The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-25-2019, 05:37 PM

There are all kinds of deals on Public Courses and packages if you do your homework. that being said, golf is still not an inexpensive hobby if you play more than once a week. Around here on our local public course a Senior can play 18 holes walking for $20 during the week. Nine holes walking will cost you $11.50.
It's a very nice, well-kept course with some challenging holes. If you want to ride in a cart, you can play nine for $20.
As far as clubs go, you can buy just about any decent clubs on the internet for pennies on the dollar. Take a look on EBay, there are tons of clubs for sale.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-26-2019, 05:31 AM

Default clubs

Used clubs are the way to go. Just allow in the "budget" for new grips, people sometimes forego that and it make s huge difference.
I'm a senior, and walk and carry my bag for 9 holes at the local muni for 12.00. It's less than 2 miles away, not particularly challenging or scenic, but is great exercise. I hate going to the gym. I can't wait to get to the golf course (usual score for nine is low 40's, when I keep score. Mostly just go to hit it around. To me, that's fun.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Cool My First...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Macgregor's Nicklaus signature woods were the Golden Bear, they were a step below the Tourney. I've got a Golden Bear 4 wood. The Ping putter is probably the most valuable, it was one of the first produced, probably made in Karsten's garage.

There were times when Jones could not get a sweat-soaked tie untied and it had to be cut off. It wasn't that hot the few tournaments I "dressed up" to play.
Funny... my first set of "real" irons were the Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear set from MacGregor, circa 1965... played them for a couple years until I took my first hiatus from the game, from 1966-1988...

I always call Golf, my Grand Green Game... just love it. The game succeeds on so many levels (kinda like playing the guitar); if all you want to do is whack the ball with the stick, it's a LOT of fun... and however serious you want to make it, it's a bit like an onion - so many layers one can "peel back" and discover the next level...

Lots of similarities to playing music... timing, rhythm, the ability to Stay Where You Are rather than looking ahead or behind or getting distracted by _______ (fill in the blank)... the pure enjoyment of hitting just ONE great shot in a round...

Golf is such a simple game, on the face of it - you hit the ball with the stick into the hole... and the more accomplished one becomes, it is paramount to remember "the point" of the game, as there are SO many things to distract you from that basic set of tenets... the weather, your playing partners, that HUGE sand trap or pond on the right side of the hole, your swing and whatever thoughts you have about that, that triple bogey you took on the third hole... all these things that really have nothing to do with the task at hand... hitting the ball with the stick into the hole in as few strokes as possible.

I think Lee Trevino said, "Golf is the most fun you can have with your clothes on... and, like sex, you don't have to be good at it to have a ball!" (I'm sure I paraphrased incorrectly)
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-26-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I've really enjoyed reading this thread, and have to chime in.

Golf was the biggest passion in my life as a kid until I was about 23, which is strange because my folks didn't play (but a grandfather did). I started caddying at age 11 and eventually worked as starter, caddymaster, driving range attendant, etc. Met some captains of industry, sports stars and other celebs. Got to caddy in the local PGA tour event several times. It was a great way to grow up. I learned a lot of social skills I still use today. I also got to hit a lot of practice balls and play a fair amount of junior and high school golf.

A family, career, other interests and most of all some persistent back problems have made me a very sporadic golfer for the past 25 years. But it drives my friends crazy when I can pick up a club for the first time in 3 years and beat them by a mile

There certainly are a lot of similarities with playing the guitar. They are both great lifetime activities that engage both the mind and the body. You can do it alone or with friends, but if you want to be good you have to spend some time by yourself. Ben Hogan said he dug his swing out of the dirt (on the driving range). When people ask John Mayer where he learned to play guitar "like that" he says "in my bedroom."

One thing that golfers seem to know that we might consider as musicians (or a wannabee, in my case) is that it is OK, and in fact can be quite enjoyable, to be average, or worse. No one asks a beginning golfer when he is going to start playing in tournaments. Golfers of all skill levels can compete together using the handicap system, and a sociable playing partner is more valued than one of great skill. If music was scored like golf I would never break 90, but I have so much fun with it! In a way I'm glad I came to the guitar later in life--I'm still on a journey of discovery, and while I might not go as far, the ride is my real destination.

Now back to your regularly schedule programming
Old 06-26-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

May well be more expensive than Snow Skiing who woulda thunk ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic