The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2020, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Default Removing B-Band Pickup

Has anyone tried removing a B-Band pickup from a guitar? Thinking I really have no need for it want to take it out but don't want to destroy it in the process.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 01-29-2020, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

You might want to post this in the Acoustic Amplification section or ask the mods to move it for you as it might get a quicker response there. Just a thought.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-29-2020, 09:50 AM

3 years ago i talked to a local luthier and he could not remove it completely (as in remove the barndoor EQ controls) but he could disconnect it. so he installed a LR Baggs Lyric pickup that then connected to my strap button/connection and disconnected the B-Band. the controls remained (disconnected and useless), but the guitar sounded much better. i suppose it might be possible to replace with a barndoor style pickup that fit exactly the same but otherwise would be quite a mess to fill/remove in a tasteful way (at least that's what my luthier said at the time).
Old 01-29-2020, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

This system has the two little wheels that sit under the bass side of the sound hole and I think are used to control volume and tone. I just think I need to remove the whole thing right now. Don't want extra things lying around inside the guitar, especially the battery which could leak if not checked regularly, which means taking the strings off or loosening enough to squeeze my hand in there.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 01-29-2020, 11:52 AM

Does it have just the undersaddle pickup, or also the sound board transducer that sticks on the bridgeplate? If so, that should peel off quite easily.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Does it have just the undersaddle pickup, or also the sound board transducer that sticks on the bridgeplate? If so, that should peel off quite easily.
Actually since this is a new (preowned) guitar for me, I don't know exactly what it has... I suppose I should get that little dental mirror out and peer under the saddle. Would it possible have both UST and bridgeplate? I will look under the saddle next time I get a chance, possibly later today.
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 01-29-2020, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny B View Post
Actually since this is a new (preowned) guitar for me, I don't know exactly what it has... I suppose I should get that little dental mirror out and peer under the saddle. Would it possible have both UST and bridgeplate? I will look under the saddle next time I get a chance, possibly later today.
If there's a pickup adhered to the bridge plate, it won't be re-usable once you pull it off. The B-Band systems are modular, however, so someone would be able to buy another AST (what B-Band calls the soundboard pickup) and plug it into the preamp. (B-Band is out of business, but the Chinese are making cheap replacement parts if the user can't find an old stock AST.)

The UST can be pulled out of the saddle slot without damaging it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification