023, 11:36 PM

I am a converted Larrivee ex-Martin guy, tho will admit I'm not that good a player. I have 5 Larrivees, an OM-03 sitka/hog, OM-03 sitka/laurel, L-03 sitka/laurel, LSV-03 (Forum VI) moonwood/walnut, and an OM-50 moonwood/hog. I've had a bunch of other Larrivees, but these are the ones I have ended up with. The LSV and OM-50 have the hybrid bracing. The laurels are rare, from a run of 40 or so in 2016, and can be described as BZ-lite. As part of of nailing this collection down, I sold an L-10 BZ and traded a perfect LV-10, which sort of shows you don't need top-shelf Larrivees to get what you need.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in lytle View Post
I am a converted Larrivee ex-Martin guy, tho will admit I'm not that good a player. I have 5 Larrivees, an OM-03 sitka/hog, OM-03 sitka/laurel, L-03 sitka/laurel, LSV-03 (Forum VI) moonwood/walnut, and an OM-50 moonwood/hog. I've had a bunch of other Larrivees, but these are the ones I have ended up with. The LSV and OM-50 have the hybrid bracing. The laurels are rare, from a run of 40 or so in 2016, and can be described as BZ-lite. As part of of nailing this collection down, I sold an L-10 BZ and traded a perfect LV-10, which sort of shows you don't need top-shelf Larrivees to get what you need.
How would you describe the hybrid bracing vs the scalloped? I have an OM-09 and have been curious about an OM-40R. The OM-09 sounds perfect, but I'm curious to know what/how different 40R sounds.
Old 02-28-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
How would you describe the hybrid bracing vs the scalloped? I have an OM-09 and have been curious about an OM-40R. The OM-09 sounds perfect, but I'm curious to know what/how different 40R sounds.
Disclaimer. I am not a rosewood guy, though I have owned 4 in the past, including an L-09. And mostly I like the standard bracing.
Not sure if you know what the bracings look like. The "bracing pics" is a stock Larrivee photo. The other one is of the Forum VI taken during production, and oh, it seems non-symmetrical at the upper bout cause it was destined to be an LSV.
The hybrid bracing works well on any mahogany Larrivee of L-body or OM. On smaller guitars it has less effect. The effect is to provide a slight increase in the low end. With rosewood, depending on how you play, it can get muddy fast, especially with the L-body. I have been lucky in that our local dealer has carried many Larrivees and have been able to play them.
My LSV and OM-50 each have a different combination of things of things to affect the sound, like moonwood, walnut, large soundhole, 12 fret join, as well as the hybrid bracing. I would not get a hybrid braced guitar just because of the bracing.
Your OM-09 is a great guitar, and I don't think an OM-40Rwill give you anything. Now, if you were to find an OM-40 mahogany with a moonwood top and could play it, I think you would be surprised, and could have a nice compliment to the OM-09.
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORUM-VI-top 816a.jpg (33.5 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg bracing pics larrivee.jpg (26.3 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by mike in lytle; 02-28-2023 at 03:02 PM. Reason: error
Old 02-28-2023, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

I own 2 Larrivee’s. D-03R which was my first all solid wood guitar and a significant upgrade from what I had been playing and a L-03BW. I’m not the best person to describe tone, but I will say I love the tone and playability of these guitars. They’re both keepers for me. I’m definitely part of the larrivee fan club.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike in lytle View Post
Disclaimer. I am not a rosewood guy, though I have owned 4 in the past, including an L-09. And mostly I like the standard bracing.
Not sure if you know what the bracings look like. The "bracing pics" is a stock Larrivee photo. The other one is of the Forum VI taken during production, and oh, it seems non-symmetrical at the upper bout cause it was destined to be an LSV.
The hybrid bracing works well on any mahogany Larrivee of L-body or OM. On smaller guitars it has less effect. The effect is to provide a slight increase in the low end. With rosewood, depending on how you play, it can get muddy fast, especially with the L-body. I have been lucky in that our local dealer has carried many Larrivees and have been able to play them.
My LSV and OM-50 each have a different combination of things of things to affect the sound, like moonwood, walnut, large soundhole, 12 fret join, as well as the hybrid bracing. I would not get a hybrid braced guitar just because of the bracing.
Your OM-09 is a great guitar, and I don't think an OM-40Rwill give you anything. Now, if you were to find an OM-40 mahogany with a moonwood top and could play it, I think you would be surprised, and could have a nice compliment to the OM-09.
Mike
Great info, thanks. Yes I believe that between the hybrid and standard L'arrivee bracing the change is in the position and scalloping of the tone bars on the lower bout, but the main X and everything else is the same. I actually love the bass of the OM-09 - it seems just as bassy as the Martin couterparts but it's more... controlled? I believe I have the spruce top with moonwood bracing. I do love the look of the OM-44 series, so maybe one day I will add one of those.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:28 PM

Hi, any thoughts on a 1990's era L10 jumbo?
1975 Yamaha FG-200
2022 Iris ND-200 jumbo
Old 03-20-2024, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

I truly believe that Larrivees are the classiest production guitars out there...
Old 03-20-2024, 05:41 AM

I once played a used D-50 at guitar center. It was one of the nicest playing/sounding dreads I’ve ever played. Priced well below 2k, I should have snagged it. Of course it disappeared quickly. It’s sound was big like Martin, but less muddy and more balanced.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

I have an OM-40R that is a great player and sounds awesome. It has tons of rosewood overtones and responds incredibly well to fingers. Its loud and resonant with a pick, but incredibly warm finger picked.

Last edited by abn556; 03-22-2024 at 06:51 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
larrivee, larrivee 03, overtones, sustain, tone