The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 AM

Cool That "Dreaded" F Chord

To begin, for the benefit of Beetlescott and other noobs reading this thread, it's totally unnecessary to barre across the fretboard to play an F chord. Look it up of your fret diagram chart (if you have one) and you will see a big 'ol X for the low E on the diagram, which means you don't play it. It's not wrong if you can barre, but it's usually not required.

There are, however, times when this note is required, as when playing the song "House of the Risin' Sun" in the Key of C (even though the first chord is an Am). The bass part requires the player to pick an F note at the 4th beat, so do it between chords, or just prior to strumming the F chord. This will require some practice to do this efficiently, but there is another alternative, as well.

Use your capo to barre the entire first fret, and sing the song a half note higher, playing the song in the Key of Db, or go 2 frets with your trusty capo, and play the song in the Key of D (using the same C shape)...a full note higher. It's much easier to play any barre chord when you barre the 2nd or 3rd fret, as the farther away from the nut you move, the easier it becomes to barre.

I hope that helps.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

Last edited by scottishrogue; 08-24-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Ok, I'll bite - Why isn't a Bb a guitar chord? I can play it on my guitar . . .
very common in jazz. also, there is a sor study in Bb that is a very pretty piece, but i really struggle with it due to the extended barring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
Use your capo to barre the entire first fret, and sing the song a half note higher, playing the song in the Key of Db, or go 2 frets with your trusty capo, and play the song in the Key of D (using the same C shape)...a full note higher. It's much easier to play any barre chord when you barre the 2nd or 3rd fret, as the farther away from the nut you move, the easier it becomes to barre.
if your nut is at the proper height, i don't see how a capo would make much difference. on a too high nut, using a capo at the first would improve playability immensely. but regardless of the nut height, i don't see how moving a capo from the first fret to higher frets will make things easier to barre. it may improve the intonation somewhat on a too high nut, but otherwise i don't see any improvement. maybe i'm missing something.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
I, and everyone I know, struggled with it at one point. But, everyone that sticks with it eventually masters it.
This! Don't give up. Get your guitar set-up to your likings.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I don't see it either, it's the IV and bVI in the key of F and Dm respectively and it's the bVII in the key of C. Both pop up regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
if your nut is at the proper height, i don't see how a capo would make much difference. on a too high nut, using a capo at the first would improve playability immensely. but regardless of the nut height, i don't see how moving a capo from the first fret to higher frets will make things easier to barre. it may improve the intonation somewhat on a too high nut, but otherwise i don't see any improvement. maybe i'm missing something.
The nut is always higher than the frets - it has to keep the strings away from the frets behind what you're fingering in order to keep everything ringing nicely without buzzing. The capo will provide the clamping force to hold the strings to the fret. The fret is lower than the nut so the action becomes lower.

That's how I see it at least.

Last edited by Cue Zephyr; 08-24-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What I want to know is why Fm11 is not a guitar chord.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-24-2013, 08:14 AM

um guys, the B-flat comment was a joke. of course B-flat is a guitar chord and it is used often in guitar music. It is however very prevalent in jazz where horns are the center of gravity. I think it's fair to say that guitars want to gravitate more towards G and C and D, but no doubt you won't get very far in music if you can't voice a B-flat chord.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post

The nut is always higher than the frets - it has to keep the strings away from the frets behind what you're fingering in order to keep everything ringing nicely without buzzing. The capo will provide the clamping force to hold the strings to the fret. The fret is lower than the nut so the action becomes lower.

That's how I see it at least.
yes, i see what you mean. i'll have to check a couple of guitars and think about it. maybe an expert will weigh in.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:30 AM

Learn all of your chords. Don't add notes (or, for that matter, take them away) to play it. Just stick with the basic chords. You WILL learn how to do it. Cheating will never make you a better guitarist. The feeling of accomplishment of actually doing the chord correctly is worth every minute spent learning it.

1979 Martin D-35, 1978 Yamaha G230 classical, Yamaha A3R VS, Yamaha AC3R VS, Yamaha LS16 ARE sunburst, Yamaha NCX1200R Classical, Wechter TO-8418, Wechter DN 8128, Takamine EG334C.][/COLOR]
Old 08-24-2013, 08:36 AM

Scene from Friends

Phoebe: So, um, how many chords do you know?

Chrissie Hynde: All of them.

Phoebe: Oh yeah? so you know D?

Chrissie Hynde: Yeah.

Phoebe: Okay, do you know A minor?

Phoebe: Okay, do you know how to go from D to A minor?

Phoebe: Okay. Um, so does your guitar have a strap?

Chrissie Hynde: No.

Phoebe: Oh. Mine does.

Last edited by RobertForman; 08-24-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymartind35 View Post
Learn all of your chords. Don't add notes (or, for that matter, take them away) to play it. Just stick with the basic chords. You WILL learn how to do it. Cheating will never make you a better guitarist. The feeling of accomplishment of actually doing the chord correctly is worth every minute spent learning it.
First know the rules before you can break them.

I also started with the full barre F. I now change the way I play it according to what the music I want to play demands. Despite that, I still use the full barre F.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:44 AM

Great topic and I too have struggled with the F and Bb. What is funny if I don't pick up the guitars for a few days I am so relaxed and fool around just plinking chords and because its plinking and not a full practice session I have little problem with those chords But Once I practice everyday for 30 or more mins. all of a sudden I say "What the He**". I can't stretch my first finger on the first fret without cocking my wrist a lot and then my middle finger on the
strings for the F and worse on the Bb. I have to assume the more one plays hopefully the better they get at these two chords. What frustrates me is you watch skilled artist say playing on TV and like the country music concert show man guys wiz through the chords including the F or Bb. I am a stickler however I MAY yield and like on you tube there are variations for the F and Bb chords that are easier and one hardly notices leaving out 1 string makes a hugh difference. Go to you tube and type How to play the F chord or Bb.. lots of stuff.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:58 PM

Cool That "Dreaded" F Chord

One more suggestion to make your playing a full barre F, is to make sure your left hand is in the classical position (with the thumb on the back of the neck). It allows you to use more pressure to fret the first string, 2nd string, and 6th string at the same time.

And Cue Zephyr, you were bang on about the nut. The strings are higher over the nut than over the fret, so it's easier to use barre chords farther up the fretboard. I'm no expert, but I know how to measure the string height (even using the Metric system), so common sense prevails, once again. And the pressure on the string at the first fret CAN have a negative impact on intonation. (About 2 cents worth, I figure)

And RobertForman, I loved the except from "Friends!"

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

Last edited by scottishrogue; 08-24-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:40 PM

I usually use the thumb on 6th string barre chords all the way up to the A. Smarter not harder.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertForman View Post
um guys, the B-flat comment was a joke.
Oh, OK . . . I get it! I'm not as old as I look!
Old 08-24-2013, 04:06 PM

Early on, yes. Got passed it. Also, consider it to be problematic if the nut slots are not cut deeply enough.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write