The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Hi Perchman,
I agree. Back in the usenet days, I belonged to a forum that was unmoderated--and wow, did things go south quickly. (You'll find other survivors of rmmga as regular posters here, but we're all 20 years older and less likely to snap over someone else's opinion as to what sort of strings to use on a sitka over mahogany guitar).

I agree with Kerbie. I've got friends here, even if I've never met them in person. And I enjoy hearing folks' take on strings, gear, and life in general. I've learnt a lot about guitars through the knowledge and experience of some of our posters.

The moderators do a great job.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-19-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
...if anyone thinks that a particular post is in violation of the rules, please report it to us by clicking the little red triangle at the top right of every post.
My comment was less about violations and more about certain posters who just rub me the wrong way conversationally - usually coming across too adamantly about a very subjective topic. There is plenty of gray in this world, and not everything can be pure black or pure white. I may well be on their ignore list too, and that's OK.

I have used the red triangle to report certain posts when necessary, but use it sparingly to minimize your workload.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:43 AM

I've had a few post's deleted and amended. I never took it personally.

The written word can come off differently to different readers. And, I'm kind of a gruff old redneck lumberjack type who IS offensive from time to time.

I must say, the moderators here do a pretty darned good job of keeping it sane.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-20-2019, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
The written word can come off differently to different readers.
You know, Murphy, that's VERY true! And I think the moderators try to look at something the way most AGF'ers would. On occasion, we think that might be very different from what the poster intended. Everybody brings their own baggage to the forum and we all interpret posts within the framework established by our prior experiences. That's a very good point and worth being remembered by all of us.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

The written word can come off differently to different readers.
Back when I would teach "netiquette" to college students, I would always tell them at ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you write on the internet, a text, or an email will always be interpreted as the worst way possible.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:21 AM

I expressed this same sentiment a while ago after taking a break.

I had bought a boat and was spending my screen time educating myself. There is a certain boat forum that evidently has no rules. People are downright harsh.

Trolling on a boat forum...ironic.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:54 PM

The mods do an excellent job here and J.R. keeps this place clean. The mods are very appreciated and you'll see threads and posts pop up stating this. Once again, a big Thank-You!

Perchman (OP) - thanks for this thread.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Default Ditto

Over the years I have encouraged a number of friends to join this forum, or at least use it as a resource when a guitar-related issue or question has been raised. I wouldn't do that if I thought they were entering a hostile environment. The tone and tenor of interactions on this forum are remarkably civil.
Taylor 714ce; Wechter/Scheerhorn square neck reso; Gibson TG-25, HP665; Rockbridge 000 Custom BZ; Guild DS-240, F112; Martin HD-28, J-40, D-15SS; Northwood L-00; Regal resonator; Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR; Larrivee L-03W; Gretsch resonator; Mackenzie/Marr Ian Tyson;

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic