The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-08-2019, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

Default Advice sought re "YOUTUBE SPAM" ??

I have received an e-mail reading :

Hello ,

We received a complaint that there are many spam videos on your Youtube channel. But you don't have to worry. We'll review your channel by our youtube team and let you know by e-mail. We recommend that you do not upload new videos in this process. Fill in the following information and reply to this email. Otherwise, if your channel is not reviewed by our youtube team, your channel will be closed. Thank you for your patience in this process.

Channel URL :

Channel Content Topic :

Copyright [Yes / No] :

Your Channel Password :

- The YouTube Team

It was sent by a very ordinary Gmail account with a private name.

This looks very suspicious to me, and , there is nothing on my channel which meets their criteria for "YouTube spam"

I am not at all happy to advise my password, and would have thought that google/YouTube would know that.

However - I wold prefer to liaise direct with the "YouTube Team" via YouTube direct but can find no way of doing so.

Does anybody know anything about the workings of Youtube and ways to contact them - (I'm not very tech savvy).

Thanks in a advance.

Ol' Andy
Old 06-08-2019, 03:47 AM

I would ignore, delete and forget. It appears they want your information to hack your site. No legitimate administration would ask for your password. You have too much work in your site to get ransomed or deleted.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:25 AM

Hi Andy, Not sure if this is of any help but as YouTube is owned by Google you could report to them. If you use Gmail you can report phishing emails directly from the suspect email - see Google support here for instructions https://support.google.com/mail/answer/8253?hl=en

Alternatively, you can go to your Google account page where there will be an option to 'send feedback' bottom right pf page. I have never used this but it might be a way in to the Google bods.

YouTube
Old 06-08-2019, 04:34 AM

I would quote what my reply to that sort of scam would be, but it might get me banned (aka cursing like a drunken Norwegian sailor)
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Epiphone J-200-SCE
Gibson J-35
Taylor 416
Taylor 214ce
Ovation Balladeer

I cut my teeth on the bread of pure temptation.

I tried it all and I learned to fall Like I would

never hit the ground.

- Jeffrey Foucault
Old 06-08-2019, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
Hi Andy, Not sure if this is of any help but as YouTube is owned by Google you could report to them. If you use Gmail you can report phishing emails directly from the suspect email - see Google support here for instructions https://support.google.com/mail/answer/8253?hl=en

Alternatively, you can go to your Google account page where there will be an option to 'send feedback' bottom right pf page. I have never used this but it might be a way in to the Google bods.
I've done this - thanks,
Andy
Old 06-08-2019, 04:53 AM

Clearly a scam to get your password. Management would have access to everyone’s account and they don't need your password to conduct a review.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:24 AM

This looks like somebody is yanking your chain. I would ignore it. If it is legit, you will get another email.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I have received an e-mail.

This looks very suspicious to me.

I wold prefer to liaise direct with the "YouTube Team" via YouTube direct.
It's not a YouTube problem; the suspicious communication did not appear at a YouTube page--AKA, comments and/or videos that violate YouTube terms of service, for example.

It's a malicious Gmail phishing expedition, which definitely qualifies as a violation of Gmail policies.

And it must be reported.

Use the form at the following address to report such phishing emails that originate from Gmail accounts (even though it's probably a spoofed email, Google's Gmail technicians should be able to decipher it's forged intricacies):

I would like to report a Gmail user who has sent messages that violate the Gmail Program Policies and/or Terms of Use.

Last edited by Inyo; 06-08-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I have received an e-mail reading :

Hello ,

We received a complaint that there are many spam videos on your Youtube channel. But you don't have to worry. We'll review your channel by our youtube team and let you know by e-mail. We recommend that you do not upload new videos in this process. Fill in the following information and reply to this email. Otherwise, if your channel is not reviewed by our youtube team, your channel will be closed. Thank you for your patience in this process.

Channel URL :

Channel Content Topic :

Copyright [Yes / No] :

Your Channel Password :

- The YouTube Team

This looks very suspicious to me, and , there is nothing on my channel which meets their criteria for "YouTube spam"

I am not at all happy to advise my password, and would have thought that google/YouTube would know that.

However - I wold prefer to liaise direct with the "YouTube Team" via YouTube direct but can find no way of doing so.

Does anybody know anything about the workings of Youtube and ways to contact them - (I'm not very tech savvy).

Thanks in a advance.

Ol' Andy
Obviously you ignore and delete.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:25 PM

Obvious scammers.
Yamaha FG 410A
Cordoba Acero D9ce

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-08-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 06-09-2019, 04:36 PM
AGF Administrator

Google/YouTube would never ask for your password. It's a phishing attempt. Report it and delete it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic